Lenovo Y500 VS PS4 & Xbox One

10 replies to this topic
nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Just bought a Lenovo Idea Pad Y500 for my graduation present, and I love it. Its an amazing laptop, and I recommend it. (Note: Had to buy a laptop instead of a desktop because I'm going to college.) Anyways, here are the default specs of my laptop below. Only changes I made to it was replacing the 16GB SSD with a 256GB SSD, and I'm dule booting, Windows 7 on the 256GB SSD, Windows 8 that came with it on the 1TB HD.

Lenovo Idea Pad Y500 Specs:
3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor( 2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
-
Operating System
Windows 8 64
-
Display
15.6" FHD LED Glossy Wedge 1920x1080
-
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
-
Memory
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
-
Hard Drive
1TB 5400 RPM+16GB SSD
-
Optical Drive
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
-
Network Card
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
-
Bluetooth
Bluetooth Version 4.0
-
Warranty
One year
-
Pointing Device
Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
-
Battery
6 Cell Lithium-Ion

Now for why I'm posting this. I'm wondering how my computer will compare to the high end next gen consoles. I already know that the specs beat the Wii U by a long shot, but I want to know how my PC will compare to the PS4 and the Xbox One.

Console Spec Sheet: (Found this one online. Xbox 360 Specs included as well.)
user posted image

To me it depends. My concern is what my gaming experience will be like on each platform. For example, Watch Dogs. I'm wondering if I will be able to run it as well, better than, or not as well as the next gen consoles. On Crisis 3 I can put some settings on Very High, but some need to be turned down to Medium/High for smooth game play. However the difference is minimal.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

I would say the Xbox One and PS4 have more powerful GPU's, but CPU wise I'm not sure. New PC games should run well on your laptop if they're optimised.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

You can, by all means, not compare a laptop with a console. You will need a much higher powered computer to output the same result as a console due to the better architecture of a console.

The PS4 (yes I will only speak about the PS4 due to the better graphics and GDDR5) will be by far superior to your laptop in the end.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:52 PM Edited by nkjellman, 17 June 2013 - 10:55 PM.

Well, sounds like with games like Watch Dogs, in order to have smooth game play I will have to bump the graphics down a little bit, and it may not look as good as on the PS4. I certainly hope not. I hope its about the same. I know I will certainly be getting better graphics than the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii U versions of the game. When I compare it, I'm comparing it as to how much better, identical, or worse my graphics settings will be when I play Watch Dogs or Battlefield 4 on my computer vs the next gen console version.

Usually its gradual normally, but when a new generation comes out the technology takes a little bit of a bigger step. I looked online, and it says PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 Ram. I couldn't find GDDR5 Ram anywhere lol. My graphics card is GDDR5.

But there are two things about my laptop I forgot to mention.
1. It can be upgraded to 16GB of Ram
2. The disk drive comes out. I can put another GT 750M in place of the drive and do SLI. The other thing that might be possible with this is put a newer GPU in that slot. Of coarse I can't do SLI with two unlike GPU's, but I can possibly disable the built in GT 750M and use the better one in the drive bay.

I love my laptop, but I hope I didn't buy it at a bad time. I'm starting to think that buying it before next gen consoles come out was a bad idea.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Beats about some of that comparison of the hardware, but I l already doubt that your laptop will compare to today's high-end gaming consoles. Look specifically PS4, it's a monster with 8GB of GDDR5 plus a powerful GPU card. Now way that's gonna compare to PC powered console.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

On the PS4, both the GPU and CPU have access to the 8GB GDDR5 RAM, no PC has that, and that's a huge bottleneck. On the PC the various RAM speeds have to communicate with each other, slowing speeds down a lot, parts are spread all across the mainboard. On the new consoles you have CPU and GPU on a single chip, allowing much faster speeds, and games can be optimized for this technology.

The components alone aren't really too spectacular to be honest (besides GDDR5), but it's the way they work together that gives the good results.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:16 PM Edited by kudoboi, 19 June 2013 - 02:20 PM.

