[3DSMAX|REL] OpenIV openFormats I/O

132 replies to this topic
Limiter
  • Limiter

GTA Modder

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (acc.amir @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 04:06)
When I'm working with this script, my 3ds max will crash every time.anyone can help?
I've tested on 3ds max 2009 and 2012.

Wow, serious? I haven't found time to install this yet. But if it doesn't work on Max 2009 then I will be cryani.gif

Alexander Blade
  • Alexander Blade

Come As You Are

• Members

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (acc.amir @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 04:06)
When I'm working with this script, my 3ds max will crash every time.anyone can help?
I've tested on 3ds max 2009 and 2012.

When do you have crashes ? Show some screens . I can't help you knowing nothing .

Limiter
It works with 2012 as mush as with 2009 .

Limiter
  • Limiter

GTA Modder

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Alexander, a great relief to hear it from you. I hope to test this soon.

Mikael_GreenFly
  • Mikael_GreenFly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

First i wanted to say: "Great work Alexander", been waiting for a tool like this for a long time now.

Well now to my problem. I'am also quite an 3dsmax noob. I have a motion capture file .BVH and i have the IG_Niko model from EFLC imported. Now i don't really get the modifying a Keyframe part. Well basically its nowhere shown, like in a tutorial or else. I want to know how to merge the .BVH file so it plays for Nikos Skeleton.

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

Will you update the script for the new OpenIV?

We can't do animations now sad.gif

terreur69
  • terreur69

C2C - Down The Road

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

user posted image
ped path working in more 512 high unit inlove.gif ,i did not know that was possible cryani.gif
so , if you made your own nods script , gostown will finally have the traffic in the city from the top , please make this , and thanks for amazing script cookie.gif !

Limiter
  • Limiter

GTA Modder

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Wow, working paths above height limit for paths?? Nice find there terreur. cookie.gif

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:44 PM Edited by Blaster_nl, 28 July 2013 - 10:17 PM.

QUOTE (terreur69 @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 21:00)
user posted image
ped path working in more 512 high unit  inlove.gif ,i did not know that was possible cryani.gif
  so , if you made your own nods script , gostown will finally have the traffic in the city from the top , please make this , and thanks for amazing script  cookie.gif !

Navmeshes are like collisions in a way, so i'm not surprised that this works.

Nodes on the other hand, are not possible.

It's not a GIMS limitation, it's a limitation from the game engine.

miclin
  • miclin

old stager

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:05 PM Edited by miclin, 28 July 2013 - 10:08 PM.

Hi, I cant import the walk animations to 3dsmax.

Is it cause of the new Openiv?

Limiter
  • Limiter

GTA Modder

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 20:44)
user posted image
ped path working in more 512 high unit  inlove.gif ,i did not know that was possible cryani.gif
  so , if you made your own nods script , gostown will finally have the traffic in the city from the top , please make this , and thanks for amazing script  cookie.gif !

This makes me wonder why Rockstar won't just make car paths similar to ped paths in structure. Or at least in some sort of a way.

@miclin

yeah, new openIV has new openformat structure for animations. This tool needs an update before you can get that to work.

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:33 PM Edited by Blaster_nl, 28 July 2013 - 10:49 PM.

QUOTE (Limiter @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 00:18)
user posted image

This makes me wonder why Rockstar won't just make car paths similar to ped paths in structure. Or at least in some sort of a way.

Well, probably because of several reasons

Probably the most important one is because cars must only drive on one lane. With meshes, you can never know where a lane is. With nodes, the path is exactly in the middle of the lane, so cars know exactly where they are suppose to drive.

Before IV, the path system for peds and cars were the same. The problem with that is, the area where people may walk is always different. A pavement is narrow, but a playground is not. So translating these areas where people may walk to a path is very hard. Meshes allow for complete freedom.

