Power Supply or Motherboard busted?

3 replies to this topic
WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

I just got my PC parts in the mail yesterday and started building my first computer.

-My motherboard is the ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS
-My PSU is the SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

I've been following Newegg's How to Build a Computer video guide and tried to do an out-of-case test boot. I installed my CPU, CPU cooler, Video Card and RAM, and then tied the appropriate power cables to the CPU power port, the motherboard power port, and the video card power port. I plugged in the PSU and double checked to make sure all of the cables were snug and in the proper positions, on both the power box and ports on the motherboard, CPU and video card. I turned on the PSU switch, plugged it in and tried to short the power prongs, but nothing happened. It said in the guide that you could short them with a screwdriver, but nothing happened.

I need to know if this is an issue I'm having with my motherboard, or if it's my PSU (because the internal fans on that weren't even spinning when it was switched on).

If you can give me any helpful advice or answers, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you for taking them time to read about my issue.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

Down in the bottom right corner, where the SATA connections are, is a green LED. This should be lit when the PSU is turned on regardless if the system is on. So that's the first thing you should check for.

As for powering it, turning it on, since you're installing this into a case then just plugin the case's power button and hit it. I don't really care for the jumper method of power testing a system. These can cause shorts if not done correctly and shorts are a bad thing.

If you're still having problems take the PSU, at the very least, to computer store (NOT BEST BUY) just a simple small store or if you have a MicroCenter around you then go there. Tell them of your problem and ask them to test the PSU. Hopefully they won't charge you for that simple test. If the say the PSU is good then it's likely the mobo and ask if you can bring that in for test a quick test as well just to make sure.

If you like the jumper method, there is a way to connect a simple case fan to the PSU, and nothing else, and use a paper clip the power jump it. If the fan turns the PSU is good. Just make sure you use a fan that you know for sure already works.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Thursday, Jun 20 2013, 13:28)
Down in the bottom right corner, where the SATA connections are, is a green LED. This should be lit when the PSU is turned on regardless if the system is on. So that's the first thing you should check for.

As for powering it, turning it on, since you're installing this into a case then just plugin the case's power button and hit it. I don't really care for the jumper method of power testing a system. These can cause shorts if not done correctly and shorts are a bad thing.

If you're still having problems take the PSU, at the very least, to computer store (NOT BEST BUY) just a simple small store or if you have a MicroCenter around you then go there. Tell them of your problem and ask them to test the PSU. Hopefully they won't charge you for that simple test. If the say the PSU is good then it's likely the mobo and ask if you can bring that in for test a quick test as well just to make sure.

If you like the jumper method, there is a way to connect a simple case fan to the PSU, and nothing else, and use a paper clip the power jump it. If the fan turns the PSU is good. Just make sure you use a fan that you know for sure already works.

Thanks for the tips. I hate to be a further bother, but could you describe where on the board the LED is? Here's a reference picture.

user posted image

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Look at the bottom right corner of that image. Where the mounting screw hole is. Just below the SATA 3Gb/s and to the right of the bottom blue SATA 6Gb/s, in fact the red line for the blue kind of underlines the LED.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users