Photo

Windows 8 performance

11 replies to this topic
luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

I have been using Windows 8 for GTA4 lately and there is improved performance for me, higher fps, smoother and less popin.

Has anyone else tried it?

ps. It is possible to almost completely ignore Metro.

SlaveZer0
  • SlaveZer0

Perveyor of Destruction

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

if you buy software from stardock you can remove metro from windows 8 and make it better than win 7. the performance increase you are seeing is just placebo.... in the 20 -30 windows 8 systems ive tested i have not seen improvements in any game.

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Oh well, following your assertion that it runs exactly the same, I reinstalled the game on Windows 7 and it ran just as well as on 8.. so maybe I'm deluding myself..

I have been finding that performance using 7 can be quite variable, sometimes there can be more annoying stutters or popin, whereas other times, it is very smooth. It seems due to background processes in Windows or something.

I found Windows 8 more consistently good, I think, but I shall investigate further.

Gilly1987
  • Gilly1987

Thug

• Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (luceberg @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 00:20)
I have been using Windows 8 for GTA4 lately and there is improved performance for me, higher fps, smoother and less popin.

Has anyone else tried it?

ps. It is possible to almost completely ignore Metro.

Or is it that you have a fresh OS?
I've noticed no difference really from W7.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

The difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 is not that big as far as I'm aware - the metro surface of W8 is the most significant difference I think. Though, there are some small improvements in the software, e.g. particular processes are processed by a particular CPU core, instead of processed by a core, then randomly moved to the next core, processed further, et cetera. The latter one happened in Windows 7, and that's not the most efficient way, but it was solved in its successor for the most part, from what I heard.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Also, another negative thing that was changed on Windows 8, is that it seems like the only programs you can access are the ones that have a desktop shortcut, as even if you go to the traditional Windows screen(the one that looks similar to 7), there is NO Start icon to which you can open different programs...

Also, the Start up process on W8 is a lot different-ie. you have to press the spacebar key just to get it to come up to where you can log into Windows..

Also, there is NO Windows Media Player on Windows 8...I checked that out, and could not find it...so, how are you suppose to Burn CD's?

Plus, it has problems with running older games-just check out the III, VC, and SA sections for example..there are A LOT of topics there about having problems running the games on W8-which means that Windows 8 is similar to how Vista was when it came out..?

I have yet to see any actual improvements on Windows 8 as compared to 7..to me, it seems that 7 is the one that's better optimized...? As 7 will run anything that XP ran and a lot of times better-heck, Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate even has a Windows XP mode built in, so if you have one of those, there is not a program you can't run, as even if it's not for 7, you could just run it under the built in XP mode...?

SlaveZer0
  • SlaveZer0

Perveyor of Destruction

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 19:52)
Also, another negative thing that was changed on Windows 8, is that it seems like the only programs you can access are the ones that have a desktop shortcut, as even if you go to the traditional Windows screen(the one that looks similar to 7), there is NO Start icon to which you can open different programs...

Also, the Start up process on W8 is a lot different-ie. you have to press the spacebar key just to get it to come up to where you can log into Windows..

Also, there is NO Windows Media Player on Windows 8...I checked that out, and could not find it...so, how are you suppose to Burn CD's?

Plus, it has problems with running older games-just check out the III, VC, and SA sections for example..there are A LOT of topics there about having problems running the games on W8-which means that Windows 8 is similar to how Vista was when it came out..?

I have yet to see any actual improvements on Windows 8 as compared to 7..to me, it seems that 7 is the one that's better optimized...? As 7 will run anything that XP ran and a lot of times better-heck, Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate even has a Windows XP mode built in, so if you have one of those, there is not a program you can't run, as even if it's not for 7, you could just run it under the built in XP mode...?

there is a program called start8 by stardock software that puts the start menu back.... voila useful windows 8.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

http://www.informati...ows-8/240000924
aero glass is disabled in windows 8

Gilly1987
  • Gilly1987

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

How's this turned into a general comparison of Windows 8 v Windows 7? sarcasm.gif
I'm sure the OP knows what Windows 8 consists of and how it differs to previous Windows layout.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Apparently, Microsoft has some sort of pattern. Windows XP was a pretty good operating system and it lasted for a long time. Windows Vista didn't have a good start; it wasted so much system RAM, it's not even funny. After the second Service Pack, I believe, it was already a lot better but not great. Windows 7 turned out to be a pretty decent operating system and I'm still running it on both, my desktop PC and my laptop. Windows 8 is Microsoft's newest OS and it's not really that great, unfortunately. Especially if you want to play some older videogames, you will have a lot of problems if you aren't lucky, which is a rare case. If you have Windows 7 and gaming is what you do the most, then I don't see any reason to switch over to W8, at least not for a while.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:25 AM

How's this turned into a general comparison of Windows 8 v Windows 7?

the title of thread is called "windows 8 performance"!
Apparently, Microsoft has some sort of pattern. Windows XP was a pretty good operating system and it lasted for a long time. Windows Vista didn't have a good start; it wasted so much system RAM, it's not even funny.

i agree, windows 3.1, 98 before second edition, millennium, vista, and now windows 8. i think they do it on purpose as part of their directions from the tptb\illuminati - no company can be that stupid every other time on purpose and still make money in this economy... peep google and microsoft both have rainbow logos like nbc.

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

@SlaveZer0, thanks for the Start8 advice, that one works best of the start menu replacement softwares I have tried, better than the Startmenu8 one I used previously.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users