Photo

Teen inprisoned for 8 years...

169 replies to this topic
JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

Another teen - this time in Mississipi - has been jailed for remarks made while playing an online video game...

http://dailycaller.c...eo-game-threat/

The threats were made while he was playing “Runescape,” an online multiplayer fantasy game. Another player began antagonizing him, and eventually told him to kill himself.

Irritated, Pillault said he would kill not just himself, but also take out the local high school. He also mentioned Columbine — the name of an infamous school shooting — according to reports.

It was the response that the other player had been hoping for, according to Pillault’s mother.

“His gleeful last words to Josh were ‘Knock, knock!’ which is a reference to the feds he sent our way,” wrote Stacey Pillault in an email to TheDC News Foundation.

What upsets me is not the American legal system - we all know that's f'ed up - but the lack of empathy that permeates online video games and the people who play them.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

^ That's messed up. He told that to get the kid in jail, ridiculous.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Worst country by far, especially in terms of laws and politics.

Nuggets
  • Nuggets

SenseiKOFF

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Man, this is f*cked up. Terrorism? f*ck NO! The meaning of terrorism has gone to ridiculous position just because of the media. Anything can be called as terrorism nowadays. suicidal.gif It's kinda sad how media scares people. It's like a child of a parent who doesn't let the kid do anything. Like the kid just sits at home and can't go out and play with his friends because the parent is so scared about the kid harming himself, like he's going to die because of falling from a tree or a swing. Then the kid become older and is scared of the outside world. Then he makes his own world in his head and lives in a box. Scared of everything outside.

Oh, and happy 4th of july ''free'' america.

MWC
  • MWC

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

lol americans you so random

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:36 PM Edited by lil weasel, 04 July 2013 - 02:43 PM.

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 07:22)
Would I be correct in saying that in America, if they accuse you of a crime relating to terrorism, then they can lock you up indefinitely with no trial?

Basically true. Unless someone knows you've been taken and bothers to make noise, anyone can disappear (just as in other countries). What with our Homeland Security (and pals) assuming (or trying to) the powers of a G.E.S.T.A.P.O. organization.
The pie-in-the-sky idea that a piece of paper protects anyone is a fantastic dream.
Government power rests in people who for the most part are, "Just doing my job".
When the President(s) issue an 'Executive Order' the zealots that work for him are quite happy to carry out the 'New Law".
It's now evident that our Leaders are putting the chill on Persons who perceive that the Government is wrong by 'leaking' (without proper approval) information of these 'misdeeds'.

I vaguely remember some President issuing an 'Executive Order' that allow(s) the F.B.I. to 'take' a criminal in a foreign country without bothering to get approval there. But then, there are always the 'S.E.A.L.S', right... icon14.gif

Whistleblower = Traitor.
We've had trouble with Whistleblowers since before the $500US hammer and $1,000US toilet seats. smile.gif

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

I shall revoke the throne, atop the stellar tree

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

I do adore watching you tread the line between deluded conspiracy and rampant paranoia, weasel. It's like watching a street preacher proclaim the apocalypse day after day. Warms the cockles of my heart that you don't even need the vaguest instigation before voluntarily undermining yourself with the liberal application of Murphy's Law.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 08:50)
Another teen - this time in Mississipi - has been jailed for remarks made while playing an online video game...

The threats were made while he was playing “Runescape,” an online multiplayer fantasy game. Another player began antagonizing him, and eventually told him to kill himself.

Irritated, Pillault said he would kill not just himself, but also take out the local high school. He also mentioned Columbine — the name of an infamous school shooting — according to reports.

It was the response that the other player had been hoping for, according to Pillault’s mother.

“His gleeful last words to Josh were ‘Knock, knock!’ which is a reference to the feds he sent our way,” wrote Stacey Pillault in an email to TheDC News Foundation.

What upsets me is not the American legal system - we all know that's f'ed up - but the lack of empathy that permeates online video games and the people who play them.

bored.gif I'm sick of this sh*t. What's wrong with this county?

