Quantcast

» «
Photo

Have you ever played a game that was too long?

98 replies to this topic
Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Infrequent poster....

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (NathanT @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 00:00)
Forza 2 & 3...  sarcasm.gif

I used to play Forza 3 all the time on my little brothers' X360 and...

Oh, just noticed the sarcasm.gif . Sorry, half-asleep here...

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

1st assassins creed, maybe I think that because it was just too repetitive
Generally I love games that take 100+ hours as long as it is not repetitive
but I would say football manager is "too long" cos you can have a career of 30 seasons
who the f*ck gets that far in, I have done 9 and clocked 500 hours
so at this rate I will have 1667 hours by the end, if I ever get there, and since this is a yearly game, if you get this game yearly (I don't) then 1667 hrs a year is like 19% of the total year (non-leap year year). Only thing that should take up that amount of time is masterbating sleeping (as a minimum) well and actual work tounge.gif

But I doubt anybody goes for a full 30 season career in 1 year, but thats kinda my point on why it is ''too long''
regardless of this I love the game and its length tounge2.gif

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:53 AM Edited by rotipuj, 17 June 2013 - 01:12 AM.

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 00:08)
QUOTE (rotipuj @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 23:58)
QUOTE (redx165 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 22:56)
QUOTE (rotipuj @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 12:13)
QUOTE (Futurama_Freak1 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 11:21)
QUOTE (Zancudo @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 20:46)

For me, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune could be better if it was about 1/3 shorter.

How about you?

Are you f*cking joking? That game was too short.

It was overrated as f*ck.

Overrated?? GTA IV was overrated. Uncharted was the first one. Uncharted 2 was the best one. Uncharted 3 was overrated. Uncharted 3 wasn't as good as 2 cause half the team worked on that while the other half worked on The Last of Us.

I haven't played UC3. But there is no way UC2 deserves such a high Metacritic score. The games might be good technically, but the story is cliche, the shooting isn't good, the puzzles are so easy even a child can solve them and the platforming is extremely linear. I thought that it would have some exploration similar to the old Tomb Raider games or even PoP series, but sadly I was disappointed. I have to say though, their Crash Bandicoot games were f*cking awesome.

How is the story cliche? There were no obvious remarks in the game so please, explain. And how is the shooting bad? Considering this is a linear game and it was hard for them to use good physics, they were focused on graphics and gameplay/story.

The whole good guy takes out an entire army of pirates with a girl just didn't click with me. Save the world and take down the bad guy. UC2's story was better, though it was pretty much the same thing, a power hungry man determined to get the power etc etc.. And the shooting totally sucked. Shoot someone 4 times with an AK47 and they're stil alive.

I don't hate the games, I just don't get why they get so many GOTY awards. And people calling it the best PS3 exclusive, are you kidding me? Have you even played other PS3 exclusives? GoW, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous, Heavy Rain and Demon's Souls etc. If Uncharted was the best PS3 exclusive then the PS3 wouldn't have a half-decent line-up of exclusives.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

Gran Turismo 3. I'll have had it for 10 years come Christmas and I'm still only at about 78% completion.

For me, Bully started dragging near the end but I didn't mind when I got to the final boss.

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (The Milkman @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 20:09)
QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 01:53)
The Saboteur. Very long - still haven't beat it after a few years.

You mean the main story line or the "side activities"?
Haven't done them all either... way too many things to destroy, but the ending of the story is pretty cool.

I was referring to the main story. I was playing the story at a steady pace for a month, then I just stopped playing for a few years. I was really far, though - I know that much. One of these days I hope to go back and finish the campaign.

Speaking of The Saboteur, that game has one of the most terrifying platinum trophies I've ever seen. Destroying thousands of objects... Yeah right! I've only heard of a handful of people who've ever accomplished that.

GetWoody
  • GetWoody

Greedy Jew

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:52 AM

Uncharted 2 and 3. The gameplay in them just isn't varied enough for a 10 hour+ game. I still beat them both, but I definitely had to force myself through a couple bits. Also having this same issue with The Last of Us.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE (rotipuj @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 00:53)
QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 00:08)
QUOTE (rotipuj @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 23:58)
QUOTE (redx165 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 22:56)

How about you?

Overrated?? GTA IV was overrated. Uncharted was the first one. Uncharted 2 was the best one. Uncharted 3 was overrated. Uncharted 3 wasn't as good as 2 cause half the team worked on that while the other half worked on The Last of Us.

