Should Multiplayer Have Handicaps

16 replies to this topic
The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

I'm Offended By This Username

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

I rarely if ever play multiplayer in any game anymore. I find that several gamers play online on one specific game in order to become incredibly 1337. Most of the time it is impossible to get more than two or so kills on them each round. I have a problem with this. The few times I do go online I continually get killed by them whenever I start looking good. There's no way to win rounds with them around, and they will target you all the time you're in the server if you do good early. I hate to ask something like this, but I think games should handicap those who reach higher levels.

Like, as you advance through the online experience and level up, you find a collection of skill bars and earn one point to deposit into any of those skill bars, or LOWER any of the other skill bars in order to gain more points to use for other skills. This would keep players from evolving into demigods. While they still do benefit from leveling up, and won't intentionally keep themselves from leveling up in order to maintain the status of low rankers, I think it would make newer players and people who rarely go online feel safer and have a more enjoyable time while playing online.

I know the first thing that came to your mind: Why don't I just play the game better? Remember I rarely go online and rarely go PvP, all I'm up against most of the time are A.I. I'm used to the simplicity of A.I. rather than the hardened skills of the online kings. Also, I don't want to play every game on Uber Intense Infinite Hard Mode on all of the games I play. Some are fun on hard, others are not, and I'm more likely to play a game longer if I am actually enjoying it. Same goes for online.

Well that's my case on why I want games to handicap skilled players online so people who go on only occasionally can have an enjoyable, yet still challenging enough experience to feel rewarded.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

That's like making a professional F1 driver race with no tyres because everybody else in the race only races twice a year.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Or, you know, keep playing and get better.

Don't complain because you suck, get better or keep your f*cking mouth shut and play something else.

If you enjoy a game, there's no reason to complain about losing because you're bad at it.

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I agree with The Pizza Delivery Guy. I am tired when in GTA IV MP, I have full health & armor and then some retard kills me with ONE BULLET. When I try to kill someone who has half health, I need to empty out my AK so that player will finally die and all of that on AUTO AIM. And let's not speak about full health & armor, I need 2 RPG's to kill players with full health & armor. This is one of the reasons why I hate MP and don't want it in V at all.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Some games including MMOs already try and match you up to players with similar level and skill, but the game cannot completely determine how experienced you are. Depending on the game you are playing, it is not just your fault you are getting killed by some 1337 player. Sometimes it is just poor teamwork from other players. Most "Team Deathmatch" games really do not live up to the name as much as I want them to. Everyone parts their own way and never communicate as a team, but you may need a headset.

There really is not much to say as to keep on practicing and keep playing. If you don't do something for awhile, you do get rusty.

May I ask, which kind of multiplayer games have you played that you may refer to on this post?

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (The Pizza Delivery Guy @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 15:34)
Remember I rarely go online and rarely go PvP, all I'm up against most of the time are A.I. I'm used to the simplicity of A.I. rather than the hardened skills of the online kings.

And this is their problem? They should be punished because you don't want to, or have the time to play online? They put the time to get that good at the game, you didn't. It is your problem, and you can solve it yourself.

I rarely play multiplayer as well, and normally do pretty bad(especially when playing on console). But I do not believe you need to nerf good players so sh*t ones like us can beat them.

The only thing I can think of that wouldn't f*ck everyone up, is having something like they have in Starcraft 2. Different leagues that depend on a persons skill. They would fight people that are on the same skill level as they are. And of course there would be unranked matches that don't depend on the league system.

I am tired when in GTA IV MP, I have full health & armor and then some retard kills me with ONE BULLET. When I try to kill someone who has half health, I need to empty out my AK so that player will finally die and all of that on AUTO AIM.

Aim for the f*cking head, and you too can kill people in one shot. Armour does not protect your head.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (WildBrick142 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 21:31)
I agree with The Pizza Delivery Guy. I am tired when in GTA IV MP, I have full health & armor and then some retard kills me with ONE BULLET. When I try to kill someone who has half health, I need to empty out my AK so that player will finally die and all of that on AUTO AIM. And let's not speak about full health & armor, I need 2 RPG's to kill players with full health & armor. This is one of the reasons why I hate MP and don't want it in V at all.

