Photo

Most disappointing games?

118 replies to this topic
BisonTheThird
  • BisonTheThird

Knight of Time

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

I've done a search for similar topics and haven't found any so I decided to make my own.

This topic isn't to list the worst games you've ever played, or even necessarily bad games at all, just games that you played that didn't reach your expectations.

The most disappointing game I've played recently was Metro: Last Light. It was so much shorter and more linear than I was expecting, and I ended up blowing through it in one day. Injustice: Gods Among Us was also not as interesting as I hoped it would be, especially because I didn't have many friends to play it with.

Far Cry 3 also wasn't as great as I thought it would be, the main reason being that once you cleared out all of the outposts on the island then there was basically nothing fun left to do anymore.
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, and Black Mesa also come to mind.

How about everyone else?

Eagles
  • Eagles

Here we go, kids

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

Bionic Commando and Dark Void were very disappointing to me, but none of these outweigh the disappointment I had with Assassin's Creed III.
I played and enjoyed all the others, but AC3 left a lot to be desired. And it seems that the same will happen to Black Flag.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

Assassins Creed 3. Definitely. I lost my respect for the "new" Ubisoft after that waste of money.

NathanT
  • NathanT

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

Sleeping Dogs.

Heard so much hype about it and my friend said it was the "best game he'd ever played." Was rather mediocre imo.

elanman
  • elanman

Misanthropic lycanthrope

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (BisonTheThird @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 23:31)
I've done a search for similar topics and haven't found any so I decided to make my own.

This topic isn't to list the worst games you've ever played, or even necessarily bad games at all, just games that you played that didn't reach your expectations.

The most disappointing game I've played recently was Metro: Last Light. It was so much shorter and more linear than I was expecting, and I ended up blowing through it in one day. Injustice: Gods Among Us was also not as interesting as I hoped it would be, especially because I didn't have many friends to play it with.

Far Cry 3 also wasn't as great as I thought it would be, the main reason being that once you cleared out all of the outposts on the island then there was basically nothing fun left to do anymore.
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, and Black Mesa also come to mind.

How about everyone else?

I love CS GO actually. I suppose it all depends on the friends with whom you play it and if you've experience with the previous titles or not.

Anyway, ACIII was a bit of a disappointment. The visuals were good, the native American cultural stuff was interesting as I expected, but the gameplay was pretty naff. I mean, stealth was pretty much impossible forcing you to kill everyone, which contradicts the tenets of the order set in stone by the first two games. Gone also were the intuitive PC controls of ACII and Brotherhood, all in all leaving a rather disappointing game with a plot which does nothing to compel you. It really is a shame, given that the game could've flourished so well with the setting.

I had a lot of hope for ACIII, but in the end it just felt rushed and sluggish to play compared to the masterwork that was ACII.

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

Grand Theft Auto IV and Saints Row The Third.

So much hype, so little redeeming features.

Johan.
  • Johan.

Got milk?

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (NathanT @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 20:04)
Sleeping Dogs.

Heard so much hype about it and my friend said it was the "best game he'd ever played." Was rather mediocre imo.

Yeah that was by far the worst game I ever played last year, another one can be Assassins Creed III hyped up for months and then we get a terrible main character and a boring story.

o Mr Punchy o
  • o Mr Punchy o

British Legionnaire Air Commodore, leader of the Air Corp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

the new Duke nukem
Saints row 3

BisonTheThird
  • BisonTheThird

Knight of Time

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (NathanT @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 00:04)
Sleeping Dogs.

Sleeping Dogs wasn't quite as great as I'd hoped either, and it didn't have much replay value, but it was one of the only two games that came out in 2012 that I could say i actually really enjoyed.

It had a few things that I've been wanting in a GTA for a long time, like fluid movement and parkour controls, a simple but effective combat system, and, most importantly, sliding over the hood of cars.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

I think it's beautiful that you are 256 colors too.

• Zaibatsu
  • Somalia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, and Too Human jump to mind.

- The first 80% of Mass Effect 3 was inferior to the first two, the next 15% was pretty bad, and the last 5...never again.

- Dragon Age 2 was inferior to Origins in every way, which was kind of disappointing, but I enjoyed it none the less. That's at least until the third act when everyone went full retard. Bioware has been ended their games poorly as of late. (Wasn't as bad as Mass Effect 3 though) Tried another play through; couldn't make it through the first act.

- Too Human was just a steaming pile of sh*t.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

Definitely Halo: Reach. It was coming off the buzz of two of my favorite Halo games -- 3 and ODST, and it completely failed to live up to any expectation at all. Every change was for the worse, aside from forge. Thing is, all the maps sucked, so even forge wasn't fun. In the end that is probably the most disappointing game I've ever played. It's single-handedly responsible for the death of my favorite competitive game mode for the Halo series, and since then I've never been able to get into the games as much.

Of all the mistakes humanity as made, giving me the option to fix any of them would just as quickly see me stop Halo: Reach from ever happening.

Steven Ride
  • Steven Ride

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:36 AM Edited by Adam_, 30 June 2013 - 01:40 AM.

grand theft auto: sh*t andreas. I honestly can't really get into the setting. Maybe because of how un-detailed the environments are. I bet I would love it if i played it when it came out, though.

Distrom
  • Distrom

Master Of Puppets

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (Adam_ @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 21:36)
grand theft auto: sh*t andreas

Never heard of that game.

