Quantcast

» «
Photo

Which "Rockstar" do you like better?

48 replies to this topic

Poll: Which "Rockstar" do you like better? (96 member(s) have cast votes)

Which "Rockstar" do you like better?

1. The current Rockstar (50 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

2. The new millennium Rockstar (35 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

This may be a very odd question, but as the poll goes, which "Rockstar" do you like better? Me and my buddy were talking about Rockstar games the other day, and he said he liked how Rockstar was now (the current Rockstar), where they made games with life-like graphics and wide open maps, like Red Dead Redemption, GTA 4, etc. However, I told my friend that in my opinion, Rockstar was better back around 2000-ish, which I'll call the "New Millennium Rockstar", where the games had some of the best easter eggs and cheeky references (Vice City), drum and bass Music (GTA 3 and Midnight Club), gritty atmosphere (GTA 3 and Midnight Club), etc. Personally, I prefer the New Millennium Rockstar, but then again, it's mostly due to nostalgia.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

I love the old millennium Rockstar for GTA Vice City, Manhunt and San Andreas but I love the current Rockstar for GTA 4 and 5 (which will be my new favorite game of all time), RDR and Max Payne 3.

I suppose I love the new Rockstar better for gameplay but the old Rockstar way better for their nostalgic songs and Easter Eggs. inlove.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Good question. Nostalgia aside, I felt Rockstar were a bit more bold and brash back in the day. A bit like a young band that don't give a sh*t, f*ck the system, let's do things our way.

They certainly stepped up their game professionally but I feel they mellowed out a little on the easter eggs (RDR) and giving the two fingers to anyone they could in the industry.

That's all just outsider speculation on my behalf. Just an impression I get.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:31 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 24 June 2013 - 02:33 PM.

I agree, pinkfloydsound.

R's games have become considerably less brutal over the years, nothing they have made has come close to the brutality of Manhunt or The Warriors, (more so Manhunt) i await the day they go back to their controversial roots.

I definitely prefer old era R*, The Warriors, Manhunt, Bully, GTA 3/VC/SA. All classics, only new era R game i hold in high regard is RDR.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

dat was mad tekkers bruh

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Old R* were better tbh. New R* are just more about money now, with all the pre-order bonuses and cut content.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Group: Epsilonist

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Their quality has only increased, and so has their greed.

Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Cosmic Gypsy @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 16:31)
R's games have become considerably less brutal over the years, nothing they have made has come close to the brutality of Manhunt or The Warriors

The problem is that, with current graphics becoming more lifelike, brutal violence like that is moving from "controversial" towards "tasteless". At some point it stops being funny/edgy and becomes shocking, more suited to a horror game. They're still controversial on the sexual front (full frontal male nudity in TLAD for example).

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Booze T @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 21:57)
R's games have become considerably less brutal over the years, nothing they have made has come close to the brutality of Manhunt or The Warriors

The problem is that, with current graphics becoming more lifelike, brutal violence like that is moving from "controversial" towards "tasteless". At some point it stops being funny/edgy and becomes shocking, more suited to a horror game. They're still controversial on the sexual front (full frontal male nudity in TLAD for example).

While we're at it, let's ban movies like Saw.

Distrom
  • Distrom

Master Of Puppets

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

R* didn't change, they still deliver quality games. the games changed, not they as a company.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yes because Day-1 DLC is totally unchanged.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Booze T @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 18:57)

I disagree with brutality in games becoming tasteless because of the improvement in graphics. If anything it makes the game more intense and exciting. Bruality in films is wide spread and common so why not games?

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 11:06)
Old R* were better tbh. New R* are just more about money now, with all the pre-order bonuses and cut content.

Exactly my view.

Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (Cosmic Gypsy @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 22:25)
I disagree with brutality in games becoming tasteless because of the improvement in graphics. If anything it makes the game more intense and exciting. Bruality in films is wide spread and common so why not games?

