Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you think GTA V will win GOTY

139 replies to this topic

Poll: Will GTA V win GOTY 2014? (480 member(s) have cast votes)

Will GTA V win GOTY 2014?

1. Yes (371 votes [83.56%])

Percentage of vote: 83.56%

2. No (73 votes [16.44%])

Percentage of vote: 16.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote
GTA_REEFER
  • GTA_REEFER

Eye in the sky

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Just finished The Last of Us and can't see why it's getting perfect scores. The story was great and so was the voice acting but just wasnt that great of a game and gameplay got boring and repetitive to me. GTA GOTY

Neckbeard
  • Neckbeard

who?

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 09:19)
Holy crap! The Last of Us is one of the greatest stories ever told, and it could only be told the way it was - and carry the same weight - through the medium of the video game. It's up there with the great movies, novels and plays and is a special moment for video game culture. R* need to concentrate on making the best GTA they've ever made, and not think about GOTYs, because seriously my head spins thinking about what they have to do to beat TLoU.

How is The Last of Us a great game?
I understand that the story is nice but the gameplay was below average.
It constantly feels like you're just playing through a level just to see how the story goes on in the next cutscene and not for the gameplay itself.
After 10 ladders and 200 strangled enemies it offers you nothing but the story and the horrible AI breaks the immersion way too much.
The best thing that "game" had to offer were some very good written characters.
It's the same with Bioshock Infinite but people always say the game was so amazing but in reality all there was to it was the story (which is pretty flawed when you really think about it).

TitsMcghehey
  • TitsMcghehey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

There is no official Game of the Year Award. Just a bunch of journalistic outlets whose choices differ. Some are more popular than others but none are respectable or taken seriously. The only ones I can think of that are really respected and taken seriously are the game developers choice awards and the BAFTA awards.

UnderWeb
  • UnderWeb

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Best game eva

user posted image

TitsMcghehey
  • TitsMcghehey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Holy crap! The Last of Us is one of the greatest stories ever told, and it could only be told the way it was - and carry the same weight - through the medium of the video game. It's up there with the great movies, novels and plays and is a special moment for video game culture. R* need to concentrate on making the best GTA they've ever made, and not think about GOTYs, because seriously my head spins thinking about what they have to do to beat TLoU.

The problem with the last of us was that it's huge premise was the emotional story. Stories are better told through more passive and strict mediums, like film and literature. Sure, a great story can act as a motivation for playing a game and continuing on, but if the gameplay mechanics aren't great, there's no point to a well written story. As harsh as it sounds, every story that has a distinct narrative can be told better through film.

Games, as a medium, need to understand their place and the strength and weaknesses that come with it. We can't keep mimicking movies. We can't keep disrupting gameplay with cutscenes. All these are signs of a very young medium that is still trying to figure things out.

There is a reason games like red dead redemption or dark souls for example were such roaring successes, both critically, commercially and with players because those games understood their place well. There needs to be more emphasis on the things that makes this medium special. Interactivity, exploration, randomness (meaning not as many scripted events), replay value etc.

It makes me sad to see that nowadays, so many games are using quick time events for complicated tasks, like the last of us. It's the most basic, simplest form of interaction, as interactive as a DVD menu. It just reflects the current state of AAA gaming. Publishers just want the quick and easy profit and aren't messing around with the "gameplay - cutscene - gameplay" schematic that has proven to be reliable and safe.

Frenzzy
  • Frenzzy

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

GTA V is the game of the year, for creating so much of hype in the fanbase.

WillyAK1
  • WillyAK1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

I think Call of Duty:Ghosts has a good chance of GOTY.. NOT! GTA or TLoU will more than likely split GOTY award's pretty even. Some might go to Bioshock.

DarrenC1888
  • DarrenC1888

Celtic FC Manchester United Champions!

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Of course it will.

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

For me it's got to be The Last Of Us. It's the only AAA game that's come around last few years that kept my interest, and an even rarer event made me want to replay after completion. I trusted Naughty Dog to provide a good experience, I stayed away from all the hype/demo so I wasn't sure WHAT it was going to be exactly.

