Photo

PS3 Fan Noise

7 replies to this topic
VCRules86
  • VCRules86

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi everybody. I bought the last of us last night hoping that my fan wouldn't go into jet engine mode during gameplay but alas I wasn't so lucky. I have a fat model I bought refurbished from GameStop in August 2011.

I've read a lot of threads on the Internet from many different years and have found a whole number of possible causes and solutions for the problem.

Dust
Thermal paste
Impending YLOD doom

My PS3 has some dust bits clogging up the vents on the side and a bit on the bottom and I ran a piece of printer paper into the rear and it came out a bit dusty. It doesn't feel all that hot when the fan takes off but my PS3 sits in an area that I've noticed collects a decent amount of dust and other residue. So I'm wondering if I have a case of just needing to open it up and dust the hell out of it or do I have a more serious issue?

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

The only cause for fans blowing hard is heat, if the PS3 starts heating up very quickly, the fans will blow very hard, so if your PS3 doesn't feel all that hot, it's because the fans are flat out, also be aware if you let it get too hot that can cause YLOD, YLOD happens when soldering gets wrecked from the PS3 getting too hot and cooling off over and over, and eventually it cracks.

Now the main cause for this is Dust if it's never happened before that is, otherwise it's environmental factors like room temperature, but that isn't the case since yours only just started doing it.

What I would do is get a good vacuum cleaner, unplug your PS3 and all that, and place the vacuum on the vents, do this all around your PS3, it'll clear most of the dust, try your PS3 a bit after that and see what happens in terms of fan noise. Otherwise you can vacuum the vents, then open it up (Completely turned off and unplugged) and either buy a can of compressed air and blow out the dust with that, or pick it out with your hands/vacuum from a distance, don't touch the components with the actual vacuum because you could transfer static, unlikely but better safe than sorry.

Also a good tip is to regularly vacuum the vents, and also the PS3 CPU is on the center of the PS3 on the bottom of the console, this is where most of the heat is, so I like to stack 2 game cases either side of the PS3 so air can flow underneath the PS3 to help keep the CPU cool rather than compounding the heat between your desk/entertainment unit and your PS3, keeping the PS3 cool will help prevent YLOD and it will keep fan noise DOWN which is what you wanted all along right?

VCRules86
  • VCRules86

Playa

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

Thanks a lot for the response. I think it's just a matter of me not cleaning it after a couple years of ownership as it just started acting out last August and it only really gives me issues on more graphically intense games like Last of Us and MLB the show. I'll vacuum the vents and then crack it open and go to work on it when I get the chance.

VCRules86
  • VCRules86

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

Okay, so my old fatty fried last night and now I have a brand new PS3 Super slim. I just wanna post my maintenance plan here and get some input on if it is sufficient.

- at the end of each week, I'll wipe down the outer shell with a cloth to get rid of external dust and I'll hold a dust buster to the vents in order to take care of any dust that's gotten inside the console.

-I'll unplug the PS3 and put it in the same cardboard supports and plastic paper it was wrapped in when I got it. I'll put it in the inner box along with all of the components in their respective plastic shipping bags and ties.

- the inner box will be put inside the larger outer one and closed and then I'll put the whole box into the giant Walmart bag I brought the system home in.

My personal maintenance policy has become "2 steps further than excessive" so if this is more than necessary, I'll be happy. But is this enough work on my part to keep my super slim functioning as well as it can?

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

If yours died...Mine might not be far off either, mine has been kinda doing the same thing as yours.

But sure, that'll work, you should vacuum the vents often as well.

VCRules86
  • VCRules86

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

Thanks for the input and it maybe yours just needs a good cleaning. Just because I had bad luck doesn't mean you're doomed to the same fate.

Dr Bannington
  • Dr Bannington

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Definitely try to clean the dust out. I have 2 cats and a pug so every now and then I have to vaccuum all the fur out that gets sucked in. My fan is usually pretty quiet after that

VCRules86
  • VCRules86

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Gonna bump this with a quick question to avoid another thread. Just have a seemingly minor issue that I'd like to clear up. I've had the new super slim hard freeze on me a bit where my only recourse was to pull the power cord. I recall it happening 4 times since I got the console- 3 times on MLB 13 The Show and once on the Last of Us.

I heard the Show had well known issues with hard freezing and TLOU freeze occurred after I hit X on the main menu to download the making of documentary. The loading screen taking me to the download froze and it wouldn't let me power down. Now apparently updates/downloads have given some people freezing issues recently so I'm just wondering if my PS3 is just another among the many having difficulties or if I have a problem with the console.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users