Switching while wanted?

33 replies to this topic
BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

I apologize if this has already been discussed. After listening to the May 22nd GTA 5 o'clock @38m18s I'm a little confused about one aspect of the switching mechanic. At GTAV.net it says...

There are some restrictions to character switching, such as how you can't abandon a character while you have a Wanted Level. Lose the heat first! The character selection meter will let you know when you can swap out.

source

But in an interview at usastoday.com, Leslie Benzies said this...

And the characters won't be sitting idle when they aren't on screen, says Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies. "The player might switch to Michael as he's shopping with his wife, or to Trevor as he's being chased by the cops, or Franklin as he's chilling in front of the TV. The player might then take Franklin out to rescue Michael from the shops and go for a drink, or help Trevor deal with the cops."

source

If you switch to Trevor and he's being chased by the cops, wouldn't that mean you're wanted? I don't understand how you could take Franklin out to help Trevor deal with the cops while you're currently wanted as Trevor. dontgetit.gif

Please discuss.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:25)
I apologize if this has already been discussed. After listening to the May 22nd GTA 5 o'clock @38m18s I'm a little confused about one aspect of the switching mechanic. At GTAV.net it says...

There are some restrictions to character switching, such as how you can't abandon a character while you have a Wanted Level. Lose the heat first! The character selection meter will let you know when you can swap out.

source

And the characters won't be sitting idle when they aren't on screen, says Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies. "The player might switch to Michael as he's shopping with his wife, or to Trevor as he's being chased by the cops, or Franklin as he's chilling in front of the TV. The player might then take Franklin out to rescue Michael from the shops and go for a drink, or help Trevor deal with the cops."

source

If you switch to Trevor and he's being chased by the cops, wouldn't that mean you're wanted? I don't understand how you could take Franklin out to help Trevor deal with the cops while you're currently wanted as Trevor. dontgetit.gif

Please discuss.

Maybe Trevor calls you?

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:30 PM Edited by wwinterj, 28 June 2013 - 05:33 PM.

Interesting. monocle.gif

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Strange, because as far as I have seen in official previews is that you CANNOT go see the other characters in-game. Again, you CANNOT take micheal and go see trevor or franklin unless you're on a mission. When you switch to them, then you see what they were "doing", but it's fake, they are not there until you switch to them, and you cannot meet up with them off-mission. I read that in an official preview, so Leslie is wrong, or they have changed that.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Oh god dammit. Isn't the answer obvious? This is f*cking dumb.

slogan-killer1
  • slogan-killer1

Playa

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:30)
Strange, because as far as I have seen in official previews is that you CANNOT go see the other characters in-game. Again, you CANNOT take micheal and go see trevor or franklin unless you're on a mission. When you switch to them, then you see what they were "doing", but it's fake, they are not there until you switch to them, and you cannot meet up with them off-mission. I read that in an official preview, so Leslie is wrong, or they have changed that.

Source? Cause from what I've read there will be doing their own thing while you're not controlling them not becoming non-existent. Sorry for doubtin your statement but yea I'm doubting you.

Fisha695
  • Fisha695

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

I read that as you the player (Michael in that case) driving to help Trevor, not switching to him.

That being said it's entirely plausible that you'd be able to switch to somebody with a wanted level but you couldn't switch from somebody with a wanted level.

niall g
  • niall g

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

what about wally why is no one discussing how he is in another protagonists field of vision and then when you switch he automatically changes to another protagonist wheres wally noooooooooooooo the red and white will remain hidden from view who cares about wanted ratings

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (niall g @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:41)
what about wally why is no one discussing how he is in another protagonists field of vision and then when you switch he automatically changes to another protagonist wheres wally noooooooooooooo the red and white will remain hidden from view who cares about wanted ratings

Exactly. Nobody else seems to be able to understand this.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

You can switch to a character who has a wanted level but you cant switch if you have a wanted level. pretty simple, really, a lot of simpletons round here.

Their might even be a little icon next to the characters face on the wheel that tells you if he has a wanted level or not.

JStarr31
  • JStarr31

Vice Money Murder Gang {V.$.M.G}

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Trevor getting chased by cops could be one of those "dynamic events" and not necessarily warranted by wanted-stars. If that's the case then you can switch as you please... but doing so, like bringing Franklin to help, might gain you a wanted level thus keeping you "stuck" as Franklin (until the heat is off of course)

or...

Everyone has their info wrong lol

Fisha695
  • Fisha695

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 13:30)

You never stopped to think that things like Franklin coming to meet & hang out with Michael at the mall or while randomly driving down a road Trevor goes flying by you being chased by the cops aren't scripted scenarios to make it look like the 2 other characters have lives when you're not controlling them?

Basically when you are controlling 'A' then 'B & C' are not really existent, however to make it look/feel like they are existent there are scripted scenarios that'll happen from time to time (be it actual side-missions, or hanging out or them being chased by cops, etc) outside of the main storyline arc.

