Photo

Ban and Cut-Version

237 replies to this topic
Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 01:40)
Im a bit worried atm.
Saints Row was banned in Australia and gets a cut in Germany. Although SR is way less realistic in terms of graphics ( which is something that SR devs did want )

Im like 80% certain that GTA will get a cut in Germany or even a ban in Australia.
I already canceled my pre order and pre ordered the Pegi Special Edition on german Amazon. I guess since german Amazon has listed the Uncut Pegi Version, the german Version is expected to get a cut...

Although I could play Pegi, that would likely cause problems with DLC or even online play. (In SR1 and 2 you only were able to play against germans if you had the german version..)

Why don't you simply order it from, let's say, the Netherlands? (Or even better, go pick it up there if you're within an hour driving distance tounge.gif )
Or do these banned games actually get intercepted by mail? I always assumed these bans would mean that German reallife and digital stores weren't allowed to sell them (and even that's rediculous).

tommzy2
  • tommzy2

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

the australian version of the lost and damned wasn't cut, i saw that small penis, lol. if that game isn't banned here in australia, i don't see why GTA V would be xD

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

Only got a PC for Gaming

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Well, remember this?

http://mp1st.com/201...ailer-listings/

I know it's about an unofficial PC version, but they confirmed it was real and their SE leaked version was confirmed. Anyway this is an "uncut" version, which means there will be a censored one I guess, otherwise they wouldn't make the distinction. monocle.gif

PHOENIXZERO
  • PHOENIXZERO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

Australia got its R18+ rating FINALLY applied to games and IIRC that went into effect at the start of this year. I doubt GTA V is going to have anything like the reasons those two games still got banned, Volition will pull the anal probe weapon and their nanny state censorship board will let it through. Australia doesn't have a constitutional or legal protection of Freedom of Speech like the US and other places, the only speech protected is political IIRC and even if it did it would probably be treated differently anyway.

southparkmayor
  • southparkmayor

Derp

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 02:04)
QUOTE (RichyB @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 12:52)
Why would it not be? GTA IV was banned in Australia, or at least the uncut version was for a time.

They had to make substantial changes to it before it was released there as I remember.

I picked it up on release day. Apparently they made some minor cuts, but I didn't notice any. Pooling of blood underneath dead bodies, and prostitutes. However, as soon as you loaded up the game about a week later you had to install an update and somehow - prostitutes were back in.

That's a good idea. Cut out some stuff considered inappropriate and sneak it back in with a patch. That's a subtle "f*ck you" to the ratings boards. I like it.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (z06z33 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 15:00)
Why are they banning stuff anyway why does the government feel that it can tell me what I can and can't play I'm no child and I can make my own choices!

To make themselves feel important. Yes I'm still salty that Manhunt 2 got banned in the UK and had to be censored because now I doubt we will ever see a Manhunt 3.

NEONPOWER2
  • NEONPOWER2

███ The Last Genius ███

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

thx for the hint , also pre ordered the pegi version from german amazon now ... but the CE you cant get a pegi version of confused.gif

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:55 AM

My biggest concern is not the SR4 ban regarding the so called sexual violence in the game but the drug use element that was also targeted by the board. Judging by the descriptions and trailers it is safe to assume that trevor is involved in the trade of narcots in V. I could easily forsee many missions strings related to this and even his special somehow connected to it also. If this becomes a sticking point for the board R* will have to do some heavy modification to the game, meaning a possibly very noticeable difference in not only plot but gameplay elements. Depending on the extent of the work needed for V to meet the requirements of the AUS board, the problem of wether it is financially viable for R* to do so is also something im a bit worried about.

wannaslide
  • wannaslide

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

how do we find out if the Aus version gets cut or not ? because if it does I will cancel my pre order and buy online somewhere .

Travs.
  • Travs.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Ill be so upset if it gets banned in Aus or even cut.

UltimateVenom
  • UltimateVenom

We are Vemon!

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (Dre23 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 12:54)
Does anyone of you know when GTA IV got its rating? About two months left so I think it's about time, isn't it?
Actually GTA V has to be uncut IMO because GTA IV was uncut as well so I don'T see any reason why they should cut some things out. But of course you never know.

GTA IV was classified on 2007-12-12

Source: http://www.classific...e...ojiNw%3d%3d

and I believe GTA IV was released on 29 April 2008 in Australia, so that makes it 139 days before release...

SMG
  • SMG

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

There is about a 50/50 chance of it being Refused Classification in Australia, and then it will most likely be accepted after cuts and resubmission.

It depends wholly on what the Classification Board feel like.

It doesn't matter who is the Prime Minister eg: Gillard/Rudd/Abbott, they don't make the decisions and don't care enough to get involved.

