Fanboyism Resurrects It's Ugly Head

76 replies to this topic
Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

It's quite sad seeing all the comments of people saying Xbox One failed and PS4 is great and they "won." What the f*ck did you win? Both are companies trying to make some money. This brand-f*cking is grotesque. I'm all for people being happy for what they will choose that they will buy but there seems to be some happiness in the XBX1's lacklustre performance so far. I don't think I could ever really be happy if one or the other companies really under-performed. I'd be a little sad at lack of competition.

In case you feel I'm a fanboy of any particular company, I'm not. I don't brown-nose companies. I do have certain admiration for some companies technology like Apple but I'd never brown-nose them like a lot of people I see online do.

I am most likely going for a PS4 this gen. Like it was PS2 for me back then and when the original Xbox came out I got one of them because of the storage and better graphics. I bought a Xbox 360 because I preferred the controller and online play (and price coupled with the relationship with GTA). This gen, I'll buy a PS4 for price mainly and because of the DRM thing with XBX1

But why do some of you think that the "failure" of another console is a good thing? Surely two or more successful consoles would be a good thing? It would push the consoles to outdo each other. Instead you guys are saying PS4 is a flawless win. When the heads at Sony get the message of all these people sucking the collective dick of Sony, what will push them to rise again and continue to offer gamers a better experience?

To the fanboys, did they not teach you in school that competition is healthy?

The Viperman
  • The Viperman

Peon

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

I agree with you. I'm actually very dissapointed in how the Xbox 1 is shaping up, not happy about it, because I had a 360 last gen.

mufc
  • mufc

Cat

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

The failure of the console which is trying to take away our consumer rights is a good thing. Fanboyism is gay as f*ck but this time it's warranted!

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Fanboys are the WORST kind, but MS still shouldn't have the DRM sh*t. That's the only thing I hate.

Great read.

user posted image

Still think i'll stick to MS. I need my Halo. inlove.gif

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Quite sad? Au contraire, mon ami, I am absolutely loving it. There's nothing quite as funny as watching petty arguments get blown out of proportion due to some inbred instinct to "belong" to some sort of group. Chevy/Ford, Apple/Windows, Playstation/Xbox. I also think the competitive spirit is super important... and this is coming from the good times back in the days of "blast processing".

Don't worry, though, eventually all gaming will be done on an ipad. tounge.gif

deathdealer
  • deathdealer

The Yardies

• The Yardies

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

I'm glad to see that sony trounced microsoft at their conference but it's not about being a fanboy. Microsoft's anti-consumer bullsh*t with the xbox one is not good for gamers. I'm glad sony isn't following suit and is smart enough to see that doing what microsoft is doing will do them harm in the long run. If sony did the same thing then I would be strictly a PC gamer.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 13:46)
I bought a Xbox 360 because I preferred the controller and online play (and price coupled with the relationship with GTA). This gen, I'll buy a PS4 for price mainly and because of the DRM thing with XBX1

Yeah man, same here on both counts. I'm still sad I'll be leaving what feels like an almost perfect controller model.

But why do some of you think that the "failure" of another console is a good thing? Surely two or more successful consoles would be a good thing? It would push the consoles to outdo each other.

Well long-term, sure. To be honest there's just some primal part of me that likes seeing established systems crash and burn and I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling. I just like seeing a company that I've had a begrudging relationship with completely lose their self-awareness in the industry. It's purely narcissistic enjoyment, I'll grant you that.

That said, the fall of one company only leaves a void for other ones to fill in. Someone would present competition eventually. The gaming industry is not a vacuum, when one company falls out another would fall in. Or maybe more than one. Who knows.

To be honest, I think a lot of people are happy to be fanboyist about this because they feel like Microsoft slighted them personally. They feel like the Xbox One conference insulted them as a gamer with it's reliance on television instead of actual gaming.
  • Moth likes this

Rusty Balls
  • Rusty Balls

love spuds

• The Precinct
  • Scotland

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 19:46)
What the f*ck did you win?

Clearly, they, the PS4 won more consumers than the Xbox One did.

Waldie
  • Waldie

Narcissistic Introvert

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

I wouldn't really say it was fanboyism in this case, and even if it were, it's Microsoft's fault. They brought it upon themselves.

