Quantcast

» «
Photo

Have you ever played a game that was too long?

98 replies to this topic
im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Thug

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:29 AM Edited by im_stoned, 24 June 2013 - 11:34 AM.

far cry 3. I still haven't finished it. I spent way to much time doing all the side missions and their so repetitive. I was burnt out and I haven't even finished them all. I have like 10 missions to go as well. I will finish it. I'm just going to wait until I'm really in the mood and feeling it again before I finish it.

It's a great game theirs just too many side missions. It's the way the map unlocks I hate leaving an area without completing everything. I would rate the game about a seven out of ten. I haven't seen the ending yet but it would have to be really awful to change my rating it's such a fun game..... just to long.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:48 AM Edited by jamieleng, 24 June 2013 - 11:55 AM.

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 12:35)
To be honest, Red Dead Redemption started dragging along slowly in the Mexico section of the game.

Blasphemy! No but seriously. As superb as each element was in that game, the fact that it doesn't have all the toys of a GTA game, meant that mission variety was always going to be limited. Still my favourite Rockstar game ever & therefore, my favourite game ever. Hopefully GTA V will remedy the repetitive missions due to it being as long as RDR but with 3 protagonists, variety of terrain & countless toys to play with.

far cry 3. I still haven't finished it. I spent way to much time doing all the side missions and their so repetitive. I was burnt out and I haven't even finished them all. I have like 10 missions to go as well. I will finish it. I'm just going to wait until I'm really in the mood and feeling it again before I finish it.

It's a great game theirs just too many side missions. It's the way the map unlocks I hate leaving an area without completing everything. I would rate the game about a seven out of ten. I haven't seen the ending yet but it would have to be really awful to change my rating it's such a fun game..... just to long.

I'm the same. I had to collect every relic, letter & loot box, then complete all the side quests, before I could tackle the final few missions. I'm definitely obsessive compulsive.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Yes, many times! Sometimes when a game is too long or too dragged out I just don't complete it.

To this day I haven't completed (and to name a few) LA Noire, Dragon's Dogma, Red Dead Redemption, The Witcher, Dead Island, Fable III, HAWX 2, Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed, AC: Revelations, Assassin's Creed III, every single Uncharted, God of War III, Infamous 2, TES IV: Oblivion, Borderlands 1 & 2, Mercenaries 2, Dead Rising 2 and so many other games I can list for hours  :lol:

The reason being is either I spend too much time messing about and get bored, or the game is too long to keep my interest.

Other times if it's just a bad game then I'll not complete it at all. 

At some point I aim to go back and complete some of the games I listed. 

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

LA Noire dragged on longer than it should during the Homicide case.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

People always say that L.A Noire went on too long but I remember completing it fairly quickly.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

I stopped playing LA Noire right after completing the first Arson case.

This was on PS3. I can't pick up where I left off because my PS3 got the YLOD. 

I also have the complete edition on PC, so maybe I'll complete it there one of these days.

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

Any of the Final Fantasy games....especially FF3 on Super Nintendo...

great games and lots of nostalgia but holy jesus are those games long!!

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Commandos series and Robin Hood - The Legend of Sherwood easily fit perfectly for this category, not only they have immense replay value but also absolutely time consuming to complete them in the first run through.
If I remember correctly, back when I first had the opportunity to play these, it took around a month to complete each game, but very fun experience too, even after such a long time, I still love to return and spend some time to play them.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

Fallout: New Vegas, couldn't bring myself to finish it because it got rather dull (the main story quest) and it was a lot of useless traveling.

Other than that The Sims :p

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

People always say that L.A Noire went on too long but I remember completing it fairly quickly.

Ditto.. to be honest, I wish it was longer.

Some games that lasted too long for my taste.. Far Cry 3, I stopped playing for some time then finally mustered the energy to play it again and finish it.

AC: Black Flag .. sure, AC is a fav franchise of mine but god damn man.. all that sailing around the sea was f*cking annoying. I got to the point that I said f*ck achievements, looting and scavenging. I just went for each story mission to hurry and finish the game.

Mass Effect .. yeah, too long for my tastes.. first few missions are fun then it's like 'eh, f*ck this game.'

Though I don't think it's that games are lasting too long but more that games are becoming more boring. If you look back at games, if you're somewhat older, you'll notice that games nowadays (not all) but most are highly repetitive. Sure there are different missions in most campaigns but games such as CoD, Battlefield, etc and I'm not talking just FPS, RPG's and open world can be repetitive.. go here, survive this wave, find this for a person in town, blah blah, then go to next story mission, same f*cking thing, just a different route or different object to get. Idk.. sure graphics are getting better these days but in terms of campaigns and stories, not so much.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Ditto.. to be honest, I wish it was longer.

AC: Black Flag .. sure, AC is a fav franchise of mine but god damn man.. all that sailing around the sea was f*cking annoying. I got to the point that I said f*ck achievements, looting and scavenging. I just went for each story mission to hurry and finish the game.

I really liked the sailing around part as it extended the game and it made you explore the world. Plus if you didn't want to do it from time to time you could always fast travel.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

I think GTA IV is the longest game I've played, as I've never been interested in RPGs of any kind.

I like IV, but I would have cut out the Playboy X missions and well over half of the 'enemy flees in a car/on a motorcycle-chase him down!' missions.

The game that truly felt never ending to me is Heavy Rain. The game itself isn't that long (8 hours or so), but the dull, mindnumblingly boring gameplay made it seem to go on forever. To date, its the only game that's made me think, "Oh god, when will it end?!"

