Photo

Which vehicle should I get? ($3500)

11 replies to this topic
gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:58 PM Edited by gtamann123, 01 July 2013 - 12:06 AM.

Okay so I have decided that my budget for the vehicle I'm going to buy before I start college this fall is going to be about $3000-$3500. I have looked at all of my options and I have narrowed it down four vehicles. These are the best vehicles I have seen for my budget range.

Option 1

Chevy S-10 Model Blazer ZR2

user posted image

Pros:
-Nice good running truck.
-Like the design and I think the two door off road design looks really cool.
-Off road ZR2 package.
-Can get a pretty nice one for my budget
-Have a Lot of experience with the 4300 Engine.

Cons:
-Kind of small
-I Imagine it not being very luxurious and having a rough ride

Option 2

Chevy S-10 Blazer 4 Door

user posted image

Pros:
-Good runner like its ZR2 counterpart.
-Can get nice ones for cheaper than the ZR2
-4 doors adds more functionality although passenger capacity is the same as ZR2 model.
-Have a Lot of experience with the 4300 Engine.

Cons:
-I think the ZR2 looks nicer from the outside.
-ZR2 would perform better off road and in snow.
-Like the 2 door design of the ZR2 a little better.
-Pretty small for A 4 door truck.

Option 3

Chevy S-10 Pickup

user posted image

Pros:
-A Chance to have a good pickup for my budget.
-I think they look alright.

Cons:
-Kind of Small for a pickup.
-Cramped cab
-Not too sure about functionality (Blazer may be better)

Option 4

Chevy Tahoe

user posted image

Pros:
-Bigger Than the Blazers
-More luxurious
-Smoother ride
-3rd row seating
-I think they look awesome

Cons:
-Within my budget they come with very high miles (~240k)
-Neither me or my dad have much experience with the 5300 engine.

So do you guys have any advice? I'm leaning towards a ZR2 Blazer but I'm still considering all of my options. If I could choose any vehicle on that list I would get the Tahoe. But with my budget being the way it is the condition you would get isn't the greatest. So If you have any advice please feel free to leave it here smile.gif Thank you.

Plus If you have any other recommendations for this price range I would be glad to hear them.

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Labore et Scientia

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:56 AM Edited by Valenta, 01 July 2013 - 06:59 AM.

I'd go for the Blazer ZR2 because as you say, it's the cheapest and you have a lot of experience with the engine. But, I'll leave it up to you as it's your purchase.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

I was going to say the Tahoe, because my dad owns one, and it rides absolutely GREAT. Lots of room, too. Seeing that you have more experience with the ZR2's engine, I now say definetly go with that. They are actually pretty good trucks, too. Don't choose the S-10. My stepmom has one, and the cab is just too small for my liking, ESPECIALLY when riding with others.

Final choice: Blazer ZR2

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:53 AM Edited by epoxi, 07 July 2013 - 09:56 AM.

I would rule out the pick-up, purely because unless you are using it frequently to transport goods, it's just not useful enough. A double-cab with a covered rear may be better, but at that rate you may as well pick the other options.

If passengers sit in the rear seats more than once a fortnight, I would suggest a 4-door (especially given the lower price).

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

I'd go for the Tahoe. m'daddy has a Suburban, and it's got a great ride. Nice and quiet. Can't imagine it being neither hard nor expensive to work on if something is to go wrong.

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

Ghetto Star

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

I'd pick the 4-Door Blazer. My subjective opinion is that it looks the best. Also, as epoxi said, unless you're a tradesman there's no real "utility" in driving a pick-up, and given that you'll be at college, driving around a few friends regularly won't be too out of the ordinary an activity, so a four-door may be easier.

Performance-wise, are they much different? They're all S10s and based on my experience with them (read: no experience), I'll guess that they wouldn't have drastically different engines, so choices really should be made more on aesthetics, practicality and gut feeling (the latter of the three may be most pre-eminent when you make your choice) rather than on performance and reliability, since they'd all be in the same ballpark.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

As Illousion stated, the Tahoe really does ride GREAT. Just don't put big rims on it (AKA dubs). It wears the brakes out, and you'll have to spend even more money.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

I like the Blazer, my preference would be 4-door for practicality, but the 2-door does look nice. The Tahoe is nice, too. It's like driving around in a couch. I wouldn't worry about high mileage too much, my uncle's '96 Suburban had somewhere 500,000 and 600,000 miles on it when it got rear-ended and totaled. The newer ones don't seem to be much less reliable.

I enjoyed my S10 while I had it, although mine was a '94. I mainly used it to take garbage to the dump, but it was also used to tow our pop-up camper since my Jeep doesn't have a hitch. The negatives are that it was a bit cramped inside, mine was a regular cab. I don't have it anymore since somebody stole it and destroyed the transmission (they didn't know how to drive a stick shift), it was found in a ditch not too far from my stepmom's house in South Carolina where I was keeping it, or about 2100 miles from my current home in California. But if you don't plan on hauling stuff regularly, the S10 just isn't very comfortable or practical for an everyday driver .

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Not to be like a wet blanket or something, but since you are going to be a poor college student shouldn't you think about something a bit more fuel efficient?

Aside from that - I'd go for the pickup.

MetalGrand
  • MetalGrand

Hail To The King

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:47 PM Edited by MetalGrand, 17 July 2013 - 09:49 PM.

I used to own a lifted 99 Tahoe and it did ride great even for a lifted truck and had some pretty good power. Also, my mom used to own a 01 Blazer, and I just felt it was too small.

I say the Tahoe.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:23 AM

Just so everyone knows plans changed when I lost my job so I ended up buying an 01 grand am for $1500. But I'm saving up right now and when I hit $6k or $7k in the bank I'm going to buy a Tahoe and give my car to my sister.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Tahoe.

I had a Blazer, it's way too small and the gas mileage is pretty much the same as a Tahoe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users