I own all the PS and Xbox consoles so far and I like them all but I do kind of want to see Xbox One fail. Microsoft needs to understand that this sh*t they're trying to pull is not on and if that means everyone shunning them in favour of Sony, then so be it.

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

This member title is 100% renewable

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Both companies are lazy. Instead of making nice designs like PS3 and X360 had, they created VHS looking bricks.

Still, going for PS4. I dont want to pay money so I can play a sh*tty used game and at least Sony attempted in making a creative design.

.dre.
  • .dre.

reminder 6/12

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:16 PM Edited by .dre., 11 June 2013 - 08:20 PM.

All I have to look at is the bottom of the person's post before I know if they're going to complain about 'fanboyism' ( really? fanboyism?). If both companies are charging for used games then we lose. If one smacks the sh*t out of the other one and says, 'we won't charge for used games and we won't require a constant internet connection like them' then it's a f*cking win for me. I don't see anyone celebrating whenever Sony makes an extra million dollars during their financial quarters, but they sure do celebrate when the price of their console is cheaper and why shouldn't they? To spare the feelings of others? If one sports team is bragging about how their team one against the other. Is that 'fanboyism'? Yes, and so f*cking what? Stop being so butt hurt and welcome to the internet.
And as for competition. This is the result of competition. Maybe once Microsoft sees that everyone is going to buy a PS4 then maybe, just maybe they will realize where they f*cked up. Sony was once like this too last gen. They thought they could do no wrong and overprice their console. Next gen Microsoft could probably take the lead again if Sony doesn't get a big head.

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:26 PM Edited by simonp92, 11 June 2013 - 08:31 PM.

I honestly wanna see the XBOX ONE crash and burn, and I'm not even gonna piss on it to put it out.
Does that mean I wan't Microsoft to fail? No, I wan't them to make back with a new console which isn't so anti-consumer.

This isn't about fanboyism, it's about what is the correct choice for gamers. I could just don't care if people buys the XBOX ONE, the problem is that it f*cks me over aswell, if SONY smells that people still buys the XB1, they're gonna inflict DRM themselves. And the in next generation we'll have the choice between two horribly anti-consumeristic consoles.

If you're a big fan of the 360 and really wanna play all the flashy games of XB1, wait and maybe.. Perhaps maybe Microsoft will change their policies and we'll love them again. Until then do not look twice at them.

dontdieb4september
  • dontdieb4september

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Everyone is laying into a sh*t system that is detrimental to gaming, I dont care if they are fan boys or not. Microsoft is sh*tting on the gaming community.. they deserve all the mockery. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'd say the past week has been a big defeat for fanboyism.

A lot of hardcore xbox fanboys said, "f*ck that, that's unacceptable" to microsoft, and seeing this has restored some of my faith in gamers.

Microsoft thought that the gamertag, gamerscore, and achievements system would have players hooked to their products, so that thay could trample all over their rights and their culture - MS must be in a state of shock right now.

I'm active on the xbox forums and the amount of people who are 10 and 12 year xbox players who are coming on to say they are giving it all up has been staggering.

I'm sorry ThePinkFloydSound, but if you are seeing this as just a case of fanboyism then you have massively misjudged the mood of the gaming population, and you've failed to understand what was at stake here. icon13.gif icon13.gif icon13.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

After reading some of the comments, maybe I got it all wrong. I suppose I'm referring to the "haha" attitude that seems rather counter-productive. All the replies in here seem very constructive and diplomatic but when I'm reading elsewhere they seem very childish. I suppose it's just one way to stick it to MS.

@Joseph: I can see your points.