The laws are so loose and subjective that it is impossible to tell if they are going to take issue with anything, as it is mostly based on the opinions of 8 people (link) and how they choose to fit it into the Guidelines. That's exactly what they are - Guidelines. For example, drug use is allowed under R18 if it fits in with the context. It is not allowed out of context. What is and isn't in context? That is up to the panel.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (GourangaMaster @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 12:55)
My biggest concern is not the SR4 ban regarding the so called sexual violence in the game but the drug use element that was also targeted by the board. Judging by the descriptions and trailers it is safe to assume that trevor is involved in the trade of narcots in V. I could easily forsee many missions strings related to this and even his special somehow connected to it also. If this becomes a sticking point for the board R* will have to do some heavy modification to the game, meaning a possibly very noticeable difference in not only plot but gameplay elements. Depending on the extent of the work needed for V to meet the requirements of the AUS board, the problem of wether it is financially viable for R* to do so is also something im a bit worried about.

Considering CTW had a whole drug dealing system R* may only find themselves in hot water if Trevor can take drugs himself, but then again I was thinking in the first two Saints Row games you could smoke bongs/joints.

I guess it depends on the extent of which it's involved. Drug dealing isn't a new concept in GTA though. I'm confident the worst case scenario is if drugs can be used they may be removed which doesn't bother me if it is.

SkylineGTRFreak
  • SkylineGTRFreak

Blackhawk lover

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Tbh, the cut version of past GTAs has almost been the same version as the uncut one. No real differences to see

mas negro
  • mas negro

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (iNero @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 01:40)
Im a bit worried atm.
Saints Row was banned in Australia and gets a cut in Germany. Although SR is way less realistic in terms of graphics ( which is something that SR devs did want )

Im like 80% certain that GTA will get a cut in Germany or even a ban in Australia.
I already canceled my pre order and pre ordered the Pegi Special Edition on german Amazon. I guess since german Amazon has listed the Uncut Pegi Version, the german Version is expected to get a cut...

Although I could play Pegi, that would likely cause problems with DLC or even online play. (In SR1 and 2 you only were able to play against germans if you had the german version..)

It won't get cut or banned in Germany. I'm not sure about Australia though.
GTA IV, EFLC, RDR, MPIII all had nudity, drugs, guns, violence, lots of blood and gore.

None of them got banned. Sleeping Dogs got cut in Germany. But you know what to do, right? Get the PEGI version from Austria.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

never said it will get a ban in germany. but a cut is very likely. except for GTA4 all GTAs are cut in Germany ( dont know about 1 & 2)

Mr. Cozzarelli
  • Mr. Cozzarelli

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 14:22)
but a cut is very likely. except for GTA4 all GTAs are cut in Germany

And why do you think things will be different with V?

IV didn't get cut (after two appeals BTW), because the committee stated, that any use of violence is possible, however it is not required to play the game. The criterions for an indexing of the game were not given.
Actually, I expect the same thing for V.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Cozzarelli @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 15:31)
QUOTE (iNero @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 14:22)
but a cut is very likely. except for GTA4 all GTAs are cut in Germany

And why do you think things will be different with V?

IV didn't get cut (after two appeals BTW), because the committee stated, that any use of violence is possible, however it is not required to play the game. The criterions for an indexing of the game were not given.
Actually, I expect the same thing for V.

because there wasnt anything which was worth a cut in 4?!

In 5 you can likely pour gas over persons and ignite it...
And obviously there will be a lot more of such stuff. In GTA4 you couldnt do anything at all tbh.

Then there is the SR4 cut. And SR4 has this comic-like graphics while GTA5 has more realistic raphics which is another reason it could be cut if the violence is there.

Gears 3 only did get no cut because they said the characters looked far from being human...

Undertaker13
  • Undertaker13

I'm not bullsh*tting!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

I read somewhere that the USK refused to rate Saints Row 4, is that true?

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 10:39)
QUOTE (GourangaMaster @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 12:55)

Considering CTW had a whole drug dealing system R* may only find themselves in hot water if Trevor can take drugs himself, but then again I was thinking in the first two Saints Row games you could smoke bongs/joints.

I guess it depends on the extent of which it's involved. Drug dealing isn't a new concept in GTA though. I'm confident the worst case scenario is if drugs can be used they may be removed which doesn't bother me if it is.

Yeah thats a fair point. Thats another infuriating thing about the board is they are so inconsistent with what they deem acceptable. One game is targeted for certain content whilst others containing equally if not more extreme instances of that very material are completey ignored. I remember left 4 dead 2 being censored for AUS due to limb dismemberement of "infected' on the technicality enemies are infact human and not zombies. Prototype on the otherhand goes through completey unscathed and you can rip "infected" people to absolute shreads in it too. Its fackin retarded.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (AuSsIeThUnDeR36 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 13:13)
GTA V won't be banned.
Gillard got sent her marching orders.

The prime minister actually has very little control over games, ratings, and what does/doesn't get banned.

