How to deal with departing friends?

14 replies to this topic
MarshDanni
  • MarshDanni

The Godfather

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

How to deal with it? Since school ended I really feel bad and kinda depressed, I know that's life but how to make things better? I mean it isn't easy departing with someone who you've been for 8 years. I really don't know what to do. I'm in contact with a few of them but knowing that we probably won't be all together again really saddens me. So if you guys could please give me a few advices. Thanks smile.gif

Mr.Mordecai
  • Mr.Mordecai

To be, or not to be. That is the question.

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hmm, get new friends or try to hang out with them.

Or group suicide so you can be together. Forever. alien.gif

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Rumpy Bumps

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

By departing, do you mean, like, your friend is leaving for another town, or that you and your friends arent friends anymore?

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

Make an effort to go visit them, sitting around moping never helped, and go make new friends.

Kuruma.
  • Kuruma.

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Scotland

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

Are you not going on to do something else after school like college, university or work? If you are you'll meet new people there, most people don't really stay friends with people from school for long after anyway.

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

I can honestly say that I haven't spoken to anyone from my school since 2012.

I haven't seen them since I left in 2011 and all my friends that I have now I met when I moved up here in June 2012.

Sure you do wonder what the group would be like now if you were still in contact but you manage to overcome it easily.
  • abccba123 likes this

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

make new friends.

/thread

Woody510
  • Woody510

salubrious

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:43 AM

Time heals all things man. Its really tough in the beginning but as time goes by it gets easier. As sh*tty as it sounds, once you start to get used to them being around it becomes easier to look back on the good times and smile without feeling like somethings missing. That was probably the toughest part about being in the military for me. There were times you didn't leave your buddies side for more than the time it it took to take a sh*t, and it would be like that for months. It was a constant cycle of becoming almost brothers with someone and then having to see them off to the other side of the world. But luckily we live in a time when no matter how far away someone may be, they're always no farther than a phone call or a mouse click away.

As for my friends from high-school, we all went our separate ways, and there's really no way around that, but you'll know who your true friends are because you'll always do whatever you have to to be able to continue spending time with them, even if its just for a few weeks every year or two. I still meet up with a handful of friends from high-school, regardless of who has to travel where, and I always find that even if a year has passed I always step off the plane and things seem to pick up right where they left off.

But its important to understand that some people change. Someone who may be one of your best friends now might go off to college and find that when the personality they had in high-school is no longer known by the people around them, they might step outside of themselves and start living as a person radically different from the person you knew, be it for better or for worse.

As for how to deal with it, the best advice I can give you is to just let the chips fall as they may. There are a myriad of contingencies in life that you can't plan for. If you spend too much time and effort trying to keep things the way they are, you're going to wake up some day and realize that your life has passed you by. Keep the friends that want to be kept, and let the lives of those who've strayed away from you unfold as they may. Find comfort in the fact that there are strangers walking the streets in towns you haven't been to yet that are going to be your best friends some day...as long as you can refrain from spending too much time on GTAF, of course. tounge2.gif

Jaypricemann
  • Jaypricemann

Yeah, I know.

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

Make new friends, but don't neglect your old ones. Sometimes a break from them just makes your bond stronger.

jackass2009
  • jackass2009

We're bouncing now?

• Members

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

If you're asking how to deal with departing FROM friends, IE, moving to a new state with a lack of communication, I solved that problem with alcoholism.

Seriously, though, like someone with an intellect vastly superior to mine Woody510 scribed prior to this post, time heals all wounds, and most of the time, absence makes the bonds grow stronger. I met up with some friends from high school who I haven't seen in a while and it's been great hanging out with them again.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

Well, you could all still see each other. Its called making an effort.
I have a small group of 5 friends (Myself included) And we have been mates since we started secondary/ high school. So i have been mates with them now for over 11 years. We were mates all through school, then college. When we left college we all got jobs, long term girlfriends ETC. But you can always make time for your friends. Just because you finish school does not mean the end of the friendship.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

There are a whole variety of communications that is bound here in this world, such example is the social networking sites. Social networking sites never fail in connecting with some of your friend despite being miles away.

Rewas514
  • Rewas514

Derp

• The Yardies
  • Lithuania
  • Best Snapmatic [Scenery] 2013

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Keep in contact with them.

My friend dropped out from school when we were in 5th grade (now I'm in 12th grade), because he decided to go to Germany with his mom, and later he moved to UK. We still chat with each other on Skype and we even meet with each other in Summer each year.

Who knows, maybe you'll meet with them again some day, if you are best friends with them.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Friends from school are only your friends during school because you're acquainted with them everyday. Though some do stick around for long periods of time afterwards but alot won't and that's due to age and they moved on. Families, getting hitched, careers, yada yada.. Just establish contact with some if you can, through phone, facebook or whatever. If it's unsuccessful, there's no need to be depressed, be happy that they're moving on and take it as a nod that you should do the same and see what life AFTER school has to offer. Venture out and make some new pals and all that good stuff.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:41 AM

Just try to make new friends. They will be good enough until school starts back up again, then you can go back to your old ones, and still have the new ones. It's a win-win situation. tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users