Emotional Attatchment to objects?

52 replies to this topic
Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Attachment to objects? i guess my knife. i loved that thing, used to have it with me since i was a kid. and my cell phone when i was younger, but that faded away. now i just dont care what phone im carrying.

guyzwitgunz
  • guyzwitgunz

Anti-nerd

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I don't have any attachment to inanimate objects since I realised that they don't mean sh*t in life, especially laptops and phones and the like. I wouldn't really care if someone broke something of mine unless it was a precious heirloom or something but I don't own any of those.

Ben73
  • Ben73

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:43 AM Edited by Ben73, 16 June 2013 - 09:45 AM.

Why is everyone attached to Lego? I had some as a kid but it wasn't that great.
I can sort of understand why some people absolutely loved it as a kid though.

Today I only feel attached to inanimate objects if I sell a car prematurely.
My car has recently been damaged twice and uses lots of fuel, insurance companies love my car more than me and I need new brakes and rotors hwich is not cheap. I think I would be better off financially If I sold it, but I can't, I love it. I couldn't be so mean to sell it why it's still a perfectly working car that is great to drive. It feels like it has it's own personality.

As for phones, I would be extremely pissed off if my phone was stolen or damaged, but not because I am emotionally attached to it, but because it would be an enormous inconvenience and pain to get a new phone back to my standards.

Woody510
  • Woody510

salubrious

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 08:28)
QUOTE (NateShaw92 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 14:07)
QUOTE (Woody510 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 03:58)
grandfathers watch.

did he hide it up his ass?

Wat.

Haha I had a feeling someone was going to say that. But whats even funnier is that this dude doesn't get it and thinks you were asking a legitimate question.

Old World
  • Old World

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

Pulp Fiction. Watch it ASAP.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Woody510 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 14:19)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 08:28)
QUOTE (NateShaw92 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 14:07)
QUOTE (Woody510 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 03:58)
grandfathers watch.

did he hide it up his ass?

Wat.

Haha I had a feeling someone was going to say that. But whats even funnier is that this dude doesn't get it and thinks you were asking a legitimate question.

I am in shock that not everyone got it! Thought everyone had seen Pulp Fiction.

On topic, i have an attachment to my wallet, my mum bought me it when i was 14, its just a plain black soft leather wallet. But i have had it 8 years now and its in such good condition. I plan on keeping hold of it for life if i can.

My phone is not really an attachment, its what's on my phone I'm attached too. I have many people on Whatsapp who I've met over the years who aren't on any social networking sites, so if i lost my phone I'd essentially lose them, as I'd have no way of contacting them again. Plus i have many photos that I'd hate to lose. And many that I'd hate someone to see.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

The first car I've ever driven (as a 13 year old) - Škoda Fabia.

It wasn't my dad's property, it was a service car, but he drove it for 7 years, and somehow it really owned my heart. Two years ago (spring 2011) it was stolen. I repeat, it wasn't our car at all, but my dad's firm's, but I felt really sad about it. Now two years have past, and I really, really miss it.
Also, it may sound silly, but there is a person who reminds me of it. sad.gif

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

There're certain things I saved in a shoebox since I was like 8 years old. I'm emotionally attached to everything inside, I'm pretty sure I 'll never throw anything in away. Everything inside may look worthless, but it means a lot to me. And I'm pretty sure a lot 'll be added.

Ryujin.
  • Ryujin.

First blood

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

I guess I'll have to say my PC, and my phone too.
If we're talking about collections, it would be my collection of Tomica and Hot wheels.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

My 3 Model Planes which I got on Holidays to Canada, Airbus A321 Aer Lingus, Boeing 747-400 British Airways and a Boeing 737 Ryanair, also i love my Model Police Ford Crown Victoria

McElroy
  • McElroy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

I bought a Fender Stratocaster 10 years back. I loved to play on and i cherished it like i never cherished anything before.
It cost me a lot of money, but i didn't care. I would just play those soothing tunes all day and forget the world.
Then one when i'm alone with my Stratocaster i ask it (jokingly ofc) "You have done so much for me, what can i do for you?"
Then the most amazing thing happened - it answered "I need about tree-fiddy"
It was about that time that i realized that my Fender Stratocaster was in fact a 500 feet tall crustacean from the paleozoic era. It was the god damn Loch Ness Monster!