I'm not talking about all games in general, just the type of games Rockstar has been making (Bully, RDR, GTA). In my opinion, being able to blow someone's brains over the pavement or saw them in half with a chainsaw with intestines flying all over the place just doesn't go well when it's done to innocent civilians in a semi-realistic open world game.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (Booze T @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 19:57)

I was quite surprised about the sex scenes and nudity in Episodes...'

Speaking about gore.. I wouldn't mind just one weapon that does one brutal thing or a few weapons for a little shock factor again. I suppose ragdoll physics catered for that department for a good while, particularly running over pedestrians.

V seems like it's going to try incorporate it all though. I really hope they do. If so, I'll be playing this GTA so much. I'll feel right at home again, like the old times.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

I would have to say Old Rockstar, While the newer more grown up and proffessional R* still make amazing things, I feel they were more fun back in the day.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Would You Still Remember Me?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:55 AM

I wish i was old enough to actually remember the turn of the millennium rockstar. I remember playing GTA 3 and Vice City in 2003 and that's as far back as i can go.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:02 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 25 June 2013 - 02:05 AM.

Although I grew up during the "millennium" R* era I have to say I like the direction they've taken nowadays.

GTA IV, RDR and MP3 are three of the best games I've ever played. I wont mention LA Noire as it always seems to create a dispute in terms of R* being developers of that game.

I really don't think R* have changed all that much from 10 years ago. It's moreso them keeping up with current trends within the industry.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:26 AM Edited by jamieleng, 25 June 2013 - 02:28 AM.

Current Rockstar most definitely. As games have become harder to develop & companies are trying to turn every franchise into COD, or squeeze every penny from it like Assassins Creed. There's Rockstar, swimming effortlessly against the tide, giving each of their games the development time it needs & each one their day in the sun.

Rockstar could quite easily have done what Ubisoft did & made twice as much money this gen. So next time someone says 'Rockstar only care about what's in your wallet', yes but they aren't trying to gorge themselves on it. Quality over quantity will get my money everytime

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

I like all of Rockstar.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

I like both Rockstar's. I really enjoy RDR and I can't wait for GTA V. The only thing I don't like is the money hungry Rockstar we got today.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:32 AM

Where are you drawing the line? Generation 7?

I like them both for different reasons. The current Rockstar is really good at creating new, life-like worlds that still manage to be a bit wacky, but also manage to tell emotional stories. The old rockstar was a lot better at all-out wackiness and hijinks and giving the players an open world to run around in and do absolutely anything.

And then there are the unfortunate business decisions (for the people who play) that came with the seventh generation, like LazyboyEight said.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

Rockstar games have gotten super sh*t starting with GTAIV and onwards.

Engine and visuals are great, but delivery is just f*cking sh*te. They seemed to be stuck up their own arse ever since san an got super popular they just have this smugness that is not entirely deserving.

They do a lot of great work but alot of that great work is often pissed all over with the restrictive nature of their current games.

Ever since some dickwad said videogames now rival movies, it now makes everyone think the only way to making a good quality game is by cinematics and forced storytelling in games that are supposed to be action adventures.

Where is the f*cking action or adventure in getting nagged by family to do things and having to email your mother at an internet café?

I would have just jumped off that boat and drowned myself if I were Niko, knowing thats what was ahead.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 10:27)

Engine and visuals are great, but delivery is just f*cking sh*te. They seemed to be stuck up their own arse ever since san an got super popular they just have this smugness that is not entirely deserving.

They do a lot of great work but alot of that great work is often pissed all over with the restrictive nature of their current games.

Ever since some dickwad said videogames now rival movies, it now makes everyone think the only way to making a good quality game is by cinematics and forced storytelling in games that are supposed to be action adventures.

Where is the f*cking action or adventure in getting nagged by family to do things and having to email your mother at an internet café?

