Help me out please!

6 replies to this topic
Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

So by the end of the year I will be going to a community college and take up Computer Science and hopefully that will lead me to Game Developemnet. So I was wondering if there's software or something so I guess I can get a head start on the programming side of things.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

See the thread titled, "Learning programming from scratch," just a few topics below? Start there.

By the way, your question is a bit like saying, "I want to be a writer. Is there software that can help?" But that's another story.

Rawra
  • Rawra

Daedric Prince of Madness

• Members

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:09 PM Edited by Rawra, 26 June 2013 - 10:30 PM.

Well if you're wanting to get into game programming (I'm assuming big games) , you'll be wanting to learn C/++ (I would personally recommend the book C++ Primer by Stephen Prata) as I assume all CS courses cover it, and Java I believe. You should also brush up on your math geometry. K^2 recommended a great book for me called Introduction to Direct X 9 a Shader Approach. I couldn't get shaders to work with DirectX 9 so I moved onto DirectX 10 with 'Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10' by Frank Luna. (this also covers some math geometry)

Edit: Also, another book I had was 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development ( I had the 1st edition, 2nd looks a lot better).

I've also just realized how much I have forgotten with 3D graphics programming, ha

Mista J
  • Mista J

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 21:14)
See the thread titled, "Learning programming from scratch," just a few topics below? Start there.

By the way, your question is a bit like saying, "I want to be a writer. Is there software that can help?" But that's another story.

What I meant was that I was wondering if there was software or program that teaches the basics of programming not that I want it to do some of the work for me. Thanks for the replies guys. icon14.gif

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

I understand. Same reply. Learning is usually done with books. Programming is no exception.

Mista J
  • Mista J

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Then I shall learn with books. Thanks again. icon14.gif

BrunoLK
  • BrunoLK

Prank caller, prank caller!!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'm going into my 2nd year of computer science.
Install Eclipse and mess around with it. If you have no programming knowledge at all, look up some books amd maybe some video tutorials to get you started. Lots of good stuff out there.
I'd recommend starting with either java or C.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users