Have you seen the new mac pro?

20 replies to this topic
OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

Ok so I'm not a big apple fan but I just got shown this http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/ I must admit I love the way they have setup the cooling for the components. Allthough it looks like a toilet brush holder from the outside the internals seem like a stroke of genius. What do you all think of it?

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

oh god it looks so terrible. everyone would mistake it for a dustbin. was never a fan of OSX anyways.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

I had a good laugh after reading you guys posts tounge.gif
Dustbin, toilet brush holder haha, good ones!

Back to the topic. I literally would mistake and one day if I am so pissed off, I might kick that thing
becuase of the dustbin looking.
But, what is it exactly?? What are the specs The design is seriously terrible and ugly.

And yeah, same here, was never a fan of OSX. Most of the programs I use only works on Windows.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:50 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 16 June 2013 - 06:53 PM.

QUOTE (SilverRST @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 18:40)
What are the specs

The system specifications can be seen on the same page but here is a summary of it;

Intel Xeon E5 with up to 12 cores, and up to 40GB/s PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth
Four-channel DDR3-RAM ECC with 1866MHz - 60GB/s memory bandwidth
AMD Fire-Pro workstation-class GPU with up to 6GB VRAM; support for 4k video
PCI-E storage - up to 2.5 times faster than fastest SATA-based SSD; up to 10 times faster than SATA HDD @ 7200RPM
Thunderbolt 2 (up to 20GB/s), USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI 1.4, etc.
802.11 ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
Size of the PC case: 9.9" x 6.6"

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:43 PM Edited by Valenta, 17 June 2013 - 01:47 AM.

^^^It's a beast, but I would never be able to afford it.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (Valenta @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 19:43)
^^^It's a beast, but I would never buy it.

It is indeed a beast but the price must be also a beast and monstrous.

Family would really think it's a toilet brush holder.
I don't really care about the case as long as it has really good airflow but this goes too far.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

"this goes too far"

That's just silly. Why does a PC have to be a big ugly tower that sits on the floor, sucks up dust, and takes up a lot of space? This thing is an incredible design of form and function. While it looks like Dyson air purifier, it's still the goddamned prettiest computer I've seen in ages.

The world is full of cynical jerk who fear change. Don't be one of them.

That said, yeah, this thing is probably going to cost an arm and a leg. Although if you need a computer that can do what it does, you can likely afford it.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:03 PM Edited by SilverRST, 16 June 2013 - 10:49 PM.

QUOTE (Otter @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 21:52)
"this goes too far"

That's just silly. Why does a PC have to be a big ugly tower that sits on the floor, sucks up dust, and takes up a lot of space? This thing is an incredible design of form and function. While it looks like Dyson air purifier, it's still the goddamned prettiest computer I've seen in ages.

The world is full of cynical jerk who fear change. Don't be one of them.

That said, yeah, this thing is probably going to cost an arm and a leg. Although if you need a computer that can do what it does, you can likely afford it.

Take it easy.
I don't have a desktop but a laptop. I'll be building a pc but I don't care about the looks
because I only care what is inside. The parts that's inside.
And the pc will have 5 casefans and it will be placed on the desktop protected with a desktop bag over it.

The world is full of cynical jerks because...? Fear of change?
Don't complain, no one is hurting or insulting you.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

Anyone who has a clue about the technology world knows Apple prefers to take the path less followed. This is just an example of that. That said, I quite like the design of it. I would sooner have that sitting my desk than a box. My only concern is the cooling. Given everything Apple has crammed in there, I'm kinda skeptical about the single fan.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

I will say that the fans they designed for the Mbpr are super efficient and quiet. The last time I fired up my tower, I thought something was wrong, it was so damned loud in comparison.

Silver, you literally said "this goes too far." If you think you can make a statement like that without being criticised or called to task... Well, welcome to the internet. wink.gif

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 14:48)
I will say that the fans they designed for the Mbpr are super efficient and quiet. The last time I fired up my tower, I thought something was wrong, it was so damned loud in comparison.

