Photo

Hip Hop Days

13 replies to this topic
Saunders420
  • Saunders420

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

so I dont know if this counts since it is a video, and I have been doing them for awhile....everyonce and awhile.
I do take my writing seriously. This thread seemed worth while...I hope lol

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Saunders420 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 03:34)
so I dont know if this counts since it is a video, and I have been doing them for awhile....everyonce and awhile.
I do take my writing seriously. This thread seemed worth while...I hope lol

I'd say it wouldn't unless you throw up some lyrics, but there's something more important to be said: Rappers are a dime a dozen nowadays and I don't see you spitting anything besides what's already being spat by others. You are a good rapper, but your material doesn't ring true or even really make me feel like I'd wanna listen to more. I don't mean to come off as a dick, which I'm probably doing, but it'd be cool to see you rapping about something worthwhile, not just about how you can rap or how you're sick.

Your Element of Mind was good, I liked it. As was as Hip-Hop. Day 1 (Reks - Say Goodnight) but It'd be cool to see you rap about something. You've got a De La Rocha style, and you've got talent, just don't waste it.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 17:36)

You've got a De La Rocha style, and you've got talent, just don't waste it.

E. F. F. E. C. T.
A SMOOTH OPERATOR OPERATING CORRECTLY

That comparison pulled me in.
Ziggy is right; to me (and I'm not hugely into rap) it sounds the same as every other rap song - you can rap, true, but what makes you different from everyone else? I can see the ZDLR in your voice, as mentioned, with a little more hip hop to it, good tone and the sharpness is cool. You don't have that low hip hop arcitype either so it sound fresh
Am I the only one hearing a little easy e in there?

Right that my rap knowledge exhausted.

Let me tell you what rap songs I LOVE though:

Hands held high - linkin park
Changes - tupac
The ghetto (was in San Andreas but can't remember who it is)
Children's story - slick rick

Why am I mentioning these? Read the lyrics. They're stories and carry a heavy meaning. I get chills with some of the lines - "before we find world peace we've got to find peace to the war on the streets" (ghetto gospel i believe).

Most rap I hear is the Same old 'look at me, I'm dope' bullsh*t.
Write something that makes people freeze and go 'f*ck' IMO

Hope this doesn't sound like a put down though; it's not. It'd be a shame to see a cool voice sink in amongst samey songs

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

This was pretty awesome, and I'm not even remotely a fan of rap/hip-hop!

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

I think you sound similar to Eazy-E, but I would disagree with the majority of people here saying that you need to differentiate yourself more. I think that while originality is valuable and should be thought about but at the same time I think there is also value in keeping with what has worked in rap and perfecting what's known before you venture out into your own topics. Also the examples used are a little misleading; for example Changes is a great Tupac song (I would argue Ghetto Gospel is not actually) but most of what Tupac wrote was not like changes. All Eyez on Me, his most famous album, is a mix of both aggressive, boasting songs (i.e. Can't C Me, Ambitionz Az A Ridah) and those more emotional songs they refer to (i.e. Life Goes On, Shorty Wanna Be A Thug). One isn't better than the other, and if you're more comfortable with the subject matter you're currently rapping keep with it.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

See the thing is most rap I hear is the same thing; some overdone gangsta sh*t, or tough talking.
All music in general I look for good lyrics. Some kind of meaning behind them. They're the great songs and great artists.

Changes (and Bruce hornsbys the way it is) is one of those songs
50 cents candy shop is not.

Ops style is his choice of course. What he raps about is his choice but Oruro opinions don't hurt!

Tyler
  • Tyler

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

You've got a good voice and your flow is slick, if a little sharp on some sections. You should definitely throw up some accompanying lyrics in your vid descriptions, it helps get an understanding of where you're aiming if people can't hear your lyrics directly. I think your music is generally enjoyable stuff too, but I'd pull the production a little quieter in the beginning or add more to the introduction. The mastering sounds off when it's transitioning to your verse. Did you work on the production yourself? The main bulk of it goes all right and I think overall this is a pretty good song you made.

You should keep at what you're doing, the more you practice the more comfortable you'll feel rapping over different beats, and without having to sacrifice your subject matter or lyricism you would sound completely different. On top of that, keep at your production and don't be afraid to throw your bars over way different beats than you're comfortable with. The key to improving is always going for new stuff.

To counter what some people have said: I don't think you need to rap about the struggle or something you don't actually care to rap about. A half-assed verse about how hard it is out there feels more disingenuous than a song about just chilling or bragging about things. Hip-hop is about living, and sometimes people just want to relax to some lyrically on point song about nothing in particular.

Saunders420
  • Saunders420

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

completely forgot about starting this thread here. Appreciate the solid feedback from everyone. Thanks guys......I guess this would be considered a bump ahha 

Just some new stuff I posted recently. 

...keep rolling...

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:33 PM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 23 June 2014 - 04:34 PM.

I don't mind you bumping a topic to add to it. If this is stuff you wrote, then i think it has a rightful place here. Lyrics are poetry.

I wouldn't mind to see the lyrics written down - simply because there's a few lines i couldn't make out, and I'm more into lyrics than hip hop music (hence my previous comments)

But saying that, just posting lyrics isn't enough - they'd be viewed as poetry, and without the flow and accompaniment, song lyrics often seem flat when viewed outside of the music.

What was the sample in the first video? I actually thought it was LA Noire...

Saunders420
  • Saunders420

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:11 PM Edited by Saunders420, 23 June 2014 - 07:11 PM.

not sure where the sample is from in that first video, the Instrumental is The Cancel, Ocean Soul.

In the more recent videos I have been adding lyrics in the description. If I leave the lyrics out its due to my memorization....I always tend to learn my work thoroughly to the point where I like to play with it. so lyrics tend to change on the whim to help accommodate myself with the beat, so to speak. Ill be sure to post my lyrics in the thread with each video though, I like people trying to understand what I have to say. hella misunderstood imo

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

acclimate

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:50 AM

You have talent in creating your flow through your lyrics. You kind of remind me of Nas, if you're familiar with his material.

How have you been trying to get your lyrics known?

Saunders420
  • Saunders420

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:05 AM

I do the norm in terms of getting my music out, latest batch of work im taking out and im hitting up the next couple of open mics. Internet...and lots of cyphers. When people are down hahaa.

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

acclimate

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

It'd be mad if you did a few verses over this.

Sw1ft562
  • Sw1ft562

MISUNDERSTOOD

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

It'd be mad if you did a few verses over this.

take it in blood is one of my favorite nas instrumentals.. there might be a better version of it out there. 

some others are represent, sly fox, hiphop is dead, dont body ya self, 2nd childhood, get down, got yourself a gun, and if i ruled the world

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users