Delete my account

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic
rsgtafan
  • rsgtafan

Aka SenseiKOFF

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

I want to make a new account with a different username so could a mod please delete this account so I can make a new account with the same e mail address.

And I have a question: why can't we change usernames?

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

Accounts are never deleted. Just change the email address on your current account to something else, so you'll be free to use your real email address on your new account.

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (rsgtafan @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 02:46)
And I have a question: why can't we change usernames?

The reason why name changes aren't done is because, if you'd want to change your name, everyone would. With such a massive community number in terms of members, imagine all the hundreds of requests that would mean. Staff is already extremely busy with dealing with reports all over the forum, and with GTA V approaching, they only have to work more and more around the GTA V section. They also have a life, and having to change names each hour would take a lot of time. Plus, changing your name constantly will confuse other members about your real identity, who you really are. Nobody would know who's who, and it'd be a total mess.

It's said that there will be such an option, however, with only minor changes to the usernames (like capitalizing / de-capitalizing a letter, removing / adding a letter, removing / adding a dot, etc), like it's been done in this topic. Well actually, I'm not sure if they will only allow minor changes or complete ones, but I highly doubt it. This would be supposed to happen when the GTAForums V2 arrives - a brand new version of the forum you're posting on now. Though, nobody knows if it'll really come, or when. However, there were recently discussions about a V1.5 of GTAForums, which is supposed to arrive sooner. I've heard that it'd be a matter of months for that to happen, though nobody really knows for sure. I believe that will give an opportunity to change your name; however, I still believe that there will be allowed only minor changes as in the topic I linked above. icon14.gif

Shou
  • Shou

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:07 AM Edited by shoumic, 16 June 2013 - 08:12 AM.

QUOTE (miromiro @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 10:30)
The reason why name changes aren't done is because, if you'd want to change your name, everyone would. With such a massive community number in terms of members, imagine all the hundreds of requests that would mean...

It really has to do more with the unstable Admin Control Panel. Because of the heavily modified software; constant name changes could put the stability of the software at risk which could potentially cause the forum to crash. I believe this is why name changes aren't done for a long time. Although there have been some rare cases. So when the forum updates to the new software the Admin CP will be at a stable state again. Hence, allowing name changes again as a whole.

QUOTE (miromiro @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 10:30)
I believe that will give an opportunity to change your name; however, I still believe that there will be allowed only minor changes as in the topic I linked above....

I believe I read once that staff will only allow name changes limited to once every year, hence ending the problem with the constant change in identities which you mentioned earlier. I also believe users will be able to change their names from their own Control panel. This means that users wont have to ask an admin which saves staff members time which you were also worried about earlier.

We don't know OP, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:27 AM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 16 June 2013 - 08:29 AM.

I searched a little and that is what I found...

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Sunday, Dec 30 2012, 00:45)
V1.5 will be on new, pre-existing software (not IPB). V2 will be on software built from scratch.

If I had to guess an ETA for V1.5, I'd say Spring 2013, but don't hold me to that.

http://www.gtaforums...entry1062083396

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Friday, Feb 15 2013, 07:27)
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm guessing we will allow name changes limited to once a year, possibly at the user level (meaning without having to ask an admin). Obviously we can't allow users to change their names willy nilly, otherwise a lot of people will just change them every day and it'll be hard to know who is who. [...]

http://www.gtaforums...entry1062229422

QUOTE (Girish @ Wednesday, May 8 2013, 18:12)
[...] Hopefully, if there are no hiccups, the new forums should be live before GTA V releases. Or at least, that's what the plan is. Given how talented our admins are, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it.

http://www.gtaforums...entry1062483228

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:15 AM Edited by ThaBoY, 16 June 2013 - 11:09 AM.

QUOTE (shoumic @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 10:07)
QUOTE (miromiro @  Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 10:30)
The reason why name changes aren't done is because, if you'd want to change your name, everyone would. With such a massive community number in terms of members, imagine all the hundreds of requests that would mean...

It really has to do more with the unstable Admin Control Panel. Because of the heavily modified software; constant name changes could put the stability of the software at risk which could potentially cause the forum to crash. I believe this is why name changes aren't done for a long time. Although there have been some rare cases. So when the forum updates to the new software the Admin CP will be at a stable state again. Hence, allowing name changes again as a whole.

You really believe it's rather some magically broken ACP than miro's explanation that's the real reason behind the name changes? Just listen to yourself man, it sounds ridiculous: "constant name changes could put the stability of the software at risk which could potentially cause the forum to crash". What has a username to do with the stability of a forum? Nothing. Even with this (as they said) badly coded, heavily modified version of IPB, I don't see how a name change could even cause the smallest problem.

When there was something wrong with Waddy's account a few years ago he just made another account, edited the join date and renamed his old account to Waddy. without the forums going down for weeks. Or when they changed everyone's username into a picture of Slamman's avatar around August/September 2011 (I was just a guest back then, but I remember it). But what I don't remember is the board going down because of it.

I mean, you're telling this stuff for months now but it really doesn't make any sense to me.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

shoumic is right though. You're forgetting that we have a network of sites and your GTAF user account is tied to every one of these sites. For example, you use the same GTAF login credentials on GTAGarage and GTAModding. If I'm getting my technical terms correct, it was explained to us by STM that changing the username on GTAF was causing stability issues in the SQL database and subsequently, causing problems across the other network sites. That's why name changes were suspended.

I might not be entirely accurate regarding the technical know-how of the problem, but you get the gist of it.

Nuggets
  • Nuggets

SenseiKOFF

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thank's for the info.

@Girish
Can U put my info from the rsgtafan account to my new one? Like join date and post count?

And feel free to ban ''rsgtafan''

rsgtafan
  • rsgtafan

Aka SenseiKOFF

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

This one.

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sorry, but changing the join date would mess up the Admin Control Panel, and it'd be too much of a trouble to be actually worth. I think changing the post count could be easier, but still not worth enough. Why does this stuff even matter to you? 500 posts can be done in no time with nowadays activity, and the join date is pretty recent. It'd be pointless. Changing the join date was done extremely rare, and only in special cases.

Shou
  • Shou

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Nuggets @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 17:27)
@Girish
Can U put my info from the rsgtafan account to my new one? Like join date and post count?

Information between accounts are not transferred. Waddy was a special case since he's an Administrator here. If you start with a new account you're gonna have to start from the bottom again. rsgtafan could be banned though.

Nuggets
  • Nuggets

SenseiKOFF

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 11:30)
@Girish

Information between accounts are not transferred. Waddy was a special case since he's an Administrator here. If you start with a new account you're gonna have to start from the bottom again. rsgtafan could be banned though.

Understood. I'm aware that it's gonna get banned sooner or later since multiple accounts aren't allowed.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 17:00)
@Girish

Waddy's case wasn't special. It happened before the irregularities in the database were discovered, hence why.

Anyways, the current issue at hand has been sorted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users