Photo

I need a new show to watch.

49 replies to this topic
Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

Give me the power, I beg of you!

• Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Supernatural! If you like Demons and Monsters then you will love Supernatural! I possibly love it more than Breaking Bad... Sorry GTA-King. smile.gif

hobointheyard
  • hobointheyard

IV > V

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Flight180Victm @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 09:09)
Supernatural! If you like Demons and Monsters then you will love Supernatural! I possibly love it more than Breaking Bad... Sorry GTA-King. smile.gif

This aswell! One of the best shows!

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

Please watch Arrested Development. Gem of a show and underrated.

Don't watch Heroes. It sucks hard after season 2. Seriously don't bother.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

Fringe and Arrow are pretty good.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Born to Lose, Live to Win

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Give Nip/Tuck a try, or Prison Break. i always loved those two shows.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

You should definitely watch South Park. It's better than all those animated shows you listed combined imo (okay, that may be an exaggeration, but you get the idea).

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Entourage, Miami Vice, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Seinfeld, The Sopranos, The Wire, Nip/Tuck, How to Make it in America, SouthLAnd, The Office (US and, hell, chuck in the UK one too), Arrested Development, Magic City.

Thank me later. wink.gif

EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

Have you ever watched That 70's Show? It's pretty funny, and every episode is on Netflix. (I have watched them all tounge.gif )

You're never too old for Spongebob! (Okay, I'm admitting it... I still watch it from time to time blush.gif )

I used to watch the show called Cheers. It's kind of old, but it's pretty good.

A lot of people on here seem to enjoy Breaking Bad, so try that.

The CSI series are popular.

Dexter is supposedly good. (Never seen it though)

Sorry, I don't really watch TV much anymore, so I don't have very many recommendations.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:12 AM Edited by Spuds725, 19 June 2013 - 12:14 AM.

I'll try not to repeat ones already mentioned....

These are all pretty much Sci Fi---

Smallville (Superman as a teen/young adult-- done very well)

Sliders (Netflix)

Quantum leap (Netflix)

Star Trek: Any (Netflix)

Battlestar Galactica (the new series-- not the original) (Netflix)

Comedy--

Malcolm in the Middle (Netflix)

Everyone Hates Chris

Cop Show

Criminal Minds

(I also recomend the previously mentioned-- Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, The Office, South Park (Brilliant when not overly disgusting)

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Shrimp Fried Rice

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

Dexter is amazing so far.
I haven't started to re-watch Lost yet.
The office was not that good, stopped watching.
Chuck is cool
Haven't watched Seinfeld or Married with children yet.
And Twisted is kind off meh, but still watchable.
I also recently started watching Californication, do you see tits in every episode? blush.gif

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:16 PM Edited by I So Brink, 22 June 2013 - 09:22 PM.

There are a lot of crazy people up in here. Let me set a few things straight.

Watch Game of Thrones, right the f*ck away. Do not look anything up online (even the GTAF thread). Unless you want to read the books, there are spoilers everywhere. I know of only one assuredly safe place to discuss just the show online, and that's behind a paywall.

Watch Heroes. Get to the end of the first series. Stop. Just stop. I don't know what the f*ck happened there.

Check out the UK Office, then the US Office. In that order. You might feel like you're retreading ground in the US version before it diverges but it's worth doing.

Band of Brothers, get on that sh*t. As far as I'm concerned it's the best thing HBO have done. I fnaything, it should be lauded simply for bringing Damian Lewis to major attention, which in turn leads me to...

Homeland was the best new show of 2011 by far. It kind of goes off the rails a little by season 2, but season 1 is absolutely solid. I fyou like intrigue and ambiguity, you'll enjoy Homeland. It's the antithesis of a slowburner; the ratio of episodes to "Holy f*ck! That just happened!" moments is unprecedented.

Definitely see the first two series of Red Dwarf if you like old school British comedy. Beyond that, opinion varies wildly. Personally I like pretty much all the original series, but totally get why some people don't like the later ones.