But a car driver doesn't have freedom...you must obey the traffic rules. So a more strict system for this is mandatory to not let the AI do unexpected things you dont want.

terreur69
  • terreur69

C2C - Down The Road

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 00:33)
QUOTE (Limiter @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 00:18)
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gou62YW.png[/IMG

Well, probably because of several reasons

Probably the most important one is because cars must only drive on one lane. With meshes, you can never know where a lane is. With nodes, the path is exactly in the middle of the lane, so cars know exactly where they are suppose to drive.

Before IV, the path system for peds and cars were the same. The problem with that is, the area where people may walk is always different. A pavement is narrow, but a playground is not. So translating these areas where people may walk to a path is very hard. Meshes allow for complete freedom.

But a car driver doesn't have freedom...you must obey the traffic rules. So a more strict system for this is mandatory to not let the AI do unexpected things you dont want.

i am of the same opinion that limiter, it's stupid that rockstar is created only for the limitation for paths, and after doomer, the nods and navmesh had the same restriction, and although proof not , i do not know anything about programming, doomer created its own nods, so it may very well recompile line beyond 512, as it's created, right?

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Any updates on .OFT support?

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (lpgunit @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 02:11)
Any updates on .OFT support?

• GTARandom likes this

Alexander Blade
  • Alexander Blade

Come As You Are

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm working on oft import this days , meanwhile ofio is updated in order to support newest openFormats animations , read the chm

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (Alexander Blade @ Saturday, Aug 10 2013, 08:44)
I'm working on oft import this days , meanwhile ofio is updated in order to support newest openFormats animations , read the chm

What about export?

MajesticNL
  • MajesticNL

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:43 AM

Alexander, what gives GIMS the advantage right now is it's very user friendly Material Editor. Mainly because it's well categorized and compact.

I'm not asking you to be a copycat, but you could learn from GIMS to create an easy to use material editor. So my question is, will you improve the material editor?

I really dislike Gims EVO (becuase of it's GUI and startup time) so if you make an improved ME, I think I will switch over to OFIO when it comes to model export icon14.gif

Also, any plans for a map editor like GIMS?

Alexander Blade
  • Alexander Blade

Come As You Are

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

First of all there will be no more user-friendly mat editor biggrin.gif GIMS mat editor has tons of code , I won't go that far for gui . I was planning on map editor after oft . And there is no complete oft import still smile.gif

Beerminator1
  • Beerminator1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Apparently, it's not compatible with 3ds max 2012... I have it (and the Hotfix 1), but I can't import animations.

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (Alexander Blade @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 11:40)
First of all there will be no more user-friendly mat editor biggrin.gif GIMS mat editor has tons of code , I won't go that far for gui . I was planning on map editor after oft . And there is no complete oft import still smile.gif

You could just use the original mat editor from 3ds max like SA does.

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Maybe someone here can help me out. I've been working on putting the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier in GTA 4.

1. I used OFIO to import RUS_18x12_Extra01.odr from retail_3.img, then imported rus_18x12_extra01.onim for the ceiling fan animations.
  2. I then took the skeleton from the buildings 4 ceiling fans and translated/scaled the bones to fit the rotors of the Helicarrier.
  3. I then reset all transforms, scale, and xforms.
  4. Then I used the attach method to attach the rotors to the ceiling fans and delete the fans verts.
  5. I exported animations in OFIO.
  6. I used GIMS to setup hierarchy for ide (anim) and wpl's and exported those with no issues.
  7. I then used GIMS to setup hierarchy for the wdr export, matching RUS_18x12_Extra01.wdr's hierarchy.
  8. I had to modify the .skel file for the helicarrier to add the bone ID's from RUS_18x12_Extra01.
  9. I then imported all of the files into OpenIV

OpenIV has no issues showing the files, the animation works correctly in the Animation Viewer

https://www.facebook...151971797947456

NOW, when I start the game, the collision loads, but the mesh does not.

I can however load the mesh from a version I did without animations, so I know it's not a poly issue or textures/shaders.

Why would OpenIV be able to display everything correctly but not the game? Is this a WPL issue, that's about all that is left. I've even gone as far as comparing exported openformats data between the working and non working versions and making changes to the animated version with no luck.

