Photo

Delaying ability to create a topic

1 reply to this topic
RedDaggerXL
  • RedDaggerXL

Crash test dummy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:56 PM Edited by RedDaggerXL, 22 June 2013 - 05:54 PM.

After seeing yet another Zidane account created to post yet another tinyurl link, and many other accounts created on the spot used for spam and bad/duplicate topics, it would seem like a good idea to have a delay on new accounts being able to post a topic - either time limited or post limited. This would help stop people saying 'I want to troll GTAF' and being able to do so right then and there; they would have to put effort into doing so, which would likely stop a large majority of spam.

I was wondering whether 30 hours until posting a topic would be harsh, as this would be unfair to the tiny few that join and actually create a meaningful topic.

In my close-minded thinking I can't think of any outstanding negatives to this (and I have no idea how this would be implemented and the strain/effort to do so, though I believe it would have to wait until v1.5 of GTAF since it probably couldn't just be tacked on), but I'm sure it would have a lasting positive effect.

Banning account names with Zidane in them would also be a nice kick in the teeth tounge.gif

Edit: I agree with everything you said Miromiro, this is definitely only from what I've seen in the V section, thinking about it (oh yay that close-mindedness I said earlier).
I guess this could be locked then? It doesn't seem a worthwhile premise anymore.

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:09 PM Edited by miromiro, 22 June 2013 - 05:12 PM.

This would merely work in the GTA V forum, but what about the rest of GTAForums? What about the members that join to post a help topic / request, people that make a new topic as they join because of desperate need of help about a GTA game, or anything alike. You can't punish all those members just because of the GTA V forum spammers. When you see something wrong with a post / topic / member, like a spammer or a troll, simply report it to the staff members, and they'll deal with it. Hell, this is why there are 5 led-bys in that section, and so many Global Moderators on the forum. Sure, at certain parts of the day some moderators won't be online, but the spam will be removed as soon as one of them gets online. Simply report it to the staff members and they'll surely deal with it in the best way you could imagine, that's their job at the end of the day.

And besides, implementing such a feature would be damn troublesome as well. The Admin Control Panel is already pretty messed up because of all the changes done to the software. Another one might be too much and it could cause the forum to crash. Sure, it could maybe be implemented in the V1.5 as you said, but it could not work still because of the reasons I posted in the first paragraph.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users