Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Last of Us vs. Bioshock Infinite

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of the two is a superior game (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the two is a superior game

1. The Last of Us (32 votes [64.00%])

Percentage of vote: 64.00%

2. Bioshock Infinite (12 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. Unsure/Undecided (6 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

Both released in the first half of 2013, Bioshock Infinite by 2k's Irrational Games and The Last of Us by Sony's Naughty Dog.

Bioshock Infinite largely reboots the series with a first-person shooter set place in a 1912 jingoist society in the sky, spanning an infinite amount of alternate universes. The Last of Us debuts as a survivor horror third person stealth action game, based in an apocalyptic zombie-infested world with survival as the sole goal.

In my opinion, both are excellent games and candidates for game of the year (at least until you-know-what comes out).

Criteria (which ones are more important depends on the individual person):

* Innovation - TLOU
Bioshock Infinite naturally has the disadvantage here because it's a sequel. While it is a totally new adventure, it does keep Bioshock 1's DNA, and Infinite while a worthy followup, will never have the same impact the first entry had, simply because it was the first. The Last of Us had the advantage of being the first of it's kind. Survival horror has been a genre long in need of help and many zombie-based games over the years have been disappointing. The Last of Us wins in innovation, but it's largely based on external circumstances rather than the games themselves.

* Story - BI
The Last of Us has a great story, on an emotional level, but on a logical plot level, it's rather simplistic (although still well done). Infinite's complex, mind-bending plot on the other hand is much better calculated and executed. Even if it relies on a cheap trick to fuel all of the confusion, it was a creative risk that paid off. As far as the ending segments of the games go, TLOU had great heart-wrenching moments as well as moral dilemmas. No need to say Infinite had a more impressive finale, but also the fact that it's much better executed cinematically whereas TLOU was a bit curt in its last few seconds.

* Characters - BI
Okay, there is no denying the bond between Joel and Ellie how special it is. It may very well be superior to that of Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth. But when you look at the entire cast as a whole, TLOU feels flat. BI has a wonderful cast of characters aside from the protagonists, including a more memorable villain (Comstock was much better than Marlene), the entertaining Lutece twins, the giant paternal Songbird as well as a world of other entertaining NPC's.

* Visuals - BI
If you look at them technically, it's no contest that The Last of Us wins. It is a beautiful game. Not to say TLOU isn't, but Bioshock Infinite's visuals are moreso based on art than technicality. With a grander color scheme, a bit of a fictional surreal feel to it, it's timeless. And I think graphically, TLOU will become a bit dated in 5 years whereas BI will still look fresh (as the original Bioshock still does today).

* Gameplay - TLOU
There's nothing bad about Bioshock Infinite's gameplay, but it is a bit safe and isn't fundamentally different from the original Bioshock or other FPS games. Of course, it is more refined and very enjoyable to play. But The Last of Us offers a much more lethal, intense and engaging gameplay. It is a bit unique with stealth elements, as you spend most of your time crawling in the shadows to position yourself for quick and decisive clashes with unsuspected enemies. The pressure is always on and it is unlike any other action game I've played.

* Replay Value - TLOU
Both campaigns are of similar length and both are worth replaying. The Last of Us wins this category because it has online. Not just an adequate online, but a great online that carries it's wonderful gameplay to the world.

Personally, I'd say both are great choices, but I prefer The Last of Us. Simply put, the gameplay matters the most, which TLOU has. Also, innovation is a huge issue for me. Simply put, TLOU blew me away with it's greater degree of originality in gameplay aside from graphics. Infinite felt like a beautiful museum to tour through, but TLOU was an experience that you are much more involved and immersed in.

I give Bioshock Infinite 9/10 and The Last of Us 9.5/10.

Be sure to share your opinion. Thanks.

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:02 AM Edited by Futurama_Freak1, 02 July 2013 - 07:05 AM.

I pick the one that has Troy Baker as the lead.

...wait.

In that case I pick the one with sweet-ass jailbait as the AI partner and not some lame of age woman with huge jubblies. Who wants that? Pfft.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

FPS Apples.

3rd Person Oranges.

Both are high quality games easily in my top 5 for the year thus far but I like them for entirely different reasons.

I also took different impressions from both though I would say they are unified in a sort of "man vs the greater good" theme to be sure.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Futurama_Freak1 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 07:02)

In that case I pick the one with sweet-ass jailbait as the AI partner and not some lame of age woman with huge jubblies. Who wants that? Pfft.

lmao, you're sick.

btw i find elizabeth hot. ellie is too young haha

Neckbeard
  • Neckbeard

who?

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

Well The Last of Us is better but to be honest they are both poor games

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (Neckbeard @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 11:13)
Well The Last of Us is better but to be honest they are both poor games

Why are they both "poor" games

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Maybe if you're going to judge visuals on art style then there should be another category for graphics?

I'm nitpicking

Futo
  • Futo

Yeah i'm busy, call me back!

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:19 AM Edited by Futo, 05 July 2013 - 10:29 AM.

The first couple hours of bioshock were the most impressive when u were exploring Colombia and i thought it was gonna be really special, but the game got so so in parts after that and didn't do a lot new. I rushed towards the finish because i just wanted it to end....

...whereas I did'nt want The Last Of Us to end at all. That game kept me gripped and interested over 2 playthru's. It really was a masterpiece and a had story that has stayed with me.

That one is a 3rd person and the other is 1st person doesn't matter if your judging them as goty contenders. TLoU is superior in nearly everyway imo. Storytelling, characters, graphics, sound, gameplay mechanics, etc.

nigelhere9901
  • nigelhere9901

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Which version of Bioshock Infinite are you comparing TLOU to?

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Can't compare? Both games are aiming for something else. One is a FPP shooter with an 'art' style graphics, second one is a TPP survival shooter with 'realistic' style graphics. Different settings, much different stories, different characters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users