However what I'm interested in is how the interactions between the 3 characters will play-out once the storyline is completed (if all 3 survive) and you're just basically playing a never ending open world time waster. For example I have a feeling that Franklin (if he survives) will end up getting rich, getting married & moving out of the hood within the final few missions of the game, now the question is once the storyline ends does Franklin retain his wife so like when you switch to him will you have to deal with a pestering wife or could you interact with the wife, etc.....

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:03 PM Edited by BlackNoise, 28 June 2013 - 07:07 PM.

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:43)
You can switch to a character who has a wanted level but you cant switch if you have a wanted level. pretty simple, really, a lot of simpletons round here.

Their might even be a little icon next to the characters face on the wheel that tells you if he has a wanted level or not.

Just read the quote exactly. Maybe he's wrong, but the quote is saying you can switch to a character while they're being chased by the cops(wanted) and THEN you can switch to another protagonist and go help that wanted character.

"The player might switch to Michael as he's shopping with his wife, or to Trevor as he's being chased by the cops, or Franklin as he's chilling in front of the TV. The player might THEN take Franklin out to rescue Michael from the shops and go for a drink, or help Trevor deal with the cops."

_L1pE_
  • _L1pE_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 16:03)

Just read the quote exactly. Maybe he's wrong, but the quote is saying you can switch to a character while they're being chased by the cops(wanted) and THEN you can switch to another protagonist and go help that wanted character.

"The player might switch to Michael as he's shopping with his wife, or to Trevor as he's being chased by the cops, or Franklin as he's chilling in front of the TV. The player might THEN take Franklin out to rescue Michael from the shops and go for a drink, or help Trevor deal with the cops."

Maybe the game will let you switch if the wanted level wasn't caused by you, so when you switch to Trevor you don't get stuck as him.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

That is definitely conflicting info. I imagine you can't switch while wanted, but you can switch to a character that is wanted. But it says that you can take another protag to rescue the one that is wanted. Sounds pretty damn weird. Seems like one of those features you won't understand until you play the game.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (_L1pE_ @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 19:11)
QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 16:03)

Maybe the game will let you switch if the wanted level wasn't caused by you, so when you switch to Trevor you don't get stuck as him.

Most logical thing I've read here. I didn't even think about that. Maybe it's a way to balance the situation out, because the game basically just forced you into a wanted level. I bet you get the option to switch out for a certain period of time before you're stuck as that wanted protagonist.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:33 PM Edited by brian., 28 June 2013 - 07:38 PM.

QUOTE (Fisha695 @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 13:53)
QUOTE (brian. @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 13:30)
Strange, because as far as I have seen in official previews is that you CANNOT go see the other characters in-game. Again, you CANNOT take micheal and go see trevor or franklin unless you're on a mission. When you switch to them, then you see what they were "doing", but it's fake, they are not there until you switch to them, and  you cannot meet up with them off-mission. I read that in an official preview, so Leslie is wrong, or they have changed that.

You never stopped to think that things like Franklin coming to meet & hang out with Michael at the mall or while randomly driving down a road Trevor goes flying by you being chased by the cops aren't scripted scenarios to make it look like the 2 other characters have lives when you're not controlling them?

Basically when you are controlling 'A' then 'B & C' are not really existent, however to make it look/feel like they are existent there are scripted scenarios that'll happen from time to time (be it actual side-missions, or hanging out or them being chased by cops, etc) outside of the main storyline arc.

However what I'm interested in is how the interactions between the 3 characters will play-out once the storyline is completed (if all 3 survive) and you're just basically playing a never ending open world time waster. For example I have a feeling that Franklin (if he survives) will end up getting rich, getting married & moving out of the hood within the final few missions of the game, now the question is once the storyline ends does Franklin retain his wife so like when you switch to him will you have to deal with a pestering wife or could you interact with the wife, etc.....

Yea, you basically reiterated what I said, I think.

The other characters do not exist and cannot be visited on random. Only by switching to them, it's been confirmed already, so leslie's statements are confusing, because I have already read somewhere (not finding it, I read it, so I'll just repeat what I read) that you cannot just go to trevors as mike and see him there. You have to switch to him, or be on-mission.

Those events, being chased by cops, and being out with wife or watching tv, or waking up next to dead lost members and stuff like that, according to what I read, is only upon switching, that you cannot take michael and go see trevor there, but if you switch to trevor, you'll see trevor then.

Is that about the same as you said, just to be sure?

It would be neat if they do in fact go through their daily lives without you controlling them and you can see them, but I am pretty sure as I believe we've both outlined together that it is only an illusion, and they only exist together when on-mission.

Also, the "meter" will tell you when you can switch - seems like you will be limited by a cooldown between switches?

