Teen inprisoned for 8 years...

169 replies to this topic
The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

... I don't even know what to say for this.

http://dailycaller.c...led-for-months/

A Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

In February, Justin Carter was playing “League of Legends” — an online, multiplayer fantasy game — when another player wrote a comment calling him insane. Carter’s response, which he now deeply regrets, was intended as joke.

“He replied ‘Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were lol and jk,” said Jack Carter, Justin’s father, in a statement to a local news channel.

The statements “lol” and “jk” — meaning “laughing out loud” and “just kidding” — indicate that Justin’s statement was entirely sarcastic, said his father.

But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police. Carter was arrested one month later, and has been in jail ever since. He recently celebrated his 19th birthday behind bars.

Authorities charged him with making a terrorist threat. If convicted, he will face eight years in prison.

“These people are serious. They really want my son to go away to jail for a sarcastic comment that he made,” said the elder Carter.

Authorities noted that recent school shootings like the one in Newtown, Connecticut have caused them to evaluate all potential threats seriously. Newtown was still fresh in their minds at the time of Carter’s arrest.

“In light of recent situations, statements such as the one Justin made are taken seriously,” said an Austin police detective in a statement.

Carter’s father said his son didn’t follow the news at all.

“Justin was the kind of kid who didn’t read the newspaper,” said Jack Carter. “He didn’t watch television. He wasn’t aware of current events. These kids, they don’t realize what they’re doing. They don’t understand the implications. They don’t understand.”

Carter’s parents have launched a change.org petition to convince Texas Attorney General Greg Abbot to release their son.

“Release Justin Carter from jail,” the petition reads. “Too many teenagers are being arrested, jailed and having their lives forever altered because of anti-terrorism laws and investigations that impede their 1st Amendment right to freedom of speech.”

A hearing to review Carter’s case is scheduled for July 1.

Follow Robby on Twitter

AlphaOmegaSin does a good job summarizing the stupidity of this situation:

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:51 AM Edited by finn4life, 30 June 2013 - 02:54 AM.

This makes me want to punch babies lol jk. *waits for arrest*.
This is complete bullsh*t. Airport arrests are fair enough, joking about bombs there, fine. Joking about a massacre from the privacy of your own home and getting arrested, wtf? f*ck that cow of a mum for reporting him.

This kids life is probably ruined as well, he will have a damn hard time finding a job after being in jail. Good job government, wrecking young peoples Lives.

Steven Ride
  • Steven Ride

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:03 AM

America: Land of the free

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

It seems you watched the same video at the same time, and was posting this exactly I was. Very creepy haha.

But yes, this is clearly another attempt at censorship, but when aren't the media trying to shut down freedom of speech and expression..

There is a link for a petition to try and free him. Anyway you can post the link. I did not see it.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

For a joke like that is kind of offensive for teens.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

...because every comment a teenager makes while taking his anger out on video games (rather than taking them out in real life) should be interpreted as said teenager wanting to take his anger out in real life. sarcasm.gif

I have to give it up to the Obama Administration. They are single handedly allowing the Bill of Rights to fall by the wayside, and the public is stupid enough to forget about it...

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:15 AM

panic.gif This sh*t makes me want to shoot someone! But seriously this does make me want to smack that bitch who reported the comment. I mean that is the most overly protective, most ridiculous sh*t I've heard of in a while. I mean yes those school shootings were no joke but c'mon? 8 years in prison? 5 days in jail sounds more reasonable, hell even getting in trouble for an obvious joke like that is just unbelievable.

Apparently my sister disagrees and says what they're doing isn't stupid. suicidal.gif Am I living with a moron?

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Love For Sale

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:16 AM Edited by Majestic81, 30 June 2013 - 03:37 AM.

----

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (Adam_ @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 13:33)

That's funny tell us another joke.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (Doublepulse @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 20:06)
It seems you watched the same video at the same time, and was posting this exactly I was. Very creepy haha.

But yes, this is clearly another attempt at censorship, but when aren't the media trying to shut down freedom of speech and expression..

There is a link for a petition to try and free him. Anyway you can post the link. I did not see it.

Yeah, just saw your topic, that's something else.

Here's the petition: Link

And the second I go to post the link in AOS's video, youtube stops working. Of course.

bluetops
  • bluetops

Chupacabra

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

If I said that I will start a Crusade to kill all atheists and non believers in Christ, nobody reacts. In fact, the Church will support it!