In GTA IV, the fastest way to kill someone is 2 bullets in the head or with a shotgun. You can't complain about when all it is, is common sense especially when your on auto-aim.
Imo no games should ever be handicapped. Instead people should be able to play with AI in multiplayer matches like BF2 so they can get better. Unfortunately no developers wanna spend time on this anymore.

Android
  • Android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

usually i never have a problem on GTA IV. i always aim for the head then they have armor and i kill them successfully.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (The Pizza Delivery Guy @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 12:34)
Well that's my case on why I want games to handicap skilled players online

Yeah no. There should be a skill difference. New players should get their asses handed to them. That's how everybody starts. People new to something or people who have not invested enough time and effort are bound to suck, and that's how it's always been. The playing field is fair that way.

How is it fair to limit the skill of experienced players? If the game is designed so that the playing field is inherently unbalanced, then I do find a problem with that. Otherwise, players should not be penalized for simply being better than others.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

You mean games should be more balanced?

Take a look at any forum of a MMO and notice that everyone complains about everything that is unbalanced.

You cannot make a balanced game, because the bad players will always be worse than the good players (and thus complain about imbalance) and if they make them as powerful as the good players, the good players will complain.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

The only way you're going to top a leaderboard is if you're better at the game than most people, that's kinda the point.

If anything, you're asking for a different matching system, i.e. one that matches you up against people of similar skill - though in the few games I've played that have this (notably BF3), it doesn't work all too well.

You shouldn't punish other players because you haven't played as much.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

Either stick to singleplayer or look for other newbies to play. There's a ton of sh*tty players in IV I try to avoid playing with.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

What's the point of getting better if you just get more and handicapped?

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Personally I think what needs to be done is every game having a decent autobalancing system, as well as more players per team to make up for disconnections and people leaving to allow more players to join in.

It is also a result of crappy design of multiplayer maps and the whole set of game modes in general.

There needs to be more games like Battlefield, more points awarded to other beneficial actions. Less overpowering vehicles that can be controlled by only one player etc.

Really I think it is just a flaw in most games that in order to give people a chance, they allow you to get shot more times before dying, which then also makes the enemy more stronger. If they have better reaction times and make better use of the controls they can bunny hop away and you get nothing.

I would love it if there were more shooters that had more realistic shooting mechanics, a mix between battlefield and operation flashpoint. So it then forces you to be good based off your tactics and knowledge, and not so much your run and gun skills and by knowing how to exploit the game.

Though there is always the big major reason at least for me, is lag, nothing substantial, but games like battefield 3 suffer from sh*t that gets you f*cked over constantly. Hit detection at a local level and not server, makes you think you are hitting people that you are not. If ping was awesome as f*ck I would have no issues with any of the game's problems.

As for the handicap. I would rather see the players with worse KDR or score ratio to time spent playing get better rewards such as more ammo or ingame tips rather than punishing the people who are good at the game.

I find it is way more of learning how the game works, than simply just being good at games or not.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

I'm Offended By This Username

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Daz @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 03:34)
As for the handicap. I would rather see the players with worse KDR or score ratio to time spent playing get better rewards such as more ammo or ingame tips rather than punishing the people who are good at the game.

I like this. While the gamers with good KDR still reap the rewards at the end with their good position at round's end, casual players can still get assistance during the game.

Now I look at this whole handicap thing as just an assistance to casual players.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

No handicaps. No boosts. f*ck that, its not our fault you're sh*t and only log on every once in a blue moon.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 20:37)
That's like making a professional F1 driver race with no tyres because everybody else in the race only races twice a year.

I agree, multiplayer does not necessarily need handicaps. If you do not wish to play with 'stronger' opponents then do not bother bored.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users