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

Inversion, sh*tty storyline, sh*tty boss fights and sh*tty characters.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

• Zaibatsu
  • Somalia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 01:34)
Definitely Halo: Reach. It was coming off the buzz of two of my favorite Halo games -- 3 and ODST, and it completely failed to live up to any expectation at all. Every change was for the worse, aside from forge. Thing is, all the maps sucked, so even forge wasn't fun. In the end that is probably the most disappointing game I've ever played. It's single-handedly responsible for the death of my favorite competitive game mode for the Halo series, and since then I've never been able to get into the games as much.

Of all the mistakes humanity as made, giving me the option to fix any of them would just as quickly see me stop Halo: Reach from ever happening.

Yeah, Halo Reach was pretty mediocre, but what can you expect? Bungie had one game left in it's contract with Microsoft. Bungie didn't want to make new Halo, but they also wanted full creative control of their new IP. The end result? A half-assed Halo game.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 01:34)

Which mode?

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:17 AM

Assassin's Creed 3. It's not that it was a bad game, but it felt like it could've been so much more IMO.

The setting was great. Revolutionary America. I don't know what it was, but Connor came across as one of the most boring protagonists ever.

It had some nifty ideas like the naval missions, but yeah. I felt a bit underwhelmed when I finished. Didn't feel anywhere near as good after I finished Assassin's Creed 2.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

• Zaibatsu
  • Somalia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

If Assassin's Creed was set in Revolutionary France it would have been a much better game. Just had to set it in Revolutionary America to boost there sales.

I wasn't disappointed. After Brotherhood released I was begging to catch on that Assassin's Creed was Ubisoft's cash cow. Unfortunately I was correct.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

AC3

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

From recent memory DmC: Devil May Cry. I bought the game and got what I was expecting I did however find it disappointing Crapcom went this route.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:05 AM

Brink.

The game looked like it could have been a hit francise, but unfortnately the terrible lag and repetitive gameplay/levels killed it off.

I'll also add Aliens vs Predators 2010.

What a piece of sh*t game.

And finally, I'll agree with everyone else who felt dissapointed with AC 3.
I felted exhausted of the francise after playing Revelations.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:23 AM Edited by nightwalker83, 30 June 2013 - 03:47 AM.

QUOTE (Johacamigames @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 10:55)
Sleeping Dogs.

Yeah that was by far the worst game I ever played last year, another one can be Assassins Creed III hyped up for months and then we get a terrible main character and a boring story.

Same here although, I didn't finish the game because of the stupid control configuration system not allowing 100% configuration like other games.

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

I think, this topic belongs here.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

• Zaibatsu
  • Somalia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE (DODI3OG @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 03:28)
I think, this topic belongs here.

Not really. Halo Reach and Dragon Age disappointed me greatly, but they are not the worst games have ever played.

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Nipperkins @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 11:30)
Not really. Halo Reach and Dragon Age disappointed me greatly, but they are not the worst games have ever played.

Thanks for the insight!
I was also VERY disappointed by DA2. I was expecting to continue those unfinished quests after finishing the story, but I was locked up inside my mansion after then. sad.gif confused.gif

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Well, I have yet to even play AC3, SR3, FC3, Sleeping Dogs, or Halo Reach, so I have no gripes about any of them! lol.gif

The most disappointing game to me was Tony Hawk: Ride. I an not really a skateboarder, but I wanted to get into it, so I got the game for Christmas. After 3 hours of playing, I had yet to ride for 1000 feet in a straight line without falling off. It wasn't even my riding skills, the game was just that broken. It failed on so many levels. What made it even worse, is tat even though they couldn't manage to make the game work well, they made the sturdiest video game peripheral known to man, so an hour and slamming the skateboard on the ground like a guitar won't really do anything to it angry.gif

I refuse to give the game even a 1/10, because it sucked that bad.

Gamespot Review

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

Dragons Age, Skyrim and Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Although Conviction was great, had nice action and all that jazz, it just didn't feel Sam Fisher to me.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:54 AM Edited by badboy_zay, 30 June 2013 - 04:04 AM.

I don't get the reason why people love that sh*t, I can't even complete the game due to the boredom gameplay, the story is average and the characters are lousy as f*ck. and yeah, Vaas might be one cool asshole, but maybe that is the only good thing about the game.
I don't agree about Metro LL though, even though it's damn short but the game itself is amazing, it's been a while since I played such a good FPS game.
but still, like many people suggested, AC3 is the biggest disappoint of 2012

Quackerz Gamerz
  • Quackerz Gamerz

Radio Ga Ga!

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

AC3 - The story was pretty meh, and many of the side missions were rather boring tbh, although the main theme of Revolutionary America and such was a good choice, but poorly executed.

SR3 - The first few hours were fun, but very soon after that when they started to force you into playing some of the side missions *cough* Mayhem *cough*, it soon became annoying and boring. Along with the co-op being very glitchy (atleast for me).

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Johacamigames @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 01:25)
Sleeping Dogs.

Yeah that was by far the worst game I ever played last year,

Did you actually finish the game?
There are parts where you actually feel for a character and actually worry if they live or die.

This isn't directed at you but to the OP.
Metro Last Light probably wasn't good enough for you because you probably rushed it and never noticed all the details.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users