If I said I will shoot up a school, then everybody loses their minds!!!

sh*t.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

This is why I never want to go to Texas. I know it's not right to stereotype a certain state for their behavior but the laws there are just way different. If any state was ever to succeed, I'd easily see Texas as one of the most likely to truely attempt it.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 03:26)
This is why I never want to go to Texas. I know it's not right to stereotype a certain state for their behavior but the laws there are just way different. If any state was ever to succeed, I'd easily see Texas as one of the most likely to truely attempt it.

Do you not realize that Texas is probably the most pro-Constitution state in the entire union?

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

WHAT!?

• The Precinct
  • United-States
  • Best Member Named after a Stone Cold Steve Austin Catchphrase

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

Just signed the petition. This is way beyond ridiculous.

Pyrrhic
  • Pyrrhic

The Epileptic Butcher

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 13:28)

Do you not realize that Texas is probably the most pro-Constitution state in the entire union?

That doesn't make it right.

Steven Ride
  • Steven Ride

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (bluetops @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 03:23)
If I said that I will start a Crusade to kill all atheists and non believers in Christ, nobody reacts. In fact, the Church will support it!

If I said I will shoot up a school, then everybody loses their minds!!!

sh*t.

The first one is ridiculous. The second one could be easily done.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 03:28)

The irony...

No place is perfect though, there is always a few crooked individuals no matter where you go. Generalizing an entire population is not a good thing, especially if you want people to come visit you. We must focus on the good things about our society.

However hearing about things like this, does make us question our future.. and how much common sense some of us still have left.

The situation is not new one.. Imprisoning people for nothing or executing someone because of something so small or nothing at all.Its an example of our faults in society and maybe humans as well.. Its just things are getting more absurd as time goes on. But that is a topic for a different time.

Thanks for the petition link. I will sign it.

PacketOVerload_x64Bit
  • PacketOVerload_x64Bit

ENB Whore

• Members
  • Canada
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

For those that live in the United States:

• You are being spied on and persecuted by your own government.
• Everyday, non-violent and petty acts are being legally criminalized while Haliburton and other contractors are building more jails to keep you locked away.
• You've been attacked constantly losing thousands of your serving soldiers and countless souls on 9/11.
• Your corporations and banks literally ripped the lives from millions of citizens, without ANY prosecution at all.
• Wall Street is consistently (check the new data) getting richer and richer while the citizens foot the bill for it, and suffer for it.
• Your government spies on Free Press; prosecutes whistle blowers and has introduced military overflights into your country.
• "Something weird with chemtrails." "Something weird about anti-depressants in the water supply."
• Mass killings are becoming the norm.
• Drugs, guns and gangs seem to be everywhere.
• Your police force is paranoid, trigger-happy and totalitarian e.g.: enforcing "check points, frivilous laws and providing more brutality that it should on citizens."
• You've allowed a beautiful entity like the internet to fall prey to central censoring, control inside the US due to the DNS Server control.
• The American people in the complacency have allowed Monsanto to do further their crimes against humanity with their Frankencrops of GMO's and no legal recourse.

Ban Islam. Go back to isolationism of the 20's and '30's. Fire Oust the entire government. Prosecute the bankers (not the banks), crush the Federal Reserve, no Austerity: Give Americans the money to spend to stimulate the economy. It's up to every man and woman inside the US of A to bring about change. The public needs to return to getting informed, rather than "being" informed.

Best of Luck Good 'ol USA: We're praying for you. confused.gif

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 22:28)

This isn't the first time they've taken people's words out of context and ran with them. Oprah Winfrey went through a two month lawsuit because she said she had stopped eating meat because of madcow concerns. Plus Texas doesn't have the best record when it comes to wrongful executions. confused.gif

Steven Ride
  • Steven Ride

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (PacketOVerload_x64Bit @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 03:48)
Ban Islam. Go back to isolationism of the 20's and '30's. Fire Oust the entire government.

Dear lord, that can never be good.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

“In light of recent situations, statements such as the one Justin made are taken seriously,” said an Austin police detective in a statement.

Carter’s father said his son didn’t follow the news at all.