And, if you switch to trevor and he is wanted, you won't be able to switch out, and it won't be hard to lose the cops, it will be like a random encounter in an RPG. I can almost assure everyone that this game will be a very-often-wanted game anyway, with heat meter even when not wanted (like true crime or games like that with the heat level or karma things) and if there is truth to the traffic rules thing and no golf carts on roads allowed etc, then that supports also that they want the player wanted all the time, the way it's meant to be played, racing through the city, bashing things up, and running from the cops - just like Dan Houser said when he spoke about why there are no traffic laws in IV, it makes sense that they added them in V with the new wanted system being smarter and more possible to hide from cops etc, they want you wanted more often this time around, they want it to feel rambunctious and action packed.

Cysiek
  • Cysiek

1+1=69

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

while we got a wanted level switching would be unavailable. Confirmed few weeks ago whatsthat.gif

THEREALRIK
  • THEREALRIK

REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 13:25)

source

source

Please discuss.

I was always curious if you can rescue Michael as Franklin then take him to save Trevor from the cops. If you can get all 3 together then what if you gain a wanted level and you couldn't switch between the 3 that kinda defeats the purpose of being able to switch I think.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

100% BADASS.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (reform @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:31)

If you have nothing to add to the discussion then GTFO...I bet you can call your buddies for help if the cops have you pinned down and they will come to your aid.

GTA-Fan-1
  • GTA-Fan-1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

I hope you can't change when cops come after you then whenever they come you have a quick easy way out

Lil_B_The Basedgod
  • Lil_B_The Basedgod

f*ck the mods

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 19:33)
I read that in an official preview, so Leslie is wrong, or they have changed that.

How could you say he's wrong? Your making it much more complicated that it has to be. You have the OPTION to switch to any protagonist. IF you decided to switch to Franklin you could meet up with Trevor or Michael.

Redwood Cigarettes
  • Redwood Cigarettes

The R★ Games Collector.

• Members
  • England

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

I also thought it had been confirmed already in multiple sources that we cannot switch characters while wanted. notify.gif

I think the usatoday thing is either a misquote or has been interpreted wrong.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:11 PM Edited by brian., 28 June 2013 - 08:14 PM.

QUOTE (Lil_B_The Basedgod @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 15:57)
I read that in an official preview, so Leslie is wrong, or they have changed that.

How could you say he's wrong? Your making it much more complicated that it has to be. You have the OPTION to switch to any protagonist. IF you decided to switch to Franklin you could meet up with Trevor or Michael.

So you are telling me, that I can play as Michael, and go observe Trevor living out his life?

You're telling me, that I can play as franklin, and stalk Michael? Bull.

I doubt anyone exists off mission except for whichever player you choose.

When you switch to Trevor, Michael and Franklin are non-existent. When you switch to Michael, Franklin and Trevor are nowhere to be found on the map. ONLY on mission or when switching and actually being in control of them can you see them. If you are free roam as trevor, michael doesn't exist until you switch to him, franklin either.

This is what I read - and I have been lookin for it for 20 minutes now, so no source from me - but I am "pretty sure" (I could be wrong, I know) that you CANNOT see the other characters off-mission unless you are controlling them.

Is this wrong or right? Or is it still unknown? Because I distinctly remember someone in an interview saying you can have the players together on-mission, but can only ever see one of them at a time when off-mission... in other words - you cannot go watch them live their lives. You will need to call them and set something up, you cannot just go watch them live and bump into them or blow up their car etc.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

100% BADASS.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

They said you can find the protag you are controlling living their daily lives.

Mig10
  • Mig10

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:25)

source

source

Please discuss.

I would say that that means you are going to be automatically switched to deal with your co-protags heat but you shouldn't be able to bail whilst playing with your co-portags.

Galaxyass
  • Galaxyass

West Coast Rock Steady

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 20:11)
QUOTE (Lil_B_The Basedgod @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 15:57)

So you are telling me, that I can play as Michael, and go observe Trevor living out his life?

You're telling me, that I can play as franklin, and stalk Michael? Bull.

I doubt anyone exists off mission except for whichever player you choose.

When you switch to Trevor, Michael and Franklin are non-existent. When you switch to Michael, Franklin and Trevor are nowhere to be found on the map. ONLY on mission or when switching and actually being in control of them can you see them. If you are free roam as trevor, michael doesn't exist until you switch to him, franklin either.

This is what I read - and I have been lookin for it for 20 minutes now, so no source from me - but I am "pretty sure" (I could be wrong, I know) that you CANNOT see the other characters off-mission unless you are controlling them.

Is this wrong or right? Or is it still unknown? Because I distinctly remember someone in an interview saying you can have the players together on-mission, but can only ever see one of them at a time when off-mission... in other words - you cannot go watch them live their lives. You will need to call them and set something up, you cannot just go watch them live and bump into them or blow up their car etc.

Why wouldn't this be the case? I mean, it's just 2 other characters, it's not like every NPC will be loaded and live their own life everywhere like Sims or something. Just saying. We'll see.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:30)

As far as I'm aware, absolutely nothing has been said about this, even though we've all been wondering since the moment we heard about switching.

Josh410
  • Josh410

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

He probably means that you could help him out with another character, not switch to him.

MikeyB
  • MikeyB

Floppy Member

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (reform @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 17:31)

42?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users