» «
Photo

Ubisoft and open world games

54 replies to this topic
cousinletsgobowling
  • cousinletsgobowling

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:24 AM Edited by cousinletsgobowling, 31 July 2013 - 03:37 AM.

I must say, I've been very impressed with Ubisoft with their development of open world games. Especially with what they have shown at E3 this year.

Of course they have a good track record with games like Far Cry 3 and the Assassins Creed series (although that franchise seems to have been totally milked out.)

I mean if they took out the whole Assassin thing from AC4 and just made it an open world pirate game I would have liked it even more.

Anyway now with games like The Crew, Watch Dogs and now the The Division I feel its only matter of time before they match the likes of Rockstar, who I think are still number one in this dept, just.

What Ubisoft developers have yet to tackle are true sandbox experiences where you are given complete freedom and a zillion things to do without even having to do the first mission.

So if I was to rank open world developers as it stands I would probably put Bethesa (Elder Scrolls, Fallout ) and Rockstar in equal standing followed very closely by Ubisoft. The great thing for Ubisoft now is they have huge development teams and with the ease of development on the new consoles I so look forward to what they have up their sleeve next.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I must admit I said to my friend the other day the way ubisoft is shaping up with upcoming games they are going to own the start of next gen.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

yes they are, especially with the previews of ubisoft's next-gen titles, example: the crew and tom clancy's: the division both of which are open-world titles, they easily dominate the open-world department along with far cry and assassins creed and of course watch dogs.

however it isn't just ubisoft that is focusing more on open world as the next gen approaches, mirror's edge has been confirmed as open-world too.

after ubisoft I'd say R* dominate the open-world market mainly due to GTA.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

There attention to detail isn't anywhere near Rokstar's, and I doubt it ever will be.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 14:00)
There attention to detail isn't anywhere near Rokstar's, and I doubt it ever will be.

Actually, i would argue it is equal to or greater than R*'s attention to detail.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Ubisoft have had a good few years, good end to this gen, looks like a good start to next gen, they are doing very well
and you can't consider their open world games to be GTA Clones, which is a plus, originality is always appreciated.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

I'm looking forward to South Park: The Stick Of Truth.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

I wouldn't say R*'s attention to detail is phenomenal. The Division is one of the best looking games i think I've ever seen, and the attention to detail in that was incredible.

Dobleh
  • Dobleh

Operative

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (tms_junk @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 21:36)

I wouldn't say R*'s attention to detail is phenomenal. The Division is one of the best looking games i think I've ever seen, and the attention to detail in that was incredible.

that's because the technology disparity. wait until Rockstar get their hands on next-gen console.

eerik
  • eerik

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 14:14)
I'm looking forward to South Park: The Stick Of Truth.

It's developed by Obsidian, not Ubisoft. They just bought it after THQ's bankruptcy.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

For the love of God, keep Rockstar out of this, without GTA they'd be nothing. That's the truth.
And yeah, Ubisoft are doing really well. I loved all of their open-world games so far, even without the "so-called magic" of gta franchise. Which doesn't really exist, its just in people's heads.

Watch Dogs = My favorite game so far of this gen/next-gen, along with The Division.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 18:57)
For the love of God, keep Rockstar out of this, without GTA they'd be nothing. That's the truth.

That's an opinion.

Maybe your strong opinion but an opinion never the less.

Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, Bully Scholarship Edition - I could easily point to any one of those and see that Rockstar Games isn't a one trick pony when it comes to applying detail, functionality and depth to an open world game. That said, others are catching up and moving forward with the next gen tech so obviously that's something they have to consider when moving forward. The one thing none of these next gen open world games are going to be able to do is capture the flavor, humor and style of a Grand Theft Auto game. That's fully organic, done in house and can only be imitated, never duplicated or surpassed. Many have tried, many have failed.

At the end of the day that all comes down to preference, if their particular recipe isn't your thing well perhaps you should be looking elsewhere for support on your views.

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 14:14)

That's an opinion.

Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, Bully Scholarship Edition - I could easily point to any one of those and see that Rockstar Games isn't a one trick pony when it comes to applying detail, functionality and depth to an open world game.

He is right though. If GTA wasn't a runaway success, none of those games would have been created. And even when you include sales and compare them to GTA, none of them match up.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (The General @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 14:58)
QUOTE (meta187 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 14:14)

That's an opinion.

Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, Bully Scholarship Edition - I could easily point to any one of those and see that Rockstar Games isn't a one trick pony when it comes to applying detail, functionality and depth to an open world game.

He is right though. If GTA wasn't a runaway success, none of those games would have been created. And even when you include sales and compare them to GTA, none of them match up.

This.

GTA is R*'s bread and butter .. without GTA, would almost bankrupt Rockstar.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:40 PM Edited by Ferocious Banger, 16 June 2013 - 08:43 PM.

QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 19:30)

Looks like someone hasn't analyzed the attention to detail in Watch Dogs, for example.

