Just Add Water want to make Metal Gear Solid 1 HD

6 replies to this topic
theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

Just Add Water, the developers behind the Oddworld series HD remakes, have volunteered to remake the first Metal Gear Solid using Kojima Productions' Fox Engine.

In an open letter to Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, the studio which is currently working on Abe's Oddysee remake Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty said they are "ideally positioned" to remaster the original 1998 action-adventure stealth title.

"We at Just Add Water feel ideally positioned to do the remake justice for several reasons," reads the letter posted to the studio's official website, along with a short itemized lists of reasons.

"One: we have experience working with legendary IP (Oddworld Inhabitants) and treating the subject matter with the respect it deserves. Two: many members of our team are huge Metal Gear fans, with very good knowledge of the source material.

"Three: We really, really want to do it."

The company pointed to its work on Oddworld: Strager's Wrath HD which launched last year for PlayStation 3, Vita and Windows PC as evidence of its talent for remakes.

Earlier this week, reports circulated that Kojima was actively searching for a studio to remake Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. Kojima clarified that this information, which came from an article discussing a round table he participated in at E3, was a mistranslation.

"I answered, 'You (the journalist) wanted me to do [Metal Gear Solid 2] on Fox Engine, but I [can't do it]," he tweeted in response to the article. "I wish if only someone could make [Metal Gear Solid 1] on Fox Engine."

While Kojima is not actively pursuing outside development for the possible updates, he would gladly allow a developer with enough "love and passion" to remake the games using the Fox Engine.

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

I might probably buy this game since I'm a fan of stealth videogames.

What made me think that this is a good idea on JAW's side is that today's generation of gamers are more attached to immersion/realism.
Immersion/realism nowadays adds up to the value of the gameplay, hence it's importance in modern videogames.

For sure, a lot of today's gamers' will refuse to buy the first MGS once more 'cause it has aged by today's standards and JAW might surely be one of the gaming's gods if they remake MGS1 on the FOX engine.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

There has already been a HD remake of MGS2 so why are they looking for another remake? Unless they mean a total remake of the game and not just updated visuals.

I think MGS1 in HD would be good, it baffled me why they didn't include it in the HD remakes that got released a while ago,

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

You won't believe this, but it turns out Just Add Water didn't really intend to make a remake of Metal Gear Solid. They wrote an open letter to Kojima, but it was just a joke, as they recently announced.

So, Just Add Water only did that because they're attention whores. They'd never make a remake, even if Kojima let them do it, because they wouldn't know where to start with the FOX Engine in the first place. Sad!

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'm in the camp with the "why bother" fellas. MGS had been remade and remastered plenty. It holds up.

But... what about the original Metal Gear?

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:35 PM Edited by Daz, 28 June 2013 - 07:37 PM.

I don't know about this personally.

I hold the MGS games very close to my heart that is probably why I have chest pains alot.

I wanted a remake of the MG1 and MG2:SS games from the MSX in full next gen 3D AAA titles before I wanted one of MGS1.

Though it sounds like just an HD upgrade, it will still be a different engine and I don't want a different feel or overly jazzed version.

All I would wish for would be HD support, customizable controls, smoothed out graphics but still the same style, and feel.

I don't want them to piss on what I hold dear, even though The Twin Snakes was a good try, they f*cked up alot of things and obviously we are going to want THE REAL voice actors and real music from the first game if we want an exact remake.

Personally I think they should f*ck off from touching it and just give it a polish to function well with current TV and controls and that is it.

I want this and I also don't want this, I cant really fully explain it.

I just don't want it ruined like it has been in the past.

A joke? What a bunch of complete assholes.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Zancudo @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 20:19)
You won't believe this, but it turns out Just Add Water didn't really intend to make a remake of Metal Gear Solid. They wrote an open letter to Kojima, but it was just a joke, as they recently announced.

So, Just Add Water only did that because they're attention whores. They'd never make a remake, even if Kojima let them do it, because they wouldn't know where to start with the FOX Engine in the first place. Sad!

I think they would do it if they could use their own engine, which they've been doing HD Remakes on for a while now, even the upcoming Oddworld New 'N'N Tasty is running on it, and if you compare all three HD Remakes so far, they certainly know how to do some great stuff with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users