I suppose it is a a celebration of the consumer giving a "f*ck you" to sh*tty policy than anything else. In that respect, I agree.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

This is the hook.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Like others have said, we don't want MS to fail, we want this Xbox to fail for the fact that the sh*t they're pulling is unacceptable. We want them to crash and burn so they know that in the end we decide what's good and what's not in terms of features and usage rights. We don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops so a buddy can try a game he isn't sure without having to be logged in to our profile. MS was basically trying to be a f*cking tyrant and controlling what the f*ck we do with the sh*t we paid for. We should be able to do what the f*ck we want with our games while its within the law. Now, once there's a price drop or when they release a slim version I will probably buy an Xbox One but only if they got their sh*t together and removed all this hogwash that they were stupid enough to include. If we let this stand what is next? Having to pay additional fees after we bought the f*cking console just to turn it on? Microsoft f*cked up, they know it, we know it and now they will pay the consequences. No doubt they will sell a lot of consoles none the less, but we have to show them that we have rights and that there's no way in hell that we are giving them up just because they think they own us.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Erebos @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 22:16)
Like others have said, we don't want MS to fail, we want this Xbox to fail for the fact that the sh*t they're pulling is unacceptable. We want them to crash and burn so they know that in the end we decide what's good and what's not in terms of features and usage rights. We don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops so a buddy can try a game he isn't sure without having to be logged in to our profile. MS was basically trying to be a f*cking tyrant and controlling what the f*ck we do with the sh*t we paid for. We should be able to do what the f*ck we want with our games while its within the law. Now, once there's a price drop or when they release a slim version I will probably buy an Xbox One but only if they got their sh*t together and removed all this hogwash that they were stupid enough to include. If we let this stand what is next? Having to pay additional fees after we bought the f*cking console just to turn it on? Microsoft f*cked up, they know it, we know it and now they will pay the consequences. No doubt they will sell a lot of consoles none the less, but we have to show them that we have rights and that there's no way in hell that we are giving them up just because they think they own us.

Point taken. Didn't see it like that and In that respect I do agree. icon14.gif

Jake
  • Jake

Vagina Mine

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

I was a hardcore Xbox gamer for the last ten years when it came to consoles. I play on PC as well. The restrictions of DRM on PC is acceptable due to the easy pirating. The bonus of consoles was always having an easy access to cheap used games and/or borrowing/renting a title at your leisure.

Not to mention the online authenticity check to narrow down the option to play a game for millions of gamers who can't afford internet and rely solely on used games.

I have high quality internet, I rarely buy used games but I definitely have. But I don't see how it benefits any gamers whatsoever to put the limits on. It was extremely obvious that MS was trying to get more money for themselves and the publishers in order to possibly pull some exclusives to get gamers stuck in Xboxville and having to pay extra to even acquire used titles from established retailers like Gamestop.

And then you have MS giving a big f*ck you to Indie developers. And a Kinect that has had a lot of controversy over privacy concerns. And don't forget the hardware is weaker and they are charging $100 more in USD. Even more overseas from what I read.

Many gamers and myself included are switching to PS4. All around I didn't want to see MS fail, but I really can't support what they are doing. And watching it unfold, I can't help but laugh at them.

The Viperman
  • The Viperman

Peon

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

ThePinkFloydSound is only referring to the people who act as if Microsofts f*ck up is a good thing, it's not because it effects us all as gamers, as it shows where the gaming industry is headed.

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:30 PM Edited by archiebunker, 11 June 2013 - 09:34 PM.

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 15:52)
I'd say the past week has been a big defeat for fanboyism.

A lot of hardcore xbox fanboys said, "f*ck that, that's unacceptable" to microsoft, and seeing this has restored some of my faith in gamers.

Microsoft thought that the gamertag, gamerscore, and achievements system would have players hooked to their products, so that thay could trample all over their rights and their culture - MS must be in a state of shock right now.

I'm active on the xbox forums and the amount of people who are 10 and 12 year xbox players who are coming on to say they are giving it all up has been staggering.

I'm sorry ThePinkFloydSound, but if you are seeing this as just a case of fanboyism then you have massively misjudged the mood of the gaming population, and you've failed to understand what was at stake here.  icon13.gif  icon13.gif  icon13.gif

Indeed. The 360 was my primary gaming console. I certainly didn't go into this year intending to despise their next gen device (quite the opposite--MS had earned a lot of credit with me [and latter-day Sony, too, to a lesser extent]), but MS royally f*cked it up and lost me.