Is this something I should be using OFIO for when I export the model?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Alexander Blade
  • Alexander Blade

Come As You Are

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

H1Vltg3

probably something with skeleton is not in the way it should be , openiv doesn't rly care about this because it uses resources _as_it_is_ unlike the game which expects the data to be sorted / grouped / etc , solution is to make separate drawables for the static part and the model of propeller , by the way you can use the skeleton and animation from original ck_radar* for the propeller

• H1Vltg3 likes this

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

H1Vltg3

probably something with skeleton is not in the way it should be , openiv doesn't rly care about this because it uses resources _as_it_is_ unlike the game which expects the data to be sorted / grouped / etc , solution is to make separate drawables for the static part and the model of propeller , by the way you can use the skeleton and animation from original ck_radar* for the propeller

Ok, I will try the separate drawables. I used the russian store because it has 4 fans with 4 animations, I need all 4. So by separate drawables, you mean separate wdr's? Should each of the 4 propellers be separate too? What I'm saying is, should I have 5 drawables or 2 (main body and 4 props)? I will probably try to import just he propellers into the russian store scene and replace the fans, then export from there. I noticed that I cannot exactly match the hierarcy of the russian store becuase they use one of the bones as the main mesh dummy, so the hierarchy is smaller, and when I try to export without a dev_model dummy it gives an error in gims. Can I export models in OFIO without a dev_model dummy?

Alexander Blade
  • Alexander Blade

Come As You Are

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:00 PM Edited by Alexander Blade, 25 October 2013 - 11:00 PM.

You still need all dummies to match the exporter hierarchy , doesn't matter what you will use - ofio or gims , it should be fine . You need only 1 propeller wdr which will be instanced 4 times in wpl .

H1Vltg3
  • H1Vltg3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:16 AM

I understand what instancing is and how to do it in 3DS Max, but I don't know how to edit the wpl's to add instance information like you described. I see the instance ID in GIMS' wpl section, would I first have to instance an object in 3DS then assign ID's to each? I attempted to export the 4 blades with the skel from the russian store, without changing any hierarchy, only deleting the building model. It only exported in OFIO because of the "dr_" prefix, but did not animate in OpenIV or load in-game, even though the names were correct and had correct bone ID's. I also wasn't able to load an obj wdr and anim wdr together in the Animation Viewer. As I type this, I'm currently exporting the latest attempt. I imported the main ship and 4 separate blades into the store scene, replaced the building with the ship, and the fans with the blades. Then I renamed the dr_rus18x12_extra01 to dev_model, renamed the rest of the bones/models, setup materials, and exported. This only changes names, not hierarchy. OFIO gave me a material error with the multi-material this time, so I had to use GIMS. I looked into the ck_radar_tower and since it is only for one spinning object, it would have to be duplicated, which seemed like more work setting up the hierarchy again unless I can figure out this instancing in the WPL that you speak of.

Alexander Blade
  • Alexander Blade

Come As You Are

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:19 PM

one 1 wdr - 4 entries in wpl , thats what I meant

bircoum
  • bircoum

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hi !
When I try to import in 3ds Max 2014 the file ck_radar_tower.onim, OFIO says "EXCEPTION: root object isn't a bone", do you know why ?

I followed this : http://www.youtube.c...zWE66TdVBg#t=14

Thanks !

Alexander Blade
  • Alexander Blade

Come As You Are

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

In classic hierarchy manager you must select the root bone object :)

indra.
  • indra.

Modeller

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:24 AM Edited by indra p, 04 November 2013 - 02:37 AM.

hi guys..

whenever try to export my ped model using this tool i keep getting this error

6B0EN2x.jpg

after million times trying and fail, the only way i know to make it work is by deleting the torso mesh of my character, which mean like this.
2PbsC69.png
yeah that suck ...this is really confusing me..but i see this tool can export normal map better than gims does wich are very buggy..so i really need this to be work..
anyone can tell me what is the problem, and how i can export my model properly using this tool?

thank you

am using max 2012 btw

Alexander Blade
  • Alexander Blade

Come As You Are

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hi , upload somewhere your *.max scene please :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users