I haven't played UC3. But there is no way UC2 deserves such a high Metacritic score. The games might be good technically, but the story is cliche, the shooting isn't good, the puzzles are so easy even a child can solve them and the platforming is extremely linear. I thought that it would have some exploration similar to the old Tomb Raider games or even PoP series, but sadly I was disappointed. I have to say though, their Crash Bandicoot games were f*cking awesome.

How is the story cliche? There were no obvious remarks in the game so please, explain. And how is the shooting bad? Considering this is a linear game and it was hard for them to use good physics, they were focused on graphics and gameplay/story.

The whole good guy takes out an entire army of pirates with a girl just didn't click with me. Save the world and take down the bad guy. UC2's story was better, though it was pretty much the same thing, a power hungry man determined to get the power etc etc.. And the shooting totally sucked. Shoot someone 4 times with an AK47 and they're stil alive.

I don't hate the games, I just don't get why they get so many GOTY awards. And people calling it the best PS3 exclusive, are you kidding me? Have you even played other PS3 exclusives? GoW, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous, Heavy Rain and Demon's Souls etc. If Uncharted was the best PS3 exclusive then the PS3 wouldn't have a half-decent line-up of exclusives.

GoW is too played out. Ratchet and Clank was decent. Infamous was good. Never played Heavy Rain and Demon's Soul so I can't say. Uncharted 2 won tons of GOTY awards cause its a nice long story. Some parts you might of have to force yourself with while others are fun. The Last of Us is a change of pace in how Naughty Dog made it. I really enjoy it. I wish the story was a bit longer. I wonder how the story DLC will handle itself.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 22:55)
Elder Scrolls Oblivion was insanely long to me. I probably had 100+hrs into that game exploring everything. Almost makes the experience horrible to me.. but I value games that last like that, get more worth out of your money.

Only 100? I haven't played Obilivion but I have spent at least 600 on Skyrim and finished just about everything so far (including the dlcs).

Nuggets
  • Nuggets

SenseiKOFF

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:22 AM Edited by Nuggets, 17 June 2013 - 02:27 AM.

AC 3. Seriously, I got bored of it in 2 hours. But sill had to play it trough just for the sake of it.

I almost always get to a point in a game that I think is boring. But AC 3, It was boring the rest of the time I played it.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

IV's story was way too long.. well perfect length if the story/missions would've actually been interesting.. except they weren't a lot of time.

Everytime I try to beat IV I get to around Elizabeta's missions and just get tired of it. Only beaten the entire storyline once.

Same with RDR, lacking variety, extremely drawn out story that makes you sick of hearing after about the tenth mission.. "I used to ride with these guys, we stole stuff- killed people, now I have to kill them."

The open world aspect and online is what kept me playing.. the characters were interesting to meet but the story itself was bland.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:22 AM Edited by badboy_zay, 17 June 2013 - 03:29 AM.

QUOTE (Zancudo @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 21:07)

Uncharted series are indeed very overrated and I'll claim it as a fact, not just an opinion. A simple shooter with a simplified story with no fresh ideas by no means should ever get an average score on Metacritic higher than Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption or Journey, god damn it!

fact? that's bullsh*t, Uncharted games are great. well, except for Uncharted 3, that game was overrated as f*ck

U3 is the one that got many awards, and in that case, yes it is overrated. but I think the previous games are not overrated, U1 & 2 deserve the praise.
but still... I think Uncharted is the best PS exclusive, I guess it's just a matter of taste.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

Final Fantasy games tend to be too long for me. I've only played FFVII, VIII, IX, and X, but the only way I beat any of them was because I played them during summer vacation when I was in school. My interest would've waned dramatically if I had to only play an hour or two a day.
  • Lil ski likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 09:56)

How about you?

I love how you always sink the boot into GTA IV even when what you're quoting has nothing to do with it. tounge.gif

Anyway as for me I can't really remember a game I've played that I've felt was too long. Plenty that were short though.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

Nope. Most games are too short. I'm not really sure how anyone could complain about a game being too long... you can always turn it off and play later when you're not burnt out on it. I think the prevalence of linear third and first person shooters like Uncharted, Bioshock, CoD, etc., has shortened the average gamer's attention span. Who wants to beat a game in one weekend? When you rush through games like IV or RDR, of course they seem to drag. These games are meant to be completed over weeks or even months, not in a few days.