It was the Attorney General we had at the time that was blocking off attempts to introduce higher ratings laws (Which are actually exactly the same except under an R18+ category.) because the attorney general had to sign off on the bill or whatever, and he refused, but he left the job last year or this year, I forget.

Here - http://en.wikipedia....ichael_Atkinson (See Media classification and censorship.

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

GTA IV was uncut in Germany.. even Max Payne 3 kept their gore level, only the civilians couldn't be killed in the censored german version. That's it.

So it's rather unlikely V will not be uncensored here. Not sure about Australia.. they seem to be stricter about that.

The USK (rating agency) can be unpredictable sometimes. For instance the game Lollipop Chainsaw is uncut and rated for ages 16 and up (instead of 18 in like most countries).

Mr. Cozzarelli
  • Mr. Cozzarelli

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (iNero @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 14:37)
because there wasnt anything which was worth a cut in 4?!

In 5 you can likely pour gas over persons and ignite it...

I see what you mean.
But I can't see a difference between this and throwing a molotov at someone.

But I'm not with the USK board. Maybe some douche from there has another pov.

Anyways, I think it is no good sign, that the rating takes so long. It's about the same as with IV back in '07/'08.
They defined IV's rating in the third instance after TTWO had appealed against the rating denial... confused.gif

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

If GTA V get banned in Australia then Donald McDonald will be the most hated man in Australia.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

A lot of it is down to context. It depends whether the contentious element in question is framed in a context that makes it acceptable or if it's simply gratuitous.

GTA is a lot more story driven than SR and that story tends to be a lot more mature. It's better able to provide a valid context for the crimes you are asked to perform in the game. That said, if I recall correctly, Australia's new certification guidelines do make a specific point about material that rewards drug use. And it's possible that no amount of context will be able to mask any part of the game's activities that deals with Trevor's drug dealing.

But Rockstar ought to know what they are doing. I really doubt they will just blindly throw the game together and submit it to certification as is. They know they are making a potentially controversial game with potentially controversial content. I think that they will have read all the certification rules from all the various territories and will have tried to tweak the game so that it will pass. I wouldn't be surprised if they even open a dialogue with certain certification bodies before they attempt a submission in order to mitigate any issues rather than waste anyone's time.

Unless someone has a bee up their ass about GTA (and let's face it, there are people out there that do), I'd be surprised if GTA got a fail anywhere.

NZcj
  • NZcj

1hunna

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (billy james @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 02:20)
Donald McDonald

HAHA^^^ farken aussies for ya lol.gif

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE ([DRuG]Smallo @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 19:42)
Won't get banned in Australia. Only reason Saints Row got banned was due to sexualised violence and drug use for player gain which is not likely to be in GTAV.

Trevor is a meth addict and there will more than likely be topless women in strip clubs this time around.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 18:00)
A lot of it is down to context. It depends whether the contentious element in question is framed in a context that makes it acceptable or if it's simply gratuitous.

GTA is a lot more story driven than SR and that story tends to be a lot more mature. It's better able to provide a valid context for the crimes you are asked to perform in the game. That said, if I recall correctly, Australia's new certification guidelines do make a specific point about material that rewards drug use. And it's possible that no amount of context will be able to mask any part of the game's activities that deals with Trevor's drug dealing.

But Rockstar ought to know what they are doing. I really doubt they will just blindly throw the game together and submit it to certification as is. They know they are making a potentially controversial game with potentially controversial content. I think that they will have read all the certification rules from all the various territories and will have tried to tweak the game so that it will pass. I wouldn't be surprised if they even open a dialogue with certain certification bodies before they attempt a submission in order to mitigate any issues rather than waste anyone's time.

Unless someone has a bee up their ass about GTA (and let's face it, there are people out there that do), I'd be surprised if GTA got a fail anywhere.

If they know what they are doing they better dont hold back the violence only because of the possibility of a Ban or a cut-version.

I rather buy Uncut in Austria or UK than having a "harmless" GTA5...

CD Project Red for example said that they wont hold back gore, sex or anything else in "The Witcher". That what they always did and they said it always was a mature game. Ofc in a realistic way and not overdone like SR wants to be.

So obviously the Witcher 3 probably will get a cut. Because of the violence/gore. Sex in Movies or Games isnt a problem here at all.

BlademanX
  • BlademanX

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Australia is soft like UK only thing is UK dont care too much about protecting kids from violence and sex, Welcome to the future! Order it and get international postage then bribe customs!

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Cyfa @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 16:23)
QUOTE ([DRuG)
Smallo,Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 19:42] Won't get banned in Australia. Only reason Saints Row got banned was due to sexualised violence and drug use for player gain which is not likely to be in GTAV.

Trevor is a meth addict and there will more than likely be topless women in strip clubs this time around.

Well, there's a difference between nudity and sexualised violence. Max Payne 3 had nudity and it didn't get banned anywhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users