19 replies to this topic
Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

I know this isn't really big news for most here, but in India, it's been all over the news, due to a cloud burst a massive flood struck Uttarkhand, epidemic threats looming, the worst is over according to the Government but it's just shocking:

http://en.wikipedia....th_India_floods

Epidemic:

http://daily.bhaskar...301224-PHO.html

The rain in the North was 446 % above normal:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Glad I live in the South where the heat is burning, however still hundreds are stranded, my condolences go to the family of the victims.

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 04:14)

user posted image

Bloody terrifying. R.I.P to all the victims.

Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

Thousands dead? Holy crap.. R.I.P to all of those unlucky ones, hopefully the missing ones are found soon confused.gif

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:42 AM Edited by Ferocious Banger, 25 June 2013 - 04:52 AM.

This is what happens when humans go against mother nature.

The amount of pollution that the Ganges has had to endure was extremely worrisome. This and the insane plundering of sand by the sand mafia are two of the major causes. Maybe not the former, but the latter is definitely one.

What is happening there is absolutely terrifying; two storey houses have submerged under the silt of flood. The amount of people trapped and dead is ridiculous.

The disaster management of the Uttarkhand government has been embarrassing at best.

Narendra Modi and a few other CM's have done their best to bring their statesmen back; but this is mostly political in nature, although it doesn't really matter now, for any help is good help.

It is also f*cking sickening how the political parties are playing politics in this time of crisis.

I am not supporting Modi here, but what stops the Congress and its allies from aiding the people? Yes. Modi's work was with the general elections next year in mind, but he has helped thousands of people, and that is what matters.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

With all said and done, the Indian army are the real heroes here; they've been unbelievable!

user posted image

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 23:42)
and the insane plundering of sand by the sand mafia are two of the major causes. Maybe not the former, but the latter is definitely one.

I'm not familiar with this. Are saying that people have taken/sold sand in such large amounts from areas that it caused this flooding? Is this sand then sold in India or exported?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 10:30)
and the insane  plundering of sand by the sand mafia are two of the major causes. Maybe not the former, but the latter is definitely one.

I'm not familiar with this. Are saying that people have taken/sold sand in such large amounts from areas that it caused this flooding? Is this sand then sold in India or exported?

No. The Flood was caused by a cloud burst near a historic temple, even worse the bank chest of the temple is empty, survivors say that they saw people looting money, dying from landslides, there are some foreigners too, the army are doing a good job rescued 4000 so far I believe. In the paper one of the survivors said that they had stayed at a temple and then it started to rain and the hotel started to shake then they started walking and they looked back at the hotel and it was swept away by the flood, horrifying, it looks more like a Tsunami than a flood.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

Wow, that's just terrible. sad.gif R.I.P To everyone who had lost their lives. I never really noticed how often there is tragedy in the world until I joined this forum and had the opportunity to read about the lives and struggles of many people across the world. It's really heartbreaking.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

People actually do take sand and sell it.. so it's possible that could have played a part but not sure, I'm not an Indian-native.

Sad to see such devastation and hats off to the Indian Army for their efforts and success so far in the rescue.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 10:40)
People actually do take sand and sell it.. so it's possible that could have played a part but not sure, I'm not an Indian-native.

Yes, they do but I don't think that played a part in this, it could have, you can't say.

Also, why the hell are they holding Political Rallies amidst such a crisis, I agree with Ferocious.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:21 AM Edited by Ferocious Banger, 25 June 2013 - 05:25 AM.

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 10:30)
and the insane  plundering of sand by the sand mafia are two of the major causes. Maybe not the former, but the latter is definitely one.

No. The acts of sand mafia further aided the destruction caused by the rains.

And yes, there is a massive sand mafia here. They export sand illegally. You just need to go to a river in India to see that the illegal plundering of sand at river beds happen even in broad daylight.

@Ace- Do you realize the imbalance the lack of natural sand causes?

The Armageddon
  • The Armageddon

Zohair Irani

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:46 AM Edited by The Armageddon, 25 June 2013 - 07:29 AM.

I am from India,too. Thats really terrifying.
It looks like another 26th july disaster is near. But lets just hope its not.
Condolences to the victims' families sad.gif

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 14:42)
[IMG]http://static.ibnliv...loods_rains.jpg[IMG]

That picture is amazing. Really beautiful.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 04:42)

Blaming the victims.
Nice work.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:57 AM Edited by Ferocious Banger, 25 June 2013 - 08:02 AM.

QUOTE (Typhus @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 12:53)

Blaming the victims.
Nice work.

What? Where do you see me blaming those poor souls?

The illegal sand looting and other buildings at the river bank contributed to the landslides, and consequently the disaster itself.

If I were to blame them, I'd say that visiting the Himalayas during monsoon wasn't the best of decisions; but we can't really blame them now.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 07:57)

Blaming the victims.
Nice work.

Hah! Re-read his notion and try wrapping your head around this time.

I'm sure you'll appreciate Typyhus' sarcasm this time. icon14.gif

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (rudy. @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 13:52)
QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 07:57)

Blaming the victims.
Nice work.

Hah! Re-read his notion and try wrapping your head around this time.

I'm sure you'll appreciate Typyhus' sarcasm this time. icon14.gif

Sarcasm isn't always easily detectable on the internet. tounge.gif

Anyways, Typhus, if that indeed was a sarcastic reply, I'm sorry for getting worked up. smile.gif

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

That's terrible... Doesn't large amount of people live in the riverside? That and a poor quality of the buildings are big factors for disasters like this with such as large amount of victims. I think the authorities could have avoid, partly, the disaster.

The Armageddon
  • The Armageddon

Zohair Irani

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

This year, in India, the rains have started too much early and unexpected. Also with a large magnitude at the early stages of the Rainy Season. I think Government just overlooked this, and this is the result. whatsthat.gif

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Exceptionally I don't get shock about this since some countries that are susceptible to heavy flooding, example like our own country, always happen in the monsoon season. But it's safe to assume that it is indeed shocking to see many victims dying and suffering at this ordeal. Well have a safe venture there and many condolences to the victims in India.

Kudos to Philippines. sad.gif

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Over one thousand dead? My condolences go out to the people of India, this is terrible confused.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users