Quantcast

» «
Photo

Decade with the Best Overall Music

79 replies to this topic

Poll: Which decade had the best overall music (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Which decade had the best overall music

1. Further Back (2 votes [2.00%])

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

2. 40s (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 50s (1 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

4. 60s (7 votes [7.00%])

Percentage of vote: 7.00%

5. 70s (10 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

6. 80s (37 votes [37.00%])

Percentage of vote: 37.00%

7. 90s (25 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

8. 00s (5 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

9. Present Day (13 votes [13.00%])

Percentage of vote: 13.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:30 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 04 July 2013 - 04:13 AM.

QUOTE (_____ @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 09:40)
you are looking in all the wrong places

how do you know where I'm looking?

Both of these reasons prove your point wrong

sorry what?

you haven't "proven" anything.
you've just disagreed with me. that's not a proof.

you have no idea where to look

you sure do love to make a lot of baseless assumptions.
where exactly do you think I'm looking?

you simply don't like that many genres or styles of music to begin with

once again you're wrong.
I enjoy virtually all genres of music aside from country music.

if you looked through my iPod you wouldn't be able to figure out if I was an 18 year old girl or a 60 year old man.
quite the range of styles.

So who cares?

apparently you do.
I'll stop replying when you stop quoting me wink.gif

QUOTE (Harley @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 10:42)
You call this discussion?

more or less.
now please take your bunched-up panties and go somewhere else if you're not gonna' contribute to the conversation.

thanks in advance.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΛΟ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

Did you just take my whole post apart and extracted whatever meaning you wanted from that? Apparently you did. My point was that you can't say that today's music is sh*t without either being misinformed or narrow-minded when it comes to music.

You also said that you "enjoy virtually all genres of music aside from country music". I call that bullsh*t. On the other page you were criticizing a bunch of songs that belonged to a bunch of genres. I really doubt you are as open-minded as you claim. If you want to prove your point (that today's music sucks), you better come up with some arguments and I'll happily debunk them for you because you won't be able to prove something like that.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

lol. did you even read my posts? I never criticized any of the individual songs that anyone posted or mentioned in this thread.
I also never said that all current music was sh*t. just "a lot" of it.

but whatever.
I tell you what.

since you're not interested in reading my words, I'll do this instead.
I'll just give you some totally random examples of modern music that I enjoy. believe it or not. maybe then you'll at least stop throwing a fit about my "bullsh*t, misinformed, narrow-minded" opinions because they're just as legitimate as yours lol.gif

in no particular order...

guess I'll stop there for now.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Ugh, can't believe you guys dragged this arguement onto a new page. confused.gif People vote for the decade of music they grew up with because they both liked it and it feels nostalgic.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΛΟ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:12 PM Edited by _____, 04 July 2013 - 02:16 PM.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 13:55)
I also never said that all current music was sh*t. just "a lot" of it.

Hmmm...
QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 03:15)
QUOTE (I So Brink @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 17:39)
Never let anybody tell you that "music today" is sh*t.

but it IS sh*t wink.gif

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 04:35)
my problem with music today is that it's utterly soulless.
you really don't hear much (if any) passion or emotion in modern music. it's all so highly digitized, heavily produced, and overly-perfected in the studio that it really becomes void of any true feeling. dare I say that each of the videos you posted illustrates my point exactly... it's not bad music but it's quite forgettable.

You need to stop generalizing then or otherwise prove whatever point you are trying to make. Or better yet, don't bother. Because the points you made in the above quote are baseless and make no sense.

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 16:55)
Ugh, can't believe you guys dragged this arguement onto a new page. confused.gif People vote for the decade of music they grew up with because they both liked it and it feels nostalgic.

Relax. This is a forum, a place where people usually debate. It's just as important to disagree as it is to agree with people. Agreeing too much can lead to ignorance.

GTA fan from the United Kingdom
  • GTA fan from the United Kingdom

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 00:11)
QUOTE (GTA fan from the United Kingdom @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:12)
90s - Because of Gangsta Rap, songs from that era will never get old no matter how many times I listen to them.

If you're into gangsta rap it'd be worth looking into some of the modern incarnations of it in the vein of Freddie Gibbs and Jay Rock. There's actually a good amount of street rappers coming out lately, thanks in due part to the 2000s kind of lacking it.

If you're more into the g-funk inspired beats of West Coast rap then you'll feel more at home with almost anyone from TDE, ie Rock and Lamar.

The whole second half of m.a.a.d city is really great stuff. Kendrick's entire album's production went through Dr. Dre and the final product really shows that inspiration.

Funny you should mention Kendrick Lamar because he is my favourite rapper at the moment (behind 2Pac of course).

I downloaded good kid, mA.A.d city and section 80 is a great album too.

IMO he is one of the best, if not the best rappers out at the moment. His flow is unique and it is amazing how he can rap so fast AND sound chilled out at the same time.