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

To be honest I recall two games that were a bit too long for my liking, not strictly because of their length, but simply because of repetitiveness and boredom. 

One of the games is FC2. It had great story set in wonderfully created world, but the missions we were getting were so repetitive that game quickly became a drag. And what was even worse there were two parts of the country, in which there were almost the same missions (based on the same mechanics: go there, kill all guys, grab something and bring it back). I managed to finish it, but because of that it was one time game for me. It's sad that good story was killed in such way. 

Second game was UC2, as it was looking beautifully, but the mechanics were back in the '90s. Just go ahead and kill the guys with occasional puzzle. By the time I get to the Shangri-La (I think that was the name of the place) I was tired of doing the same things over and over. Just like the FC2 I finished it, but I doubt I would even reply it (it belonged to my friend).

Much often I am finding the games that are too short, but I guess it's signum temporis. 

tuareg
  • tuareg

that aaaaain't workin, that's the way you do it

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

Peace walker. I'm not a fan of grinding and PW took it to a whole new level.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Persona 4 Golden is just about too long, it's around 80 hours through the first play-through and about 60 hour  on "new game +" mode. However, this is still my favourite game of all time due to the absolutely amazing gameplay, it's almost impossible to describe.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

The creature who could do this doesn't have a soul

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

I remember an ape escape game on ps1 that never seemed to end. You'd fight the main villain but the story would continue. Then you'd fight him again and again and it still continued. I never finished that game.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

I'm going to add Dante's Inferno to my list, but I think I'll replay it since it's actually pretty fun

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

Persona 4 Golden is just about too long, it's around 80 hours through the first play-through and about 60 hour  on "new game +" mode. However, this is still my favourite game of all time due to the absolutely amazing gameplay, it's almost impossible to describe.

It's a turn-based RPG, with lots of grinding, lmao of course it's going to be extremely long.

• MacAshford likes this

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

I remember an ape escape game on ps1 that never seemed to end. You'd fight the main villain but the story would continue. Then you'd fight him again and again and it still continued. I never finished that game.

That game took me like 2 years to finish because I couldn't find the final boss.

And that final boss was just the first final boss. When I finally found it, there was another one.

• Dbns_Finest likes this

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

Happy wars.... who knew such cute things could bring such rage (final boss)

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

Also, Baldurs Gate series, Deus Ex - The Conspiracy, TOEE, VTMBloodlines.
Can easily take quite a long time to complete.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:39 AM

Yes, many times! Sometimes when a game is too long or too dragged out I just don't complete it.

To this day I haven't completed (and to name a few) LA Noire, Dragon's Dogma, Red Dead Redemption, The Witcher, Dead Island, Fable III, HAWX 2, Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed, AC: Revelations, Assassin's Creed III, every single Uncharted, God of War III, Infamous 2, TES IV: Oblivion, Borderlands 1 & 2, Mercenaries 2, Dead Rising 2 and so many other games I can list for hours  :lol:

The reason being is either I spend too much time messing about and get bored, or the game is too long to keep my interest.

Was there a reason to bump up a year old topic? 

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Was there a reason to bump up a year old topic? 

Was there a reason to quote him and not contribute to the topic? At least he did, so stop trying to be a douche.

There's plenty of games that I never finished because another game caught my interest, more than the game being too long itself but I usually tend to go back to them after awhile. So no, I haven't found a game myself that was too long.

Loc14
  • Loc14

King of Los Santos

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hmm... Skyrim i guess, i got to 200 hours without beating the main story.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:12 PM Edited by Fireman, 09 June 2014 - 12:12 PM.

Also, Baldurs Gate series, Deus Ex - The Conspiracy, TOEE, VTMBloodlines.
Can easily take quite a long time to complete.

Aha, but that doesn't mean too long.

I'd happily spend 300+ hours on playing Baldur's Gate, because it's the best game ever.

It becomes "too long" when you don't want to continue anymore, most games you've finished by now probably weren't too long. I never finished Fallout: New Vegas, RDR or Skyrim despite having put a lot of hours into it, simply because the quests and the storyline got so dull I couldn't be arsed continueing, that's what "too long" means for me.

gta_aus
  • gta_aus

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

The creature who could do this doesn't have a soul

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4.

Wot m8. Lol the cutscenes were longer than the actual gameplay...

gta_aus
  • gta_aus

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4.

Wot m8. Lol the cutscenes were longer than the actual gameplay...
Exactly, and considering you can't skip them, it makes it a stupidly long game.

FRAIZER
  • FRAIZER

Made in the '80s

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

I used to be an achievement whore with some games. I would play and play past the point of being sick of the game to get all of the achievements, even the stupid ones. The ones that had you collecting so many parts or trinkets were the worst to make a game feel too long.

The reason I used to be, is because my experience was ruined on some games, for example: in GTA IV, I had ONE pigeon left to find and searched for hours and hours before giving in and looking at the game guide... Only I didn't remember which ones I had got so I had to go to every location in the guide... and still overlooked it somehow. I never did get that last pigeon. Sad day. That was my breaking point though, I said no more of this looking for collectibles bullsh*t.

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

It becomes "too long" when you don't want to continue anymore, most games you've finished by now probably weren't too long. I never finished Fallout: New Vegas, RDR or Skyrim despite having put a lot of hours into it, simply because the quests and the storyline got so dull I couldn't be arsed continueing, that's what "too long" means for me.

Oh. Okay. My mistake to assume it for the lengthy gameplay over the games running longer.

Thanks for the correction... and you're right again, the games I've listed so far, I believe it does take long to play them but not one that stretches too long, and to name one such game, even I think it's the Elder Scroll Series!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users