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 22:52)
Well, sounds like with games like Watch Dogs, in order to have smooth game play I will have to bump the graphics down a little bit, and it may not look as good as on the PS4.

good luck running watch dogs at 1080P even on low. you probably would have to bump it down to 720P and only medium settings for graphics.

GT750 is a entry level graphics card. you should have bought a laptop with a gtx 680 or gtx 780. i made the same mistake with buying a GT440 PC years ago as well. luckily it was a desktop so i upgraded it to a HD7870

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (Trund @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 15:51)
On the PS4, both the GPU and CPU have access to the 8GB GDDR5 RAM, no PC has that, and that's a huge bottleneck. On the PC the various RAM speeds have to communicate with each other, slowing speeds down a lot, parts are spread all across the mainboard. On the new consoles you have CPU and GPU on a single chip, allowing much faster speeds, and games can be optimized for this technology.

That's a good point. However, not only are the system RAM and VRAM unified on the next-generations consoles, which is a great advantage, but the PlayStation 4 uses GDDR5 memory which is modified DDR3 RAM; and not only an advantage over the PC platform but also an advantage over the Xbox One. The system specifications are not everything that matters and nobody will be able to tell how similar or how much weaker the laptop is, compared to the PS4 and X1.

All we know so far is that all three mentioned platforms are using the x86-architecture which makes the development of future videogames simpler; and developers will likely be able to use the full potential of the consoles a bit earlier this time. Like I said, the hardware is not everything that matters, it's all a question of the software that is used and its optimization. It is a lot easier to use the capabilities of the consoles because the hardware barely changes in the course of a console cycle, which lasts more than half a decade to nearly a decade, whereas it's vice versa on the PC platform. New hardware releases all the time, for example graphic-cards and processors are releasing in masses on yearly basis, and certain models of them release between the start and the end of each generation. That means more hardware that has to be considered in the development of a PC title, and less time for optimizing the title for the great variety of hardware, thus better hardware is required for the same or better result.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

Sorry buddy, your laptop isn't really going to play games well at all. Except much older ones.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:55 PM Edited by nkjellman, 25 June 2013 - 11:49 PM.

Plays Crisis 3 well at medium/high.

Edit: I think it will do fine. It runs GTA 4 with ICEnhancer pretty good too. (Keep in mind that GTA IV isn't very well optimized). The disk drive also can come out and I can put another card in there so I can SLI, and also maybe even put a better card in there.

dhruvgaming
  • dhruvgaming

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

Plays Crisis 3 well at medium/high.

Edit: I think it will do fine. It runs GTA 4 with ICEnhancer pretty good too. (Keep in mind that GTA IV isn't very well optimized). The disk drive also can come out and I can put another card in there so I can SLI, and also maybe even put a better card in there.

Well first of all, you did a mistake asking in a console ruled forum. Now to the question, it all depends on what you wanna do, if you just wanna game maybe browse a little internet all within the comfort of a couch go with a console, also remember consoles have console exclusives that will never see the light of day on PCs. However if you do wanna do stuff like Skype, Video Editing, Typing out a few documents, printing stuff, and at the same time play games (which often are better looking, yeah believe it) then get a PC. The reason why i say that a pc has better graphics is because of tiny things like Physx, Tessellation, Mods which arent available on a console. Plus cost of games is much lesser. And whomsoever says that a console can beat any PC out there, please starting thinking a little and remember the games you love so much weren't created on consoles but on PCs, and game building requires a lot more power than the end product that will be running it. Crysis requires a dual core processor to run it smoothly but to create the game nothing less than a quad is sufficient. Also the Y500 with its dual gpus beats couple top end laptop gpus in the market so performance will no doubt be incredible. and most games with high settings and full hd will work smoothly around 30-40 FPS which is more than sufficient for decent gameplay, unless you're playing tournaments with pros.

So keeping all that in mind choose whatever you want too. And next time ask such questions at sites dedicated to all systems that are filled by knowledgeable people not fanboys. And before you guys start with the teraflops crap, let me remind you thats for the entire system, in a pc the teraflops you comment on is of just the GPU the Quad Core cpu has its own set. Combined the performance increases a lot.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users