Need Opinions on My First Gaming Setup

2 replies to this topic
WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

I already have the parts picked out, but given this is my first time building a computer I just want to make sure I'm not making any foolish choices. It will be used primarily for gaming and internet browsing.

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM, 64MB Cache, 6.0Gb/s
PSU - SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 650W
Memory - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core
Fan - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
SSD - Samsung 128GB SATA III
GPU - Sapphire FleX Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

My primary concerns are the motherboard and HDD because both have 4/5 egg reviews and so do all of the other HDDs and motherboards. I just want to make sure I'm not going to have to send them back if they come DOA.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award
    Helpfulness Award [Technology]

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

I assume you are going to overclock this rig, yeah? Also, I don't see a case listed in here, do you have one already?

I'd change the HDD to either WD10EZEX or ST1000DM003 - both are cheaper and faster than WD1002FAEX; they have shorter warranty though.
I'd also change the memory stick to ones with lower radiators, like eg. BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00. The ones you chose might collide with many aftermarket CPU coolers.
Change the SSD to the 840 Pro if you can afford it, it's faster and more reliable.
HD7950 is good, but with the GTX760/GTX760Ti (rebranded GTX670 with lower price) just around the corner (allegedly sheduled to be released on 25th) it's not worth buying right now.

What you might consider as well is getting a freshly relesed Haswell CPU (i7-4770k), as opposed to the previous-gen Ivy Bridge (i7-3770k). It requires a different motherboard, like eg. ASRock Z87 Extreme3. I should also note that if this PC won't be used in applications that rely heavily on multithreading (video rendering software, etc.), I'd go for i5 instead of i7 and get a faster graphics card, this way your rig will be faster in games.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (yojo2 @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 06:52)
I assume you are going to overclock this rig, yeah? Also, I don't see a case listed in here, do you have one already?

I'd change the HDD to either WD10EZEX or ST1000DM003 - both are cheaper and faster than WD1002FAEX; they have shorter warranty though.
I'd also change the memory stick to ones with lower radiators, like eg. BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00. The ones you chose might collide with many aftermarket CPU coolers.
Change the SSD to the 840 Pro if you can afford it, it's faster and more reliable.
HD7950 is good, but with the GTX760/GTX760Ti (rebranded GTX670 with lower price) just around the corner (allegedly sheduled to be released on 25th) it's not worth buying right now.

What you might consider as well is getting a freshly relesed Haswell CPU (i7-4770k), as opposed to the previous-gen Ivy Bridge (i7-3770k). It requires a different motherboard, like eg. ASRock Z87 Extreme3. I should also note that if this PC won't be used in applications that rely heavily on multithreading (video rendering software, etc.), I'd go for i5 instead of i7 and get a faster graphics card, this way your rig will be faster in games.

Yeah, I have a case already.

I went ahead and switched my HDD out to the WD10EZEX like you said. My second choice for RAM would be the G.Skill Sniper Series, they seem to have great reviews. I'm going to stick with my current SSD, it's cheaper and has overwhelmingly-positive reviews.

As for the 7950, I was reading that it's a pretty decent competitor to the GTX 670 when you get the latest drivers and overclock it. I would really prefer the 670 overall, mainly because overclocking would not only decimate the 7950, but it would also surpass the 7970. I'm just trying to save money is all.

I've decided to go for the i5 3570k like you recommended. I just hope it's relevant for a few years.

And like I was saying, my primary concern out of all of my parts is the motherboard. There are so many of them and almost all of them are 4/5 eggs with mixed reviews. That's really the only thing I need help picking out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users