I think this benefited my view of it. I enjoyed the surprise immensely, same way I enjoyed The Walking Dead game.

aldisdzerve
  • aldisdzerve

PetrolHead

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Not sure. Ether GTA or The Last Of US!
Also isn't it GOTY 2013? (it says GOTY 2014 in OP).

UnderWeb
  • UnderWeb

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

0:24

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

I've been reading the reviews for The Last of Us and it sounds like one of the greatest games ever. Community score of 9.1 on metacritic is the highest I have ever seen.

So, if GTA V does beat The Last of Us, then GTA V must be one hell of a great game and more likely be talked about as GOTD rather than just GOTY.

I hope that is the case but I think more likely is that it will be "great game" but not "wow greatest game EVAR!"

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

From what I've heard, it should.

Versous
  • Versous

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

It's going to be tough against the last of us, but eventually yes.

UnderWeb
  • UnderWeb

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

TLOU is the most overrated game of this gen.

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

What people seem to forget is, there's not a single GOTY. Lots of websites choose their own GOTY.

aldisdzerve
  • aldisdzerve

PetrolHead

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Neckbeard @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 10:07)

It constantly feels like you're just playing through a level just to see how the story goes on in the next cutscene and not for the gameplay itself.
After 10 ladders and 200 strangled enemies it offers you nothing but the story and the horrible AI breaks the immersion way too much.
It's the same with Bioshock Infinite but people always say the game was so amazing but in reality all there was to it was the story (which is pretty flawed when you really think about it).

I agree! I played The Last Of Us just for story!
To be honest i didn't even like to play it - but i kept playing to see story and cutscenes!
Man those were awesome!
I would really enjoy just watching how someone plays that game!
I mean that story is SOOOO good!
Gameplay was.. well ok, whatever, but story and characters were amazing.. cannot get it out of my head!

j.hunt
  • j.hunt

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

user posted image

aldisdzerve
  • aldisdzerve

PetrolHead

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

For me i will say The Last of Us!
Sure gameplay wasn't great, but i played for story!
In fact i was just waiting for every playable part to end faster so i can see next great cutscene!
I mean The Last of Us was first game that EVER made me really care for characters and scream loud to TV in the end of the game! It really was BEST i have EVER seen from game!
Play it again? - NO! I didn't like to play it - its more like great movie - its better to just watch it than play!

Grand Cannon
  • Grand Cannon

Everywhere and Nowhere

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (aldisdzerve @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 03:24)
QUOTE (Neckbeard @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 10:07)

I agree! I played The Last Of Us just for story!
To be honest i didn't even like to play it - but i kept playing to see story and cutscenes!
Man those were awesome!
I would really enjoy just watching how someone plays that game!
I mean that story is SOOOO good!
Gameplay was.. well ok, whatever, but story and characters were amazing.. cannot get it out of my head!

So many feels in that game ;_; I really love GTA and all but as others said, there are a lot of good rivalries out there that have a high chance of snatching GOTY.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Ice cold slavic killer

• Serbia

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

I really enjoyed my play through of TLOU, but I agree it's a bit overrated by critics in much the same way GTA IV is.

Whilst I thought the story was well written it wasn't anything mindblowing IMO. I cared greatly for Joel and Ellie, but the story wasn't something we've never seen before. Graphics are probably the best of any PS3 game I've played and gameplay was great, but was a bit frustrating at times. The A.I was hardly perfect. I'd say TLOU is one of this gen's gems, but now a few weeks have passed since the initial excitement I refuse to believe it can't be beaten.

GTA V has the potential to do so.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (UnderWeb @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 11:21)
TLOU is the most overrated game of this gen.

Why do you say that? Have you played it? The Last of Us is one of the greatest games this generation.