The Hippie
  • The Hippie

I'm gonna be all the way out there...In the Wild!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

This is a good question, to me it was a tough decision between the 60s and 70s. I ultimately chose the 1970s. The late 60s to me were great, 1969 was probably the best single year for music in my book, but really anything prior to 1965 just doesn't appeal to me.

So, we're talking about complete decade here, it is the 70s. From 1970 to 1979 is all filled with great music. The 70s had all sorts of heavy musical genres from funk, to reggae, soul/motown and lets not forget some of greatest classic rock songs ever written. The 1980s, uhh just too to all over the place, you know?. One hit wonder here, terrible song there, great rock song here. The 1980s had some good music but I don't think it should be considered as the greatest musical decade. The 90s to me is very nostalgic and had some great songs, just not enough. Finally, the 2000s/present day doesn't come close. Sure, I like quite a few songs, but most of them are just the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Great band by the way, really helped the music scene from the 1990s to present day. I always try to stay open when it comes to music, but the late 60s, early 70s has always been my #1. Rock on friends!

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Oh man, I feel guilty for my vote seeing that the 60s and 70s is behind present day.

I voted for the 90s, which is sort of a nostalgia vote. It definitely has some great artists and amazing songs but I don't know if I would truly consider it the best... for certain genres - like rap/hip hop, absolutely.

On a side note... I think the VC soundtrack has a bit too much influence on this site tounge.gif

Laura91
  • Laura91

Portia's #1 Fan

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 05:10)
QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 15:06)
see this is why you shouldn't make these questions into a poll.
everyone is just voting for the decade they grew up in... not which decade they really believe is the best tounge2.gif

I'm same as Ace, I voted for 60's but was born in '97. I don't think people will necessarily vote for the decade that they were born in, maybe they just do like that music more.

Yep! That is exactly why I voted for the 90s.

Discovering everything from Faith No More to Napalm Death to Masonna to John Coltrane (and many others within the same genres) was a beautiful thing.

PerceptortheShootist
  • PerceptortheShootist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

I went with '70s.

Belaphron
  • Belaphron

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

I voted for 00's. However if things keep going as they are going in a couple of years the present would probably get my vote. I made my choice based on the fact that most of my favorite albums have been released during these years. The way i see it is now the artists have all the influences of the 60's 70's 80's and 90's to draw upon and as a result of this fantastic music is being released.

markwey
  • markwey

Cool Cat

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:57 PM Edited by Markwey, 22 July 2013 - 08:30 PM.

80's all the way.
then comes the 70's, 60's and 50's in second place.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

I nulled the vote on purpose, seeing as to me, the best music came from three decades. Happy Hardcore from the 90s and folk rock from the late 60s/early 70s.

My apologies

Rockstar Cake
  • Rockstar Cake

Danny Longlegs

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

I'd say late '80s and '90s was the best for metal. 1989 gave us Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails debut album, Pretty Hate Machine, and 1991 gave (my favorite band) Tool's demo tape, 72826 (SATAN on a telephone keypad \m/ ), and the rest of the '90s was just badass. (Yes, they started out in '81) Green Jellö, more Tool and NIN, Korn, Soundgarden (even though they started back in '84), Audioslave, Rage, Perfect Circle, and on and on. The '60s and '70s were pretty badass as well, and I can't ever turn out some older Blues and Jazz, and even newer Blues (Hugh Laurie, my man!) is fantastic as well.

f*ck new age pop rap country twangy bitches and hoes "I'm a Teenage Slut" bullsh*t, man. f*ck that sh*t.

xrk
  • xrk

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Rockstar Cake @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 22:41)
I'd say late '80s and '90s was the best for metal.

Best time for music in general imo.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

80s were the best.I often listening music from that period,probably more then any other period of time.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:41 AM

Wow, I voted 80s thinking it would be the underdog (obviously, I hadn't read any responses yet).

Now I wish I'd voted for the 00s. Lots of great music came out between 2000 and 2009 (my high school and college years inlove.gif) and it's a shame the decade only got 4 votes.

Tbh, though, every decade since (and including) the 1960s has had plenty of great music.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Dick Valor @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 23:41)
Wow, I voted 80s thinking it would be the underdog (obviously, I hadn't read any responses yet).

Now I wish I'd voted for the 00s. Lots of great music came out between 2000 and 2009 (my high school and college years inlove.gif) and it's a shame the decade only got 4 votes.

Tbh, though, every decade since (and including) the 1960s has had plenty of great music.

In real life it is. Not on a GTA website though tounge.gif

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (Dick Valor @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 05:41)

I disagree, the 00s are terrible. Even if they may be some good songs any other decade since 50 years ago beats the 00s.

golf wang
  • golf wang

Westside!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

The 90s all the way for me. Hip hop is my favorite genre and the 90s without a doubt had the best hip hop and some really good R&B as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users