Quantcast

» «
Photo

Decade with the Best Overall Music

79 replies to this topic

Poll: Which decade had the best overall music (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Which decade had the best overall music

1. Further Back (2 votes [2.00%])

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

2. 40s (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 50s (1 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

4. 60s (7 votes [7.00%])

Percentage of vote: 7.00%

5. 70s (10 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

6. 80s (37 votes [37.00%])

Percentage of vote: 37.00%

7. 90s (25 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

8. 00s (5 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

9. Present Day (13 votes [13.00%])

Percentage of vote: 13.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Steven Ride
  • Steven Ride

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 01:56)
QUOTE (Adam_ @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 11:52)
QUOTE (Shenmue18 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 23:16)
90's and 80's were the best, 00's were pretty good until near the end, current decade might be the worst era ever, I'd rather get hit by a monster truck then listen to Lil Wayne's garbage.

Damn son. Every decade had it's bad stuff. Every decade had it's manufactured pop hits. There are tons of great artists that are just slightly less mainstream than what you'll hear on the radio.

The manufactured pop hits in the 80's were awesome though.

They were still manufactured, and as far as art goes, they're worthless just like a lot of today's are.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 03:15)
QUOTE (I So Brink @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 17:39)
Never let anybody tell you that "music today" is sh*t.

but it IS sh*t wink.gif

People who say that today's music sucks have minds that are as narrow as my ass crack. Chances are you won't find a lot of new quality music if you only like a handful of genres.

Tyler
  • Tyler

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Best thing about today's music is how divergent the streams have become. What was once a few great rivers has turned into hundreds of paths where you can find your own niche to explore deeper down the line. There's so much out there on top of the already massive compilation of the music from the past, that you could never find all the music out there you might truly like. I feel like a kid in a candy emporium every time I think about how much music I like and how hard it is to keep up with modern musicians I dig.

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 03:41)
Best thing about today's music is how divergent the streams have become. What was once a few great rivers has turned into hundreds of paths where you can find your own niche to explore deeper down the line. There's so much out there on top of the already massive compilation of the music from the past, that you could never find all the music out there you might truly like. I feel like a kid in a candy emporium every time I think about how much music I like and how hard it is to keep up with modern musicians I dig.

Agreed. It's all so overwhelming and the quality and quantity of the music out there today is almost ridiculous. Thankfully I'm able to appreciate it all because otherwise I'd be very deprived of great sounds. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 00:43)
I was feeling a little meh since you sort of echoed my sentiments with only slightly different verbiage but that's a great summary statement and a positive way to direct people away from their own complacency in not seeking out quality music. Seek and ye shall find.

You're right to feel a little "meh". I didn't put any effort into that post, considering I just copy/pasted it from over two years ago, haha.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (_____ @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 17:36)
QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 03:15)

but it IS sh*t wink.gif

People who say that today's music sucks have minds that are as narrow as my ass crack. Chances are you won't find a lot of new quality music if you only like a handful of genres.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the music of today is sh*t but I would say that majority of the music people listen to is sh*t.

Tyler
  • Tyler

• Unknown

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yeah but my taste is objectively superior so what's up

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I say modern/present day music is the best. Every year it just gets better.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

I actually said 00's. To be honest old music just isnt my thing.
Here comes the people saying im a Justin Bieber fanboy.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

It's hard to choose actually, I'm hooked with the 70s, 80s, 90s and modern era music (do not count that Justin Bieber, he's not my type) because I have a wide array of music from all sorts of musical artists in my collection.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

You can't beat music that is fresh and relavent. It tends to chime with your feelings. Today's music always appeals to me more than nostalgically re-listening to sounds of the past.

That said, every day was today when it happened, and living through the 80's was a great time musically. There were just too many great genres to choose from and you didn't have to go searching the internet for great tracks, because it was all in your face. The 80's also gave us House music, which is probably the most important genre of them all.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 04:31)
House music, which is probably the most important genre of them all.

...said no one ever tounge2.gif

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

Enough said.

AKA the 80's, in case you guys don't get my point.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:06 AM

see this is why you shouldn't make these questions into a poll.
everyone is just voting for the decade they grew up in... not which decade they really believe is the best tounge2.gif

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 10:36)
everyone is just voting for the decade they grew up in... not which decade they really believe is the best tounge2.gif

I was born in 2000. tounge.gif

I always wished I was an 80's kid, though. Everything seems great, the music, movies, games etc.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 15:06)

I'm same as Ace, I voted for 60's but was born in '97. I don't think people will necessarily vote for the decade that they were born in, maybe they just do like that music more.

LifeWithScissors
  • LifeWithScissors

Veni Vidi Vici

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

I like both 00s and 90s music. What a hard decision to choose since those eras both have good songs.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 04:35)
my problem with music today is that it's utterly soulless.
you really don't hear much (if any) passion or emotion in modern music. it's all so highly digitized, heavily produced, and overly-perfected in the studio that it really becomes void of any true feeling. dare I say that each of the videos you posted illustrates my point exactly... it's not bad music but it's quite forgettable.

That description might fit a lot of popular music, like the kind of stuff you hear in clubs, but it does in no way reflect the reality about modern music in general. Since you've made it clear that you don't like modern music, I doubt that you listen to any at all and thus you have no idea what you're talking about.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 08:06)

Do you remember anything from the decade you were born in(I mean actual memories from back then)? I sure don't.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:12 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 03 July 2013 - 10:35 AM.

QUOTE (_____ @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 02:47)
I doubt that you listen to any at all and thus you have no idea what you're talking about.

since you're making assumptions I'll have you know that you're completely wrong.