My console history: I started with Atari, was a major Nintendo fan in the 80s/90s but still got the Sega Genesis in the late 80s, went with PS2 and later added Gamecube, then went with Xbox 360, and got the PS3 a couple years ago. I don't understand the concept of brand loyalty. I pick whatever product is best for me. This time, I am completely repulsed by MS and the Xbox One. Does MS's arrogance engender a lot of schadenfreude in me? Sure, I admit that. It's a sort of catharsis seeing them suffer for their outstanding bullsh*t.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 19:46)
It's quite sad seeing all the comments of people saying Xbox One failed and PS4 is great and they "won." What the f*ck did you win? Both are companies trying to make some money. This brand-f*cking is grotesque. I'm all for people being happy for what they will choose that they will buy but there seems to be some happiness in the XBX1's lacklustre performance so far. I don't think I could ever really be happy if one or the other companies really under-performed. I'd be a little sad at lack of competition.

In case you feel I'm a fanboy of any particular company, I'm not. I don't brown-nose companies. I do have certain admiration for some companies technology like Apple but I'd never brown-nose them like a lot of people I see online do.

I am most likely going for a PS4 this gen. Like it was PS2 for me back then and when the original Xbox came out I got one of them because of the storage and better graphics. I bought a Xbox 360 because I preferred the controller and online play (and price coupled with the relationship with GTA). This gen, I'll buy a PS4 for price mainly and because of the DRM thing with XBX1

But why do some of you think that the "failure" of another console is a good thing? Surely two or more successful consoles would be a good thing? It would push the consoles to outdo each other. Instead you guys are saying PS4 is a flawless win. When the heads at Sony get the message of all these people sucking the collective dick of Sony, what will push them to rise again and continue to offer gamers a better experience?

To the fanboys, did they not teach you in school that competition is healthy?

The Xbox One is a fail. Because they're trying to control your games, how you play, and even watch you. M$ thought they could just ride out the name of Xbox 360 which now they couldn't. They should of saw Sony fail when they tried to ride out the name PS2 for PS3. Xbox 360 was all about gamers while PS3 was more of a entertainment system. Now PS4 is all about gamers while Xbox One is a social console. At least PS3 came with great exclusives to keep you with them while Xbox One has the overused Halo series and COD DLC first. I don't think this will help save M$.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

The thing that strikes me the most is how passionate people get defending either console. You don't work for either company, and they are not paying you any money, so why do people care so much about who gets what? Get either, whatever you like, play yours games and move along. No point arguing on the internet about a console. I understand its a forum and people will obviously discuss the pros and cons of each, but it never, ever ends up like that.

Instead, it usually ends up along these lines:

QUOTE (Made up console war quote)
"Erm, you blind you f*cking faggot?Of course the PS4 is better, because i googled what type of ram it has even though i know nothing about ram, and copy and pasted this long technical list from Wikipedia that makes no sense to me, but i think its basically telling me the PS4 ram is better, so suck my f*cking plums  angry.gif  alien.gif  biggrin.gif  devil.gif  tounge2.gif  catspider.gif  monocle.gif  icon14.gif

redx165
  • redx165

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (tms_junk @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 22:51)
The thing that strikes me the most is how passionate people get defending either console. You don't work for either company, and they are not paying you any money, so why do people care so much about who gets what? Get either, whatever you like, play yours games and move along. No point arguing on the internet about a console. I understand its a forum and people will obviously discuss the pros and cons of each, but it never, ever ends up like that.

Instead, it usually ends up along these lines:

QUOTE (Made up console war quote)
"Erm, you blind you f*cking faggot?Of course the PS4 is better, because i googled what type of ram it has even though i know nothing about ram, and copy and pasted this long technical list from Wikipedia that makes no sense to me, but i think its basically telling me the PS4 ram is better, so suck my f*cking plums  angry.gif  alien.gif  biggrin.gif  devil.gif  tounge2.gif  catspider.gif  monocle.gif  icon14.gif

I like to know why someone would go with Xbox One. With everything they said why would you want to be limited in what you do? They have control over your games and console. If you lose internet for a day or if their service goes down you can't even play a game. Even the online for the PS4 is cheaper then Xbox One. I really like to know why someone would buy Xbox One.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

Well basically, people can get what they like without explaining their actions to you. What if someone has a brilliant gamerscore and wants to carry on with it on Xbox One? What if someone loves the way Kinect is? What if someone prefers more of the Xbox One exclusives? It is purely up to the consumer to pick whatever product suits their needs the most. Just because Xbox one isn't right for you, doesn't mean it isn't right for them.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

The only thing Sony has won is both my respect and my money.

redx165
  • redx165

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (tms_junk @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 23:01)
Well basically, people can get what they like without explaining their actions to you. What if someone has a brilliant gamerscore and wants to carry on with it on Xbox One? What if someone loves the way Kinect is? What if someone prefers more of the Xbox One exclusives? It is purely up to the consumer to pick whatever product suits their needs the most. Just because Xbox one isn't right for you, doesn't mean it isn't right for them.