Silver, you literally said "this goes too far." If you think you can make a statement like that without being criticised or called to task... Well, welcome to the internet. wink.gif

Alright, maybe I should not have said that.
I just can't think of how the motherboard is designed for that dustbin look, and the CPU and GPU.
It also must have really good airflow if it is a beast inside.
The summers are getting too hot.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (SilverRST @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 04:12)

Family would really think it's a toilet brush holder.
I don't really care about the case as long as it has really good airflow but this goes too far.

It would be roughly around $3,000-4,000 if that's the baseline model and specs alone. I actually have a MacBook Pro with a Mercury Pro Extreme 6G SSD and planning to buy a late model Retina display.

Also I wonder what size that PCI-E SSD packs with, 960GB like that from MacSales?

LeVelocar
  • LeVelocar

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Vietnam

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (SilverRST @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 14:58)
QUOTE (Otter @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 14:48)

Alright, maybe I should not have said that.
I just can't think of how the motherboard is designed for that dustbin look, and the CPU and GPU.
It also must have really good airflow if it is a beast inside.
The summers are getting too hot.

It's basically a chimney. Air enters the bottom, goes through a single giant heatsink, leaves out the top.

Probably the best computer ever made from a cooling perspective. It could probably run with the fan switched off until you really flog the thing.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (LeVelocar @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 19:20)
Probably the best computer ever made from a cooling perspective

Well, apart from anything fluid cooled, or cryogenically cooled, or submerged in mineral oil...

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (SilverRST @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 20:12)

As are nearly all Macs these days. Beautifully constructed and finished, but cost an arm and a leg.

LeVelocar
  • LeVelocar

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Vietnam

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 19:14)

Well, apart from anything fluid cooled, or cryogenically cooled, or submerged in mineral oil...

That's the whole point. It doesn't need to be liquid cooled, because it's so good at being air cooled.

It gets the same thing done with less complexity than anything anyone else came up with, so it wins.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (LeVelocar @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 22:04)
QUOTE (sivispacem @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 19:14)

That's the whole point. It doesn't need to be liquid cooled, because it's so good at being air cooled.

It gets the same thing done with less complexity than anything anyone else came up with, so it wins.

I'd argue that in terms of simplicity, placing a running computer in mineral oil and leaving it is probably superior, as it doesn't require any powered cooling at all, but I get your point. It's not a new air cooling design though- there are a number of heat sinks that utilise a similar chimney-type design. But in terms of doing a good job with a really crap cooling medium cursed with an extremely low heat transfer coefficient, it might do well. Might, as we haven't actually seen how it's going to perform under heavy load, like 3D rendering or other working applications. Wouldn't be the first time Apple flaunted a creative-business-centric product with cooling flaws that impede its proper use- the Mac Mini for example..

LeVelocar
  • LeVelocar

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Vietnam

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

I don't think the Mac mini is going for that market at all, to be honest.

And they did show it running under heavy load. Day after they announced it, pixar guys were in the building showing off it's capabilities.

I can tell just looking at it it'll be fine. It's the perfect aircooled setup. It's capital c Correct.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Yeah- if anyone ever bought a mac mini to do serious lifting, they were kidding themselves from the getgo.

I refuse to toss around words like "revolutionary" flippantly, but this style is certain one that other manufacturers may wish to explore. That is, if Apple hasn't already straightlaced the market with patents...

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Remind me again of this new Mac Pro by Apple, does it include a SuperDrive or it it like all current models of Apple desktops and laptops (Retina display line)?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (ExtremeLimitations @ Thursday, Jun 20 2013, 04:47)
Remind me again of this new Mac Pro by Apple, does it include a SuperDrive or it it like all current models of Apple desktops and laptops (Retina display line)?

No optical drive, no magnetic drives.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users