Personally, I prefer when games never seem to end, like GTA, RDR, Oblivion, Skyrim, etc.

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

Morrowind. It wasn't a bad thing though because I like long games in comparison to all these new games that you can usually beat in 5-7 hours or less. Ridiculous. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 04:17)
QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 09:56)

How about you?

I love how you always sink the boot into GTA IV even when what you're quoting has nothing to do with it. tounge.gif

Anyway as for me I can't really remember a game I've played that I've felt was too long. Plenty that were short though.

Well this is a GTA forum and most people are GTA fans. I feel GTA IV is overrated and doesn't deserve the score it got. I'm not saying its bad but it should of had Red Dead Score while Red Dead should of had GTA IV score.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 13:47)
IV's story was way too long.. well perfect length if the story/missions would've actually been interesting.. except they weren't a lot of time.

Everytime I try to beat IV I get to around Elizabeta's missions and just get tired of it. Only beaten the entire storyline once.

It's not the story that bothers me in the GTA games but the other cr*p you need to get 100%. For all the extra cr*p they could put a few more storyline missions in.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

As someone who plays a game 12 hours a day every day.

No game is too long.

I get there are people out there with not a lot of free time on their hands, but really isnt that a plus? You get more content to play with over however long it takes you to complete it.

I don't ever want to look at a game like a movie and want to finish it to know what happens at the end. I view my games as pickup & play f*ckabout sessions, so when a game has zero replayability because all the developers did was make a 6 hour interactive movie, it f*cks me right off.

I really wish there was a classing system within videogames, ones that are grouped as interactive movie experiences, with QTE's and staged cinematic setpieces, and others that are truely a videogame that has hundreds of hours of content and replayability that you can play for years on end and still not get bored of.

I feel like I am just getting cheated out of my money constantly where everything ends up a COD clone and we don't even get a simple set of bots to shoot in multiplayer maps like we used to. The games just die as soon as you finish them and you never play them again. Because who wants to watch the same 6 hour long movie more than once a year?

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Uncharted games have great graphics, but so does the Crysis series. The story isn't great like people say, its pretty cliche. Its nothing special. I didn't get that sense of adventure that I usually get from action adventure games. I know The Last of Us will be good because they actually have good characters and a great narrative (so I've heard).

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 06:26)

No game is too long.

I get there are people out there with not a lot of free time on their hands, but really isnt that a plus? You get more content to play with over however long it takes you to complete it.

I don't ever want to look at a game like a movie and want to finish it to know what happens at the end. I view my games as pickup & play f*ckabout sessions, so when a game has zero replayability because all the developers did was make a 6 hour interactive movie, it f*cks me right off.

I really wish there was a classing system within videogames, ones that are grouped as interactive movie experiences, with QTE's and staged cinematic setpieces, and others that are truely a videogame that has hundreds of hours of content and replayability that you can play for years on end and still not get bored of.

I feel like I am just getting cheated out of my money constantly where everything ends up a COD clone and we don't even get a simple set of bots to shoot in multiplayer maps like we used to. The games just die as soon as you finish them and you never play them again. Because who wants to watch the same 6 hour long movie more than once a year?

I envy your life man... In ways.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (MrSpooge @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 06:29)

No game is too long.

I may not play 12 hours on my work days, but I still have a game on for the entire waking minutes of being at home.

A mark of a good game is one you can choose to finish and no longer play, or keep playing it for over 500 hours on one save. Fallout games are a good example of a perfect game setup.

But even adding something as simple as Co-op MP map bot hunt such as Rainbow Six: Vegas will extend the life of a game dramatically.

With so many scripted linear singleplayer campaigns in most games these days it denies the need to replay them, you get less choice and difference each time you play if they always remove control from the player to show a cutscene or QTE section.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (rotipuj @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 11:53)

Alright here's my argument on why Uncharted isn't particularly overrated.
Starting with people taking four bullets to kill with an AK47 and taking on a whole army of pirates. GTA games take a similar amount to kill someone, if not more with the same weapon, also in GTA you take out hoardes of enemies, actually just about every single shooter involves one person, or a small group killing f*ckloads of enemies, that's not a valid criticism really.
About the Story being Cliche, well Everything is Cliche to a point, I can kinda see where your coming from and I kind of agree, but for me the only part that felt really cliche was the (Warning, spoiler) saving the world ending, they probably could have left that out and just have Nate saving himself and Elena. But I did point out how the game draws many parallels from Indiana Jones and Star Wars, the biggest one being the main character, a wise-cracking lighthearted rogue smartass who women love, then next would be the treacherous adventure full of bad-guys and strange surprises, I thought the twist in Uncharted 1 was great, I didn't see it coming. The dialogue is very realistic and well-voiced, I thought the story came together very well for a video game.