You might want to give Seinfeld a miss. A bunch of people will call me out on this, but for people who were born in the 90s a lot of Seinfeld will a bit clichéd and unoriginal. Because it was such a trendsetter in the world of sitcoms, a good amount of the things that made it so monumental at the time are lost when removed from the context. Its own success has killed its legacy, essentially.

And for a personal recommendation, I just yesterday wrapped up the first series of The Wire and I would definitely recommend it. If you want a detailed analysis of what I thought, I've included something I wrote on it for a blog below. If you don't want to experience my high-and-mighty, who-does-this-guy-think-he-is bullsh*t, pretend the space below is actually filled with this humorous picture of an emu with a silly name.

user posted image

Quality TV in is fast becoming the most consumed and talked about artform of this decade. Game of Thrones is smashing records, both legal and nautical, every time it shows its face. Breaking Bad is ready to set the internet alight with its final eight episodes come the end of summer. Even the way TV is being made is changing, with Netflix getting in on the action with House of Cards and the latest season of Arrested Development. Both shows took the new approach of releasing all episodes at once for you to choose your own pace: watch one a week when you get time, one every night for a week or two, or do what I do and binge through them all in a weekend.

Even with the recent loss of the greatly talented James Gandolfini, you can see how quality programming has dug its feet in. This was a man who was in a film just last year that received five Oscar nominations (Zero Dark Thirty) among numerous massively successful films, but every single mention of him has forgone all them to describe him as "Sopranos star James Gandolfini".

It's, now "classic", shows like The Sopranos that today's TV owes its existence to. The early 2000s set the precedent, and 2002 gave us one of the most influential shows when HBO debuted The Wire.

The Wire, when boiled down to the bare minimum, is a cat-and-mouse drama set in the crime and drug riddled city of Baltimore. The extensive cast of characters come mostly from two sides: the cops and one of the city's many drug gangs. But to say it's a black and white, clear cut story of cops chasing robbers is a disservice to how grey The Wire gets. Nobody is a fully blown bad guy or good guy, but there are a few that are close to the extremes on both sides. Essentially, the people you end up rooting for aren't those on the right side of the law but the people who are trying to do the best for themselves and their friends given the restrictions of the world they inhabit.

Characterisation is where the show truly shines. It's a credit to the shows writers that the frankly huge cast (only a fraction of whom are in the artwork above) all seem to be developed at least to some degree of believability in just 13 episodes. So often in any medium, be it TV, film or books, you get characters who exist solely to perform one action that moves the plot forward. But here, even if that's the only reason a character exists, they're at least fleshed out to be interesting enough that you don't notice.

Apparently, my favourite from the roster is shared with President Obama himself in Omar Little. Imagine your typical gay, black drug dealer character and Omar will subvert it. This is one scary motherf*cker, and I don't mean that creepy type of scary that lazy writers will use to try and make a gay character scary. Omar literally gets people running from the streets when he makes an appearance because they know that he, along with his trademark shotgun and whistled theme tune, has come to town to cause some bad sh*t for some unlucky people. Despite being an armed robber by trade he has a strict adherence to a code of honour and it's these sort of almost contradicting traits that make him one of the best characters to watch on screen.

Not only that, Omar has the best single line of the series, and Michael K Williams absolutely nails it.

The tradeoff of focussing so heavily on characters is pacing. You have to go all in with a show like The Wire because the payoff is great but you're going to be waiting a while to get there. This isn't Homeland where every episode has a 50% chance of having an "Oh holy sh*t!" moment; there's a handful in the season but they are so much more worth it. It's for this reason that I'd recommend the binge approach for this show. I watched all 13 episodes of the first series over the course of four nights (because I have no life) and even then I had to stop for a minute at least once per episode to remind myself who had done what and what had happened. Slow, steady pacing and a cast that'd fill a coach isn't a recipe that comes out best when cooked over 13 weeks.