@Happyness
While it's true that GTA gave them their big breakthrough, they've actually capitalized on it and have provided a variety of games that, as meta said, proven that they aren't an one- trick pony.

The "magic " part refers mostly to the artistic touches and a unique style that can only be, by others, imitated and never recreated.

@OP- Agreed. So far, similar to how Sony has won the war, Ubisoft have gone ahead of others in next generation department so much so that it isn't even funny.

And yeah, I can't wait to see what Rockstar have up their sleeves for the next generation.

They need to hurry up, for their crown is in imminent danger!

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

It's one thing to acquiesce and say, "Grand Theft Auto is the flagship title for Rockstar Games". That's as fair as saying, "Fable is the flagship title of Lionhead Studios" or "HALO was the flagship title for Bungie Games".

It's another thing entirely to say a studio would be nothing outside of that when they've proven themselves successful in other ventures.

QUOTE (Wiki)
Upon its release, Red Dead Redemption was met with universal critical acclaim, averaging approximately 95/100, 94% and 9.3/10 on review aggregate websites Metacritic, GameRankings, and GameStats, respectively, making it one of the highest-rated video games of all time. It won several Game of the Year awards. Reviewers praised the visuals, music, voice acting, open world gameplay and the story. As of February 2012, the Red Dead franchise has sold over 13 million copies. IGN also praised the game highly, ranking it third on their list of best games of this generation.

While some projects sale better than others The King's robes are consistently present and accounted for in whatever they've endeavored to do thus far.

On topic Ubisoft and Bethesda would perhaps be a close 2nd for me on companies making compelling open world games at the moment to be sure.

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

and without Turbo Esprit, GTA would be nothing

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

If Ubisoft let you have complete freedom in their games like Rockstar does then I would enjoy their open world games more. For example Far Cry 3 you couldn't kill the natives. The game said it was lawless but I can't kill no of the natives? While In Red Dead Redemption you can be the good guy and still choose to kill. I have a feeling Watch Dog will be the same which I will be disappointed if its true.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 13:20)
If Ubisoft let you have complete freedom in their games like Rockstar does then I would enjoy their open world games more. For example Far Cry 3 you couldn't kill the natives. The game said it was lawless but I can't kill no of the natives? While In Red Dead Redemption you can be the good guy and still choose to kill. I have a feeling Watch Dog will be the same which I will be disappointed if its true.

Watch_Dogs has a Red Dead-esque honour meter.

You can either be a good guy or a bad guy. Be whatever you are, the world will react to you accordingly.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

And yeah, Ubisoft are doing really well. I loved all of their open-world games so far, even without the "so-called magic" of gta franchise. Which doesn't really exist, its just in people's heads.

RDR? dozingoff.gif

As for the magic, just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. Think of that "magic" as an umbrella term that merely abbreviates the sweeping variety of things R* does right with GTA, Red Dead, and even their less popular IPs. Their ridiculous attention to detail, dialog, voice acting, variety, music selection, etc., have yet to be surpassed as a whole by any Ubisoft open world game imho.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (The General @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 14:58)

The Driver series [which is now owned by Ubisoft] was two games and a full generation ahead of of GTA ever going 3D. Not to mention other open world games that had come before also. GTA did not start everything 3d/open-world, they were followers until they stepped up their game and released GTA III.

R* didn't start the trend, but they have helped push the envelope. These new games would have been created regardless of GTA existing. Would they be a little different? Maybe, but they would exist.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:12 AM Edited by Happyness, 17 June 2013 - 08:27 AM.

QUOTE (meta187 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 23:49)
It's one thing to acquiesce and say, "Grand Theft Auto is the flagship title for Rockstar Games". That's as fair as saying, "Fable is the flagship title of Lionhead Studios" or "HALO was the flagship title for Bungie Games".

It's another thing entirely to say a studio would be nothing outside of that when they've proven themselves successful in other ventures. 

QUOTE (Wiki)
Upon its release, Red Dead Redemption was met with universal critical acclaim, averaging approximately 95/100, 94% and 9.3/10 on review aggregate websites Metacritic, GameRankings, and GameStats, respectively, making it one of the highest-rated video games of all time. It won several Game of the Year awards. Reviewers praised the visuals, music, voice acting, open world gameplay and the story. As of February 2012, the Red Dead franchise has sold over 13 million copies. IGN also praised the game highly, ranking it third on their list of best games of this generation.

While some projects sale better than others The King's robes are consistently present and accounted for in whatever they've endeavored to do thus far.

On topic Ubisoft and Bethesda would perhaps be a close 2nd for me on companies making compelling open world games at the moment to be sure.

Achieving a high score doesn't mean that it automatically makes it to the top, compare the sales, GTA is the main money-maker for Rockstar, without GTA they wouldn't be where they are. To be honest, I started to develop a sort of hatred for Rockstar since they have Day-1 DLC bullsh*t, didn't expect it from them, oh and, due to the fanboys that consider Rockstar is top-dog and GTA is the best game evurrr... It's not.