As for the gameplay being Linear, yes, there's no doubt about that, And you have a point about Uncharted two and 3's Puzzles being rather easy, Uncharted one had some good ones though, most games have gotten a lot easier over the years which is a shame, Nevertheless, I do like the gameplay anyway, shoot-outs could be a little more exciting, But I love how the enemy rushes at you, and how you can take them down by stealth as well, and the fighting combos are pretty cool, they remind me a lot of Batman (The game.) Probably the coolest fighting sequence i've ever played through was the start of Either Uncharted two, Or 3, in the bar, that was amazingly fun, and the action sequence across the rooftops as a CHild Nathan Drake was incredible, explosions, enemies, fighting, buildings collapsing, those action sequences were so much fun to play through, they were awesome as heck.
I however would be open to a slightly less linear gameplay, more routes to take going along walls and a few more vantage points for getting into gun battles, but I don't think we'll see any more Uncharted games sadly so they can't work on that, I don't really think Uncharted is Overrated though, I enjoyed the games (And many of my friends did as well when I loaned it to them.) more than any other games in this generation.

The gameplay, it's actually pretty original, how many Action-Adventure shooter based platformers are there? Not many, and most of them are cartoon -like IE; Spyro the dragon, except Uncharted has undeniably good graphics for a console game.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

RDR, GTA IV, Skyrim.

Not saying all these games were long, but they FELT too long, because of lack of good writing/gameplay.

Real-time strategy games are also great games which are always too long!

Knights and Merchants (map takes 5-24 hours, 32 campaign maps)

For these games one map ~18 hours if you know what you're doing:
Hearts of Iron
Rise of Nations
Europa Universalis

Total War Games
Anno games

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

Never had a game be too long for me, But If I HAD to name one, It would probably be BK Nuts and bolts.

Was a fairly long game that took awhile to get all the jigsaw pieces.

EDIT: Skyrim as well, That game was just straight up long as f*ck.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Assassins Creed 3. I got it not long after release and I've yet to finish it. Took far, far too long to get into the story. Then by the time the story had begun to pickup pace, i was bored sh*tless. The game needed to really grab my interest after the snail crawl of a start, which it never did. Connor was boring and i had no interest in seeing his revenge story unfold. One of the most dissapointing games I've played, and it pains me to say it because I'm a huge Assassins Creed fan. I actually bought my original PS3 just for the first Assassins Creed.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:24 PM Edited by Majestic81, 17 June 2013 - 05:16 PM.

San Andreas. dont get me wrong i like that game, but it was too long and some missions were a pain in the ass to complete. which made them seem longer than they really were. and when i played SA i wasnt really a gamer at that time. so i didnt know that GTA games are usually that long.

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Daz @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 06:47)
QUOTE (MrSpooge @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 06:29)

No game is too long.

I may not play 12 hours on my work days, but I still have a game on for the entire waking minutes of being at home.

A mark of a good game is one you can choose to finish and no longer play, or keep playing it for over 500 hours on one save. Fallout games are a good example of a perfect game setup.

But even adding something as simple as Co-op MP map bot hunt such as Rainbow Six: Vegas will extend the life of a game dramatically.

With so many scripted linear singleplayer campaigns in most games these days it denies the need to replay them, you get less choice and difference each time you play if they always remove control from the player to show a cutscene or QTE section.

Do you work with games in some way?.. Also, I've tried to get into Fallout. I had, could you give me a few reasons to maybe get back into it?

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (Daz @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 07:47)

Fully agree icon14.gif Especially about Rainbow Six Vegas.

tomi19
  • tomi19

Playa

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

Assassins' Creed: Brotherhood. I'm not sure if it's really too long but I felt that way. I got tired and never finished it.

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

☛✔Goals Achieved: 1/1☚

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Forza 4.

Never finishing all the races, nah f*ck that sh*t. bored.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users