If you haven't clicked on by this point: I really, really like The Wire and thank it for everything it's responsible for in the modern TV landscape. And if that's not enough for you the show even managed to get the famously sarcastic and pessimistic Charlie Brooker to just sit back and say "It is just f*cking brilliant".

assmillk
  • assmillk

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

arrested development
Louie
wilfred

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

Definetly try The Office, Seinfeld, and Modern Family.

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Shrimp Fried Rice

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (I So Brink @ Saturday, Jun 22 2013, 23:16)
There are a lot of crazy people up in here. Let me set a few things straight.

Watch Game of Thrones, right the f*ck away. Do not look anything up online (even the GTAF thread). Unless you want to read the books, there are spoilers everywhere. I know of only one assuredly safe place to discuss just the show online, and that's behind a paywall.

Watch Heroes. Get to the end of the first series. Stop. Just stop. I don't know what the f*ck happened there.

Check out the UK Office, then the US Office. In that order. You might feel like you're retreading ground in the US version before it diverges but it's worth doing.

Band of Brothers, get on that sh*t. As far as I'm concerned it's the best thing HBO have done. I fnaything, it should be lauded simply for bringing Damian Lewis to major attention, which in turn leads me to...

Homeland was the best new show of 2011 by far. It kind of goes off the rails a little by season 2, but season 1 is absolutely solid. I fyou like intrigue and ambiguity, you'll enjoy Homeland. It's the antithesis of a slowburner; the ratio of episodes to "Holy f*ck! That just happened!" moments is unprecedented.

Definitely see the first two series of Red Dwarf if you like old school British comedy. Beyond that, opinion varies wildly. Personally I like pretty much all the original series, but totally get why some people don't like the later ones.

You might want to give Seinfeld a miss. A bunch of people will call me out on this, but for people who were born in the 90s a lot of Seinfeld will a bit clichéd and unoriginal. Because it was such a trendsetter in the world of sitcoms, a good amount of the things that made it so monumental at the time are lost when removed from the context. Its own success has killed its legacy, essentially.

And for a personal recommendation, I just yesterday wrapped up the first series of The Wire and I would definitely recommend it. If you want a detailed analysis of what I thought, I've included something I wrote on it for a blog below. If you don't want to experience my high-and-mighty, who-does-this-guy-think-he-is bullsh*t, pretend the space below is actually filled with this humorous picture of an emu with a silly name.

user posted image

Quality TV in is fast becoming the most consumed and talked about artform of this decade. Game of Thrones is smashing records, both legal and nautical, every time it shows its face. Breaking Bad is ready to set the internet alight with its final eight episodes come the end of summer. Even the way TV is being made is changing, with Netflix getting in on the action with House of Cards and the latest season of Arrested Development. Both shows took the new approach of releasing all episodes at once for you to choose your own pace: watch one a week when you get time, one every night for a week or two, or do what I do and binge through them all in a weekend.

Even with the recent loss of the greatly talented James Gandolfini, you can see how quality programming has dug its feet in. This was a man who was in a film just last year that received five Oscar nominations (Zero Dark Thirty) among numerous massively successful films, but every single mention of him has forgone all them to describe him as "Sopranos star James Gandolfini".

It's, now "classic", shows like The Sopranos that today's TV owes its existence to. The early 2000s set the precedent, and 2002 gave us one of the most influential shows when HBO debuted The Wire.

The Wire, when boiled down to the bare minimum, is a cat-and-mouse drama set in the crime and drug riddled city of Baltimore. The extensive cast of characters come mostly from two sides: the cops and one of the city's many drug gangs. But to say it's a black and white, clear cut story of cops chasing robbers is a disservice to how grey The Wire gets. Nobody is a fully blown bad guy or good guy, but there are a few that are close to the extremes on both sides. Essentially, the people you end up rooting for aren't those on the right side of the law but the people who are trying to do the best for themselves and their friends given the restrictions of the world they inhabit.