It may be my opinion, but many agree with it.
QUOTE (Wikipedia)
As of February 2012, the Red Dead franchise (including Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption, and Undead Nightmare) has sold over 13 million units worldwide.[78]

13 Million from the three games? Meh.
Grand Theft Auto franchise has 105.75 million, like.. Wow.

The whole Midnight Club franchise has 19.08 million, all platforms released, those are not just XBOX/PS3. Also according to vgchartz.
Bully sold 2.43 million, according to vgchartz.
The Manhunt franchise sold 2.85 million, also according to vgchartz.

All in all, all these games are known BECAUSE of Grand Theft Auto. (I am not talking in the name of all people with my following statement), but people know the other games because they searched for other Rockstar games, otherwise their sales are poor.

So, Rockstar without GTA is nothing.

@Dick Valor Anyone can do voice acting, I've seen better games and whatnot.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 07:55)
QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 13:20)

Watch_Dogs has a Red Dead-esque honour meter.

You can either be a good guy or a bad guy. Be whatever you are, the world will react to you accordingly.

The whole moral character meter was out long before Red Dead.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 08:12)

The Red Dead franchise has two games released on two (one of which wasn't widely marked nor was it open world) and one add-on. GTA has ten plus games on a variety of platforms and two add-on's. They don't compare.

Edit: Double post, sorry. Merge the two posts if you wish.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Nipperkins @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 11:21)

The Red Dead franchise has two games released on two (one of which wasn't widely marked nor was it open world) and one add-on. GTA has ten plus games on a variety of platforms and two add-on's. They don't compare.

They do compare. Everyone claims Rockstar is the top-notch company, well. There, GTA is the only known game from them.

A lot of people haven't heard of their games, I haven't heard about a lot until coming to these forums and sh*t.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:38 AM Edited by Nipperkins, 17 June 2013 - 08:48 AM.

QUOTE (Happyness @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 08:27)
QUOTE (Nipperkins @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 11:21)

They do compare. Everyone claims Rockstar is the top-notch company, well. There, GTA is the only known game from them.

A lot of people haven't heard of their games, I haven't heard about a lot until coming to these forums and sh*t.

It's there flagship successful series. Doesn't mean they would be "nothing" without it. If Rockstar never released GTA III, but instead came out with Bully, Red Dead Redemption, and LA Noire, they would be just as successful and would be one of the best known gaming companies. They could have released a first person shooter series or a RPG one; you would still know theirname.

Rockstar would still be something without GTA. GTA would be nothing without Rockstar.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

How can you be so sure that if they never released GTA III they'd be something? Because they're Rockstar? Look at their other franchises, it's almost nothing comparable to other franchises.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 08:49)
How can you be so sure that if they never released GTA III they'd be something? Because they're Rockstar? Look at their other franchises, it's almost nothing comparable to other franchises.

All the games they have released have been successful. Admittedly GTA has been the most successful, but it's also fifteen years old. Besides World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, and Mario, it's probably been the most widely talked about and market game ever. Rockstar could have easily done the same with an RPG or shooter, but instead you get an open world crime game. Red Dead Redemption rivals the sales GTA has, while never being released on PC. I'd say they could have found some earlu success with that.

To give you an example, most people I've discussed this with agree with me that Vanilla Coke is better than regular Coke. Most people don't even know what Vanilla Coke is because they've never seen it but once or twice, and certainly they've never seen it advertised. I don't have a doubt in my mind that the Coca-Cola company isn't successful, mostly due to the original Coke flavor. However, if Vanilla Coke was the Original Coca-Cola product, they still would be "something". Much like Rockstar would have found success without GTA.

Happyness
  • Happyness

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

I beg to differ with the example you posted, one thing is a beverage and another is a game. If Rockstar is so "successful" even without GTA, WHY haven't their other franchises even reached at least 30% (?) of GTA's sales? You claim that Rockstar could make any game aside from GTA. Well. I don't see it done, I only see GTA as their only popular franchise, whilst sure Red Dead Redemption is successful, but not as known as GTA, I asked a lot of people about other Rockstar games, they only know about GTA.

Each has their opinion, I respect yours, but my opinion is different. Rockstar would be nothing without GTA.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (Happyness @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 15:02)
I beg to differ with the example you posted, one thing is a beverage and another is a game. If Rockstar is so "successful" even without GTA, WHY haven't their other franchises even reached at least 30% (?) of GTA's sales? You claim that Rockstar could make any game aside from GTA. Well. I don't see it done, I only see GTA as their only popular franchise, whilst sure Red Dead Redemption is successful, but not as known as GTA, I asked a lot of people about other Rockstar games, they only know about GTA.

Each has their opinion, I respect yours, but my opinion is different. Rockstar would be nothing without GTA.

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, the AC series, even though younger to their other open-world series, Far Cry, has sold 7-8 times more than the latter.

Certain series' click with the mainstream masses; others don't. But that doesn't, by any means automatically make the franchise with inferior sales, inferior in quality.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users