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

this tiny cheap acoustic guitar my mom bought in the 70s. It's got paint, burn marks and scratches on it. God I love that thing

Also my coat - It's defined who I have become

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

No, nothing.

..My legs perhaps, haven't used them in years!

Yes, legs.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (jaysteels @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 12:59)
this tiny cheap acoustic guitar my mom bought in the 70s. It's got paint, burn marks and scratches on it. God I love that thing

Also my coat - It's defined who I have become

Guitars are special. There's a connection you make with it. I've only every owned one guitar, but I saw it, and I fell in love with it then and there. It's just a $99 Epiphone Les Paul Junior. It's special to me. It's a tool used to express myself and connect with music that I've enjoyed my whole life, and I just really appreciate that the mechanics of it, the science of why this thing works, guitars are a work of art.

That and I guess my comic book collection. Especially my copy of Wolverine #67. Read about it by clicking my signature.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

I went through a minimalist phase last year, for about a month. In that month I tried to remove as much of my worldly attachments as I could to get in touch with what's really important. (And that wasn't really for me ((But I'd do it again, I think, it was fun)). Google "Leo Babauta" if you want to know more, be warned that he's kind of new-agey though.)

In that time the only thing I had trouble parting with was books. It felt wrong to part with some of them, especially the ones that came from my dad's old bookshelf. Donating helped get rid of some, but I still clung to so many that I never did consider myself a 'true minimalist.'

Also my computer, but it's not an emotional relationship so much as it is an addiction. Being locked up in jail or stranded in a desert with no computer is an awful, awful thought. nervous.gif

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:16 PM Edited by John The Grudge, 21 June 2013 - 01:18 PM.

I don't know if I'd call it an emotional attachment but I am very attached to a chain I wear round my neck. It's not chunky and tacky. It's relatively small in fact. It's just 9KT gold and I've worn it for 14 years now. I bought it when I was 17 for £100 (of my own hard earned) from a jewelers and it still looks like new. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've taken it off in those 14 years.

Laura91
  • Laura91

Portia's #1 Fan

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (gtafreak10 @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 05:26)
My serious reply is a guitar pick my uncle handed me the moment I was born. I held onto it and wouldn't let go. I wouldn't give it up for anything

Also all my music gear

Awww, that's really sweet.

I COULD say certain bits of music gear but that wouldn't be true.

For I, it would be this:

http://i895.photobuc...SizePlushie.jpg

My Portia Porcupine doll. I've wanted one of these since I was a child and I finally got one last month. To say that it was totally awesome would be a vast understatement.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

I guess my scale model cars. I've spent atleast $4000 on them over the years. Out of all of them though there's a 1:24 scale VW Beetle I got in 1994 when I was 8.

My first one. Can't imagine parting with it. Still has the original tag attached too.

Oh and my real car.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Motorcycle, Dog tags and grizzly tobacco. If my bike had an orifice, I'd have sexual relations with it I'm sure.

DrDucky
  • DrDucky

3 days left!

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

A gold bracelet that was given to me by my sister's friend when I turned 1, a stuffed dog from my mom, & this one might sound kinda creepy lol but a pencil that my best & favorite girlfriend left in my pocket.

Fuc-tuo
  • Fuc-tuo

we're bouncing now?

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

a stuffed animal (looks like this http://www.ksmcreati...talog/Trego.jpg, although a bit worse for wear biggrin.gif ) i've had it since i was about a year old, i know i'd feel like crap if it ever got ripped or something

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

?

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

My Metal CD's collection (first editions or old stuff only).

Jaypricemann
  • Jaypricemann

Yeah, I know.

• Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

My phone, my old video camera, a pair of jeans and my dad's dogtags and eagles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users