Quantcast

» «
Photo

Which Liberty City do you prefer?

13 replies to this topic

Poll: Which rendition of Liberty City did you like most? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Which rendition of Liberty City did you like most?

1. GTA III (17 votes [35.42%])

Percentage of vote: 35.42%

2. GTA IV (31 votes [64.58%])

Percentage of vote: 64.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote
G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Just a simple question, which version of Liberty City did you find the most enjoyable to explore? Some people say that LC in GTA IV was grey and dull. If that's the case, is GTA III's version better? It's hard for me to choose perfectly, but I like LC in GTA III for it's inspiration from different cities (not just NYC), the variety of locations and the surprise I got from how expansive it was at the time. However, I also like LC in GTA IV for it's larger size, lifelike streets and just in general being a complete NYC caricature. Both are equally fun for me so it's hard to choose, but I'd go with GTA IV simply just for being larger.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

I prefer IV, I like the vibe it gives and all the different boroughs are great

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

I prefered III's Liberty City. III wanted to be a generic city, and they succeeded in that. IV just wanted to become a copy of NYC

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

Tough question. I voted for III era Liberty City simply because of... that thing, that magic. You don't see it in GTA IV. Honestly, I don't now what it is.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

GTA IV's LC. GTA III's is great, but it's very rare NYC's major boroughs are represented in a video game. So I don't think it's fair to GTA IV to say it was a carbon copy when maps like GTA IV aren't very common.

Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and New Jersey don't get much exposure in an open world environment.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 07:21)
GTA IV's LC. GTA III's is great, but it's very rare NYC's major boroughs are represented in a video game. So I don't think it's fair to GTA IV to say it was a carbon copy when maps like GTA IV aren't very common.

Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and New Jersey don't get much exposure in an open world environment.

The only other game I can think of that had a rendition of NYC featuring more than one borough was Driver: Parallel Lines. But other than that, you make a great point.

Target13
  • Target13

Member of the Row

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 23:41)
because of... that thing, that magic.

You see it in the Movies, I Wanted to retire From what i was doing, you know? from That, That line of Work. Be A Good guy for once. FAMILY MAN, So, I Bought a big house, came here, Get My Feet up, Thought I'd be a dad like all the other Dads. My Kids? They'll be like the Kids on TV. They play Ball, Sit in the sun, But Well....You How It IS....

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Target13 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 09:53)
QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 23:41)
because of... that thing, that magic.

You see it in the Movies, I Wanted to retire From what i was doing, you know? from That, That line of Work. Be A Good guy for once. FAMILY MAN, So, I Bought a big house, came here, Get My Feet up, Thought I'd be a dad like all the other Dads. My Kids? They'll be like the Kids on TV. They play Ball, Sit in the sun, But Well....You How It IS....

icon14.gif

I still hope for a new next-gen (PS5 maybe?) version of Liberty City. Bigger and Better + San Andreas State + VC.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Liberty City in GTA III was a dark and gritty place, and it was very nostalgic. It was a little tiny, but every time I play the game, it makes me feel special. It's a feeling that I only have in this game, and in Vice City. IV's rendition of Liberty City was pretty well done too. Unlike III's rendition, it only represented one city, and that is New York. It looks a lot like the real life counterpart, yet it feels unique, and it's imaginative. It's also dark and gritty, which fits perfectly to the setting and the atmosphere, in my opinion. Not to mention that it contained the typical Rockstar humour (State of Happyness, GetaLife Building, et cetera).

I love both renditions of Liberty City, but if I would have to choose one, then I would go with the one in GTAIV.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

I prefer GTA IV's LC. It is huge with many areas to explore. I even still find new places that I haven't noticed before. GTA III's LC gets my vote for the best atmosphere and nostalgia, though.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

GTA III's city. It had a magic to it.

That and vanilla IV sucked in my opinion. The two DLC's were good though.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Gst0395 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 03:34)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 07:21)

The only other game I can think of that had a rendition of NYC featuring more than one borough was Driver: Parallel Lines.

Yes, Driver: Parallel Lines actually surprised me. I thought it was going to be a boring map but I enjoyed the different neighborhoods.

I voted III because I prefered the the third island in the III era over IV's.

TheRyder001
  • TheRyder001

Thug Life

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

GTA III Liberty City Version.
I have many memories from my childhood for this game

GTA IV is good also but I prefer oldschool GTA.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

There's something about the III version that I love. It has a unique, gritty atmosphere that I've never seen so well captured in a game. You rarely see the sun and the streets really feel hopeless and unsafe with all the crazy gangs shooting at you in every other neighborhood. Plus it's well divided between the industrial part that is Portland, the business district in Staunton and the villas and expensive homes in Shoreside Vale.

IV did a great job copying New York City with the modern feeling and excellent graphics but in a game, I love it when they do their own unique take on something and R* has been very good with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users