I would have just jumped off that boat and drowned myself if I were Niko, knowing thats what was ahead.

I totally agree with you, on every point. Rockstar sucks now, they're all about money money money especially with their day-1 dlc bullsh*t, I never expected something like this from Rockstar, I am disappointed, a lot..

The only game I liked is RDR since IV onwards, the rest is meh. IV was a huge pile of crap. A no-no really. Apart from visuals. Even the story is so 1990s.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 08:43)
QUOTE (Daz @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 10:27)

I totally agree with you, on every point. Rockstar sucks now, they're all about money money money especially with their day-1 dlc bullsh*t, I never expected something like this from Rockstar, I am disappointed, a lot..

The only game I liked is RDR since IV onwards, the rest is meh. IV was a huge pile of crap. A no-no really. Apart from visuals. Even the story is so 1990s.

Yes Rockstar are laughing at the pair of you. Bitching & moaning but still first in line for the next Rockstar release. Or maybe you do have some conviction behind that bluster & you will show Rockstar how you feel & boycott them. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

Pathetic.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

First in line? I don't even own a console you fool. Who said I will be the first in line. Oh wait, typical line to say, for an average one digit IQ forumer.

Pathetic.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:00 AM Edited by Daz, 25 June 2013 - 10:03 AM.

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 09:49)
Pathetic.

What is pathetic is the fact you don't know anything about how I think about rockstar or their current games other than the above post. I am not a whiney kid crying because he doesnt get his way. I will be getting GTAV but only for the multiplayer free roam. I certainly do not wank off at the thought of rockstar games in my dreams.

I am simply stating fact, go f*ck off to the V section if you want to be a brainless fanboy. Nobody will miss you.

I obviously must have struck a nerve, or you are just simply too stupid to even understand all the bad points that exist in current rockstar games.

It may be a way videogames are going in general but it still doesnt detract from the fact GTAIV, RDR and Max Payne 3 all sucked major bollocks on the singleplayer side.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:06 AM Edited by jamieleng, 25 June 2013 - 10:09 AM.

QUOTE (Happyness @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 09:57)
First in line? I don't even own a console you fool. Who said I will be the first in line. Oh wait, typical line to say, for an average one digit IQ forumer.

Pathetic.

Ooh, let's put a quote from the last post I read & the only person I agree with. Because I'm not witty enough to come up with anything of my own. Let's also advertise a game from one of the most money grubbing companies out there, but it's ok, because they release on all platforms. Let's face it, this is what it boils down to, they haven't announced GTA V on the only platform you own.

Yes, truly pathetic.

Oh & Daz. Swearing is for people who can't get their point across any other way.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 09:57)

Pathetic.

Currently it's you who's pathetic.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 13:06)
Ooh, let's put a quote from the last post I read & the only person I agree with. Because I'm not witty enough to come up with anything of my own. Let's also advertise a game from one of the most money grubbing companies out there, but it's ok, because they release on all platforms. Let's face it, this is what it boils down to, they haven't announced GTA V on the only platform you own.

Yes, truly pathetic.

Oh & Daz. Swearing is for people who can't get their point across any other way.

For real. How old are you? Do you think I give a crap if GTA V is going to get released for my "platform" or not? No, I don't.
And what have you done? You quoted me and added stupid sh*t to your post. And you're telling me that you got your point "across" .. Hah.

You know, whenever I see someone attempting to do something like: "Let's face it, you're upset because X didn't release the game for paltform Y"... That is the dumbest sh*t I ever heard in my entire life.

Go crawl back into the V section you fanboy. Go suck on Rockstar's titty, they're there to feed you with bullsh*t.

Edit:

Oh another guy joined in, who's upset due to my other post on another thread. Look pal, just leave it be. You're both pathetic.

Funny though. It's usually I who ends up getting warned because I throw an insult in there, but not you or anyone else who provokes. Nice. *clap clap*

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

It's only you who provokes other people.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users