“Justin was the kind of kid who didn’t read the newspaper,” said Jack Carter. “He didn’t watch television. He wasn’t aware of current events. These kids, they don’t realize what they’re doing. They don’t understand the implications. They don’t understand.”

Wait. Kid? At 18 years old, nearing 19? Seriously?

He wasn't aware of current events? THEY DON'T REALIZE WHAT THEY'RE DOING? THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE IMPLICATIONS?! Seriously, you failed as a parent if you raised a 19 year old and you still treat him as "kid", and justifies his lack of interest in the real world with the "They don't understand the implications".

The penalty is beyond retarded, indeed though.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:51 AM Edited by corvettelover, 30 June 2013 - 04:55 AM.

QUOTE (Adam_ @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 03:03)

No need for uncreative snob comments. I'm not a "love my country" type of person, I don't fly my flag or even know the pledge of allegiance anymore fully, but there is too much anti-America going around. sh*t like this happens everywhere. Not only aimed at you, I saw a few other similar comments as well.

However, I will say the world seems to be growing full of pussies every day, everyone is so goddamn sensitive and feel the need to be a "good citizen" because of a ridiculous comment. Everyone seems to be paranoid and overly senstive. You really, really have to watch what you say.

I wonder what the world will be like in another 20 years?

EDIT: Missed this:

Was the kid a straight up moron? Autistic or something? How the hell can you not be aware of any current events? Didn't he talk to anyone or do anything other than play games?

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:15 AM

As for him not being aware of current events; It's becoming more common among the younger generations. I deal with young adults at my job and none of them even know about current events, politics, ect, and certaintly can't hold a conversation about them. It's sad really. I do wonder if it's because they have been raised in a quasi-virtual world. "Friends" are nothing more than people the play against on video games.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (PacketOVerload_x64Bit @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 21:48)
For those that live in the United States:

• You are being spied on and persecuted by your own government.
• Everyday, non-violent and petty acts are being legally criminalized while Haliburton and other contractors are building more jails to keep you locked away.
• You've been attacked constantly losing thousands of your serving soldiers and countless souls on 9/11.
• Your corporations and banks literally ripped the lives from millions of citizens, without ANY prosecution at all.
• Wall Street is consistently (check the new data) getting richer and richer while the citizens foot the bill for it, and suffer for it.
• Your government spies on Free Press; prosecutes whistle blowers and has introduced military overflights into your country.
• "Something weird with chemtrails." "Something weird about anti-depressants in the water supply."
• Mass killings are becoming the norm.
• Drugs, guns and gangs seem to be everywhere.
• Your police force is paranoid, trigger-happy and totalitarian e.g.: enforcing "check points, frivilous laws and providing more brutality that it should on citizens."
• You've allowed a beautiful entity like the internet to fall prey to central censoring, control inside the US due to the DNS Server control.
• The American people in the complacency have allowed Monsanto to do further their crimes against humanity with their Frankencrops of GMO's and no legal recourse.

Ban Islam. Go back to isolationism of the 20's and '30's. Fire Oust the entire government. Prosecute the bankers (not the banks), crush the Federal Reserve, no Austerity: Give Americans the money to spend to stimulate the economy. It's up to every man and woman inside the US of A to bring about change. The public needs to return to getting informed, rather than "being" informed.

Best of Luck Good 'ol USA: We're praying for you.  confused.gif

Oh man, the ignorance is blistering.

Also, how the f*ck is this relevant?

DrDucky
  • DrDucky

3 days left!

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 03:18)
QUOTE (Adam_ @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 13:33)

That's funny tell us another joke.

Obama

OT this country's turning to absolute bullsh*t, pretty soon there'll be no Bill of Rights. Also f*ck that retarded whore that called the police, she's the one who should be in jail for wasting the PD's time. You're not supposed to take anyone over an online game seriously... f*cking over reactive bitch.

Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

I'm gonna jam a fork in my eye. Lock me up for public endangerment and outlaw forks. People really have nothing to do these days, that they lock up kids for sh*t they say online.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (Adam_ @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 16:03)

Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

They're doing it to show that they're actually doing something, it's much easier to lock up kids for an online joke than hunt for a group of 'real' maniacs.

Ben73
  • Ben73

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

Everything is bigger in Texas.... including the stupidity.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

Either this country f*cking sucks, or Texas must be avoided at all costs. The policies here are just getting ridiculous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users