I listen to at least as much modern music as I do music of the past.
I'm allowed to give my opinion on it just as much as anyone else.

Do you remember anything from the decade you were born in(I mean actual memories from back then)? I sure don't.

what I (clearly) meant is that most people choose the decade of music which they grew up in.
not exactly the decade they were born.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 10:12)
I doubt that you listen to any at all and thus you have no idea what you're talking about.

since you're making assumptions I'll have you know that you're completely wrong.

what I (clearly) meant is that most people choose the decade of music which they grew up in.

And if that's the decade they think had the best music, what's the f*cking problem?

Let it go, dude. You've already voted and posted. You don't need to keep coming in here to piss over everyone else's opinion.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Well, even if most I hear is from the 80s, which had an awesome hard rock and heavy metal and therefore may be my favourite, though probably the late 60s early 70s could be considered better; these times changed everything. Not to forget that the 80s also had some terrible songs tounge.gif
The worst, without any doubt present day: the 90s did a lot of damage which developed in all the bullsh*t we have nowadays...

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:07 PM Edited by _____, 03 July 2013 - 01:09 PM.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 12:12)

Sorry about that, I was a little harsh with that sentence, but I still think you're not a serious listener if you make generalizations like you make. Even if there is no music being made for your taste, it's a matter of taste then, the music doesn't suck. You simply don't like that kind of music. It doesn't mean it sucks and there's plenty of modern music that's soulful or whatever.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 12:12)

I misread that but you are still wrong as far as GTAF goes at least. I have no bias towards this decade. I actually used to have a bias towards the '80s and '90s not too long ago but then I realized this decade is the time when so much music is released and I like so much of it, it's overwhelming. Other users here also like decades that they didn't grow up in.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Harley @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 05:22)
You don't need to keep coming in here to piss over everyone else's opinion.

lol. apparently you don't understand how a discussion works.
this is a public forum, get over it.

QUOTE (_____ @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 07:07)
I still think you're not a serious listener if you make generalizations like you make.

I don't know what the definition of a "serious listener" is, but it doesn't change my opinion.
I consume a lot of modern music and a lot of it feels much more detached and passionless than music that came before the digital age.

like you said; I'm generalizing.
that's generally what I hear coming from modern music. it doesn't mean there aren't exceptions to the rule.

I misread that but you are still wrong as far as GTAF goes at least.

I still have to disagree.

I would be willing to bet that most of the people who voted for the 80's grew up and/or came of age during the 80's.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

I love 80s music. I was born in 81 and listening to music of that decade cheers me up.

Steven Ride
  • Steven Ride

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

How can people say today's music is bad when we have stuff like this?

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:17)
I consume a lot of modern music and a lot of it feels much more detached and passionless than music that came before the digital age.

like you said; I'm generalizing.
that's generally what I hear coming from modern music. it doesn't mean there aren't exceptions to the rule.

There are at least two reasons for that. One, you are looking in all the wrong places, and two, your tastes are very particular so it's difficult to find new stuff that is similar to what you like. Both of these reasons prove your point wrong, that music nowadays is mostly sh*t. Saying stuff like "more detached and passionless" really shows that you have no idea where to look or you simply don't like that many genres or styles of music to begin with, because most of the music I listen to isn't "more detached and passionless" at all. That point remains to be proven and I doubt that you will be able to do it.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:17)
I would be willing to bet that most of the people who voted for the 80's grew up and/or came of age during the 80's.
There are causes behind any choice, preference, taste, etc and when you think about it, the causes or criteria behind your tastes aren't superior compared to those of others because everybody is happy with what they like. So who cares?

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 14:17)
QUOTE (Harley @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 05:22)
You don't need to keep coming in here to piss over everyone else's opinion.

lol. apparently you don't understand how a discussion works.
this is a public forum, get over it.

You call this discussion?
QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 01:15)

but it IS sh*t wink.gif

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 02:27)
QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 04:31)
House music, which is probably the most important genre of them all.

...said no one ever tounge2.gif

It smells like piss to me.

As ubiquitous as sh*t commercial music is, if you're not willing to look for the good stuff then you'll never find it. And your opinions on the decade will be groundless. And you'll end up smelling like piss.

GTA fan from the United Kingdom
  • GTA fan from the United Kingdom

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

90s - Because of Gangsta Rap, songs from that era will never get old no matter how many times I listen to them.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:19 PM Edited by trip, 03 July 2013 - 11:22 PM.

My vote was for the 70's.

80's music sure has its place, but when you look at some bands histories they were all able to transition and get better when going from the 60's to the 70's, and even some from the 50's to the 60's to the 70's.

Now when those bands tried to transition to the crazy new 80's sh*t went south. Just look at Jefferson Airplane. Not only did they change their name along the way but they went from White Rabbit to something so bad as We Built This City.

edit:
drunk spelling and grammar.

Tyler
  • Tyler

• Unknown

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (GTA fan from the United Kingdom @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:12)
90s - Because of Gangsta Rap, songs from that era will never get old no matter how many times I listen to them.

If you're into gangsta rap it'd be worth looking into some of the modern incarnations of it in the vein of Freddie Gibbs and Jay Rock. There's actually a good amount of street rappers coming out lately, thanks in due part to the 2000s kind of lacking it.

If you're more into the g-funk inspired beats of West Coast rap then you'll feel more at home with almost anyone from TDE, ie Rock and Lamar.

The whole second half of m.a.a.d city is really great stuff. Kendrick's entire album's production went through Dr. Dre and the final product really shows that inspiration.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users