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 15:44)
I do adore watching you tread the line between deluded conspiracy and rampant paranoia, weasel. It's like watching a street preacher proclaim the apocalypse day after day. Warms the cockles of my heart that you don't even need the vaguest instigation before voluntarily undermining yourself with the liberal application of Murphy's Law.

Yeah because you are too stuck up in Obama's ass and the government's you don't even know what's happening with the NSA programme/PRISM. Back them up as much as you want because you are one of those c*nts. A terrorist. A guy who doesn't want people to have their freedom. I don't get why you are in Britain confused.gif

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 17:00)

Yeah because you are too stuck up in Obama's ass and the government's you don't even know what's happening with the NSA programme/PRISM. Back them up as much as you want because you are one of those c*nts. A terrorist. A guy who doesn't want people to have their freedom. I don't get why you are in Britain confused.gif

Would you like to wind your neck in? I do love you having the audacity to question my knowledge and allege bias when you've consistently demonstrated you have absolutely no qualification to speak on the subject. Hilarious. I covered prism extensively in the thread, along with references and sources. Try to keep up at the back.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 11:00)

whatsthat.gif Wow, glad you're banned.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 11:11)
Well done for not reading a f*cking word I wrote. Did you miss the bit where I said they could only enact indefinite detention against people declared enemy combatants, either legal or illegal, and that this is permitted under the grounds of the Geneva Convention? Apparently so.

Great. So all we have to do is trust that the US government won't interpret the definition of enemy combatant and terrorist to suit their agendas like they interpret their own Constitution.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 18:30)
QUOTE (sivispacem @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 11:11)
Well done for not reading a f*cking word I wrote. Did you miss the bit where I said they could only enact indefinite detention against people declared enemy combatants, either legal or illegal, and that this is permitted under the grounds of the Geneva Convention? Apparently so.

Great. So all we have to do is trust that the US government won't interpret the definition of enemy combatant and terrorist to suit their agendas like they interpret their own Constitution.

It's pretty hard to interpret any more liberally than they already are, to be honest. Traditionally, you need to define a theatre of conflict, an adversary or adversaries to which you can attribute combatants, and have some reasonable inclination and evidence to suggest they're actively involved. They're already stretching at least two of those pretty thin- classing "terrorism" as a theatre of conflict, and attributing combatants to irregular armed forces who don't come under the provisions of the Geneva Convention normally.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 09:04)
Worst country by far, especially in terms of laws and politics.

YES, HE'S GONE!!! Never liked him.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 13:50)

Honestly, in both cases the only people who should be jailed are the morons who alerted the cops in the first place.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Great news everyone!

Turns out Justin has had a charity to get him out of jail. He's got a court hearing coming up but I'd be surprised if he's found guilty. Hopefully things will be put right.

http://www.escapistm...-Legends-Player

Justin Carter, who's spent five months in jail for making "terroristic threats" on Facebook, is out bail thanks to an anonymous $500,000 donation...

His mother launched a petition on Change.org in June calling for his release and an overhaul of the laws defining terrorist threats that is now up to over 122,000 signatures, and has also been trying to raise $50,000 via donations in order to get a bail bond company to sign for his release. And as of today, that bail has been granted and he is free, but in a rather unexpected fashion: according to Carter's attorney, an "anonymous Good Samaritan" put up the full $500,000 to bail him out.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( ´-`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

but in a rather unexpected fashion: according to Carter's attorney, an "anonymous Good Samaritan" put up the full $500,000 to bail him out.

Much respect to whoever paid that sum. Even in this murky situation, we still have some good.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

If I had millions of dollars I would've paid as soon as I knew, poor kid never deserved any of this.

"Bad characteristics covered in Christs blood"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thankfully someone bailed him out? I wonder who it was and why they wanted to remain anonymous? Anyway, I hope he recovers quickly from all the pain he had to go through.

assmillk
  • assmillk

Homie

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

rediculous. That's like a famous comedian joking about terrorism during an act in front of thousands of people, and then having him arrested for intention to commit an act of terrorism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users