The people hating on it either are:
- Xbox Fans
- GTA Fanboys
-Telling the truth from experience ( Which this doesn't seem like the case for most people )

(No hate to IV lovers ) but GTA IV was one of the most overrated games this gen. Shouldn't of got all those perfect scores.

There's a chance GTA V will win but that's only with gameplay. A story about heists isn't as good as The Last of Us.

urbanfire
  • urbanfire

Ze Fire of da City

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:59 AM Edited by urbanfire, 04 July 2013 - 12:01 PM.

QUOTE (RockStarNiko @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 11:18)
I've been reading the reviews for The Last of Us and it sounds like one of the greatest games ever. Community score of 9.1 on metacritic is the highest I have ever seen.

So, if GTA V does beat The Last of Us, then GTA V must be one hell of a great game and more likely be talked about as GOTD rather than just GOTY.

I hope that is the case but I think more likely is that it will be "great game" but not "wow greatest game EVAR!"

i just finished Last of Us, and my god it was AMAZING. Graphically it looks next gen (better looking than even Titanfall & Killzone IMO), story was truly emotional (first time I actually choked up on numerous occasions in a game), and the gameplay was really innovative (really amps up stealth aspects, has actual survival horror in it unlike RES6, and really forces you to think about your ammunition as guns are scarce).

Although I really hope GTA V becomes GOTY, but man, to be honest, Last Of Us is a true masterpiece. While GTA V will be the most fun I'll have in any game this year, but I truly doubt the story is going have as much a lasting emotional impact as the Last of Us.

LennonNL
  • LennonNL

English Rose

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Considering all the next gen games are coming out in November-ish time? You serious?!

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

The Last of Us and Bioshock are more 'GOTY material', although I'm confident GTAV will be better than both.

burner12
  • burner12

GTA Series Forever!

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'd buy it. Sometimes comes sometimes come in handy when yourr suck. It sometimes comes in handy when you area studk. Plus it shows all the vehicle maps locations and things.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Ice cold slavic killer

• Serbia

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (burner12 @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 23:52)
I'd buy it. Sometimes comes sometimes come in handy when yourr suck. It sometimes comes in handy when you area studk. Plus it shows all the vehicle maps locations and things.

Whoa, Wrong thread buddy. tounge.gif

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (TitsMcghehey @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 10:32)

The problem with the last of us was that it's huge premise was the emotional story. Stories are better told through more passive and strict mediums, like film and literature. Sure, a great story can act as a motivation for playing a game and continuing on, but if the gameplay mechanics aren't great, there's no point to a well written story. As harsh as it sounds, every story that has a distinct narrative can be told better through film.

Games, as a medium, need to understand their place and the strength and weaknesses that come with it. We can't keep mimicking movies. We can't keep disrupting gameplay with cutscenes. All these are signs of a very young medium that is still trying to figure things out.

There is a reason games like red dead redemption or dark souls for example were such roaring successes, both critically, commercially and with players because those games understood their place well. There needs to be more emphasis on the things that makes this medium special. Interactivity, exploration, randomness (meaning not as many scripted events), replay value etc.

It makes me sad to see that nowadays, so many games are using quick time events for complicated tasks, like the last of us. It's the most basic, simplest form of interaction, as interactive as a DVD menu. It just reflects the current state of AAA gaming. Publishers just want the quick and easy profit and aren't messing around with the "gameplay - cutscene - gameplay" schematic that has proven to be reliable and safe.

icon14.gif
I couldn't agree more.

LennonNL
  • LennonNL

English Rose

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 12:54)
QUOTE (burner12 @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 23:52)
I'd buy it.  Sometimes comes sometimes come in handy when yourr suck.  It sometimes comes in handy when you area studk. Plus it shows all the vehicle maps locations and things.

Whoa, Wrong thread buddy. tounge.gif

lol.gif lol.gif I didn't understand a word never mind being in the wrong thread!

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Let me just ask one thing WHAT IS GOTY?

I know what it means, I'm asking you which GOTY would you consider THE GOTY as in my point of view GOTY is just another post that every magazine and website does annually and everyone's got their opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users