Quantcast

» «
Photo

Any way to force a custom resolution (eg hex)?

5 replies to this topic
anusbutt
  • anusbutt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows how to force a custom resolution; specifically, i want 640 x 400. I'm happy to delve into hex land, but I'll speculate that it would be a waste of time; i'm thinking the game auto-populates the resolution list rather than hard codes them into an exe.

(Long story - I'm trying to play in widescreen with proper FOV on an old-as-heck laptop (intel 965 integrated graphics) that only gets an acceptable framerate at low resolutions. the mods I've found to adjust FOV either crash the game, or automatically calculate the aspect ratio, which means that using low resolutions (eg 640 x 480) results in a 4:3 aspect ratio.)

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

Winter Wrap Up!

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

AFAIK, 640x480 is the lowest physical resolution the III engine supports. Anything lower will IMO simply crash or not load the game at all.

anusbutt
  • anusbutt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

thanks for the reply man. i know there's a program for san andreas that allows resolutions below 640 x 480, so i'm thinking it's somehow possible, but it sounds like there's no easy way to do it.

(fyi here's that program: http://www.gta-moddi...t=view&id=1017)

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

Be a trend setter, man. Build it yourself.

lolleroz
  • lolleroz

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

You could try hex editing gta_vc.set in C:\Documents and Settings\admin\My documents\GTA Vice City User Files, although I have a feeling the game would just not run.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

You know you can go to the Compatibility mode section-just right click on the VC.exe file and select "properties" then under the Compatibility tab you will see an option for that resolution, select that and hit Apply and OK to exit...

IF you want widescreen mode, there is an option in the in-game settings to turn Widescreen ON/OFF-it is usually OFF by default, so just turn it ON...

intel 965 integrated graphics

IF you can only play at Low settings with acceptable fps, you must have a low end processor, as I have a XP Pro SP3 laptop with an Intel Centrino(Core2Duo) processor, 2GB DDR2 ram, and an Intel 965 Video card and can run this game maxed out at the standard 30fps with the Frame Limiter ON and at 40+fps with the Frame Limiter OFF...this is at 1600X900X32 resolution, as seen here... So, What is your processor? and Processor Speed? What is your OS? Do you have the latest SP for the OS?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users