Alright you help me out with a few things. So you're telling me people are either too stubborn or are fanboys to take a look around the internet and decide which system is better?

Exclusives - I understand that but Microsoft is going to do the same thing they did with 360. Milk Halo and GOW and won't care about any other exclusive
Gamerscore - This one makes sense so I can't say nothing bad about it. But is really worth more money and all the problems then starting fresh with PS4?
Kinect - Its always on watching you ( This kinda creeps me out )

You got to explain why you want it. If you don't explain why you want it then its fanboyism. I want the PS4 cause cheaper online, I can borrow use games, I don't always have to be online.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:35 PM Edited by wwinterj, 11 June 2013 - 11:37 PM.

QUOTE (redx165 @ Wednesday, Jun 12 2013, 00:08)
-snip-

Here is the deal. I'm a gamer and I'll be buying both next gen consoles at some point and a WII U. I won't be making the next gen jump for at least a year or so after launch when more games are out for the systems, the price is better, bugs are fixed and maybe even a slim model announced. Until then I'm happy with all three current gen systems I own PS3. Xbox 360 and WII. PS4 will however be my first next gen console as PS1, PS2 and PS3 have been my first consoles. Not even going to go as far back as the Nintendo and Sega console wars days but I think you get the point.

There is no "better" here. It's only down to preference. I prefer Sony exclusive games but still a fan of Microsoft and Nintendo exclusives. To me the exclusives are the only reason to own multiple systems. Quantum Break(XboxOne), Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) and Killzone: Shadow Fall(PS4) as examples. Each system has some great exclusives coming out.

The main draw for me to even think about buying a next gen console is the price and games. The one game that has me hyped is third party and will be on PS4 and XboxOne. Maybe even WII U and that's Kingdom Hearts 3. Most games I would call system sellers are multi Platform. Metal Gear Solid V for example. Point is the system doesn't matter if you don't care about exclusives. It's all down to preference.

redx165
  • redx165

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (wwinterj @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 23:35)
QUOTE (redx165 @ Wednesday, Jun 12 2013, 00:08)
-snip-

Here is the deal. I'm a gamer and I'll be buying both next gen consoles at some point and a WII U. I won't be making the next gen jump for at least a year or so after launch when more games are out for the systems, the price is better, bugs are fixed and maybe even a slim model announced. Until then I'm happy with all three current gen systems I own PS3. Xbox 360 and WII. PS4 will however be my first next gen console as PS1, PS2 and PS3 have been my first consoles. Not even going to go as far back as the Nintendo and Sega console wars days but I think you get the point.

There is no "better" here. It's only down to preference. I prefer Sony exclusive games but still a fan of Microsoft and Nintendo exclusives. To me the exclusives are the only reason to own multiple systems. Quantum Break(XboxOne), Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) and Killzone: Shadow Fall(PS4) as examples. Each system has some great exclusives coming out.

The main draw for me to even think about buying a next gen console is the price and games. The one game that has me hyped is third party and will be on PS4 and XboxOne. Maybe even WII U and that's Kingdom Hearts 3. Most games I would call system sellers are multi Platform. Metal Gear Solid V for example. Point is the system doesn't matter if you don't care about exclusives.

There is no better? I speak to differ. Even gamers voted they would get PS4 instead of Xbone. Want to know why? Because Sony at least makes it look like they care for us while M$ is plain out trying to steal money.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:39 PM Edited by wwinterj, 11 June 2013 - 11:41 PM.

It's all opinion and personal preference.

redx165
  • redx165

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (wwinterj @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 23:39)
It's all opinion.

It's not opinion until you explain why. Its fanboyism

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users