Characterisation is where the show truly shines. It's a credit to the shows writers that the frankly huge cast (only a fraction of whom are in the artwork above) all seem to be developed at least to some degree of believability in just 13 episodes. So often in any medium, be it TV, film or books, you get characters who exist solely to perform one action that moves the plot forward. But here, even if that's the only reason a character exists, they're at least fleshed out to be interesting enough that you don't notice.

Apparently, my favourite from the roster is shared with President Obama himself in Omar Little. Imagine your typical gay, black drug dealer character and Omar will subvert it. This is one scary motherf*cker, and I don't mean that creepy type of scary that lazy writers will use to try and make a gay character scary. Omar literally gets people running from the streets when he makes an appearance because they know that he, along with his trademark shotgun and whistled theme tune, has come to town to cause some bad sh*t for some unlucky people. Despite being an armed robber by trade he has a strict adherence to a code of honour and it's these sort of almost contradicting traits that make him one of the best characters to watch on screen.

Not only that, Omar has the best single line of the series, and Michael K Williams absolutely nails it.

The tradeoff of focussing so heavily on characters is pacing. You have to go all in with a show like The Wire because the payoff is great but you're going to be waiting a while to get there. This isn't Homeland where every episode has a 50% chance of having an "Oh holy sh*t!" moment; there's a handful in the season but they are so much more worth it. It's for this reason that I'd recommend the binge approach for this show. I watched all 13 episodes of the first series over the course of four nights (because I have no life) and even then I had to stop for a minute at least once per episode to remind myself who had done what and what had happened. Slow, steady pacing and a cast that'd fill a coach isn't a recipe that comes out best when cooked over 13 weeks.

If you haven't clicked on by this point: I really, really like The Wire and thank it for everything it's responsible for in the modern TV landscape. And if that's not enough for you the show even managed to get the famously sarcastic and pessimistic Charlie Brooker to just sit back and say "It is just f*cking brilliant".

Great, thank you for taking the time to replying. smile.gif

I will definitely check out Heroes and The Wire.

I watched a few episodes of The Office, but I didn't really like the "format" it's filmed in so I couldn't enjoy it.

Game of Thrones I know a lot of people love this show, but I don't get it. I'm not a big fan of these kind of shows.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

24. All 8 seasons and the movie that takes place between seasons 6 and 7 are on Netflix. Greatest show of all time. Game of Thrones, Dexter, and House are also in my top 5.

I'm about to start watching The Wire today. We'll see how it is.

Jukka095
  • Jukka095

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:04 AM Edited by Jukka095, 22 July 2013 - 08:22 PM.

Seinfeld, best comedy show ever.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well I started watching The Wire yesterday and I'm enjoying it. I watched the first 7 episodes.

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Shrimp Fried Rice

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 19:41)
24. All 8 seasons and the movie that takes place between seasons 6 and 7 are on Netflix. Greatest show of all time. Game of Thrones, Dexter, and House are also in my top 5.

I'm about to start watching The Wire today. We'll see how it is.

Cool thanks.
I watched the first episode of 24 and I like it, i'm gonna try The Wire too, but I don't think I will like it tbh.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

I simply cannot believe you have not watched Seinfeld. Most original, cleverest sitcom ever, and unlike most other Sitcoms, it ended while it was still original, the final season was the highest rating. It got more and more popular until the end, and they ended it before it got crappy, you'll find after watching Seinfeld, things in real life that happen are exactly like Seinfeld, it happens to me on a daily basis. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you get a feel for it, it's a classic. I can watch any episode, any day and be content, before you watch a different comedy show, start with Seinfeld.

If you're looking for another Sitcom, Modern Family is a good new addition. But Seinfeld should definitely be your first choice, no argument at all.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Well I finished Season 1 of The Wire and I'm 2 episodes into Season 2. Loving it so far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users