» «
Photo

Is this game based on the 3D Era?

8 replies to this topic
Our lord Steve Jobs
  • Our lord Steve Jobs

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

I've been noticing that a lot for that time when I used to play this on my DS (now up on the list of items I will sell)... engines sound similar, sounds are similar, ped dialogue can be recognizable from LCS, car brake sounds, car physics (easy to damage and flip to explode) etc. Has anyone noticed that?

HeliPilot
  • HeliPilot

GTAIII Mobile Mods

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

Sure is, same cannon as GTA4.
I've also noticed quite a bit of audio lifted directly from 4. One example is driving through a toll gate the "thank you" audio is exactly the same as GTA4.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Some audio was recycled from the Stories games, others from GTA IV. It also feels over-the-top and crazy like the GTA III/3D Era games. Nevertheless, it's still part of the GTA IV/HD Era Canon. This is clearly evident by the rendition of Liberty City and the names of CW characters showing up on the LCPD database in GTA IV.

Our lord Steve Jobs
  • Our lord Steve Jobs

• Members

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

The engine feels like gta 3d era so is it?

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (FacebookStalkerJustKidding @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 04:28)
The engine feels like gta 3d era so is it?

Uh, did you read my post above? Yes, the engine feels similar but it's set in GTA IV's timeline.

Our lord Steve Jobs
  • Our lord Steve Jobs

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I see. I was wondering if this game is based off 3d era architecture, not time.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

I agree that if feels like it 'belongs' in the III era but I have no opinion on the fact it is not.

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

It's set in 2009 after GTA IV, but it's not part of the IV canon like the two episodes and GTA V are. It uses IV's city because it would be stupid to use the old version just after having released IV.

The names of characters being on GTA IV's database has nothing to do with CW. Huang Lee was just a random name like all the others at first. R* just decided to make a spin off and chose that name (and those associated with it) to craft a game from it.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

He's asking about the game engine, more than which "era" it takes place in (for the record, I know it's not popular to say, but LC is always the same LC. LS is always the same LS. It just get iterated on, the nods to the past are just that. NYC has 10 million people in it. Claude worked for mafia back in 2000, Niko wasn't even around until fall 2007 (the time gta iv takes place/was supposed to be released)

The game engine is, if I'm not mistaken, a heavily changed version of rage, or otherwise a one-off engine for that game particularly. The assets such as sounds and graphics and even the rendering of those graphics is by and whole irrelevant to the technology driving them - Like how Bully was done on a heavily modified Vice City engine, while its PC and Xbox 360 forward ports were done with Gamebryo, it all remained the same (save for some extra visual effects added)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users