Photo

Your opinion on this realistic feature

25 replies to this topic
shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

I read the usa today article about GTA V.
It points out what we heard and read elsewhere already:

When we switch to another protagonists, he will live his life. F.E. And the characters won't be sitting idle when they aren't on screen, says Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies. "The player might switch to Michael as he's shopping with his wife, or to Trevor as he's being chased by the cops, or Franklin as he's chilling in front of the TV. The player might then take Franklin out to rescue Michael from the shops and go for a drink, or help Trevor deal with the cops."
source: http://www.usatoday....etails/2127429/

What's your opinion on that?

I mean, it's cool. It's realistic, it gives us opportunities. I guess the very first time it will be funny as f*ck. But I have a feeling that it can also turn out to be annoying. Let's say, you have your favourite weapon, car, safehouse, clothes, whatever you customize about your player...how will this switching affect it?

Like, we know Michael drives this Sentinel XS. Will he stick to that while switching? It can go further, like, if he lives a scripted life, will he only stick to things Rockstar wrote for the character?

I just hope our individual customization of the player doesn't vanish by that switching. Like, Rockstar heavily scripted missions in TLAD. I often took a different bike than the Hexer to a mission, sometimes even a car. Yet we got forced to that very Hexer after a cutscene.

trevors685
  • trevors685

poo poo head

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Highly doubtful..

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (trevors685 @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 13:43)
Highly doubtful..

What exactly do you doubt?

trevors685
  • trevors685

poo poo head

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Personally, it sounds too good to be true. I think when you change characters, the game will just spawn him in a random, yet typical place doing something normal like driving or watching tv.

alex3
  • alex3

\m/ o_o \m/

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Well, i want to explore this game by myself the first time i play it, and i dont want to suddenly find myself flying a plane or in a carchase when switching to another character at this point.

Macabro
  • Macabro

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

I hope not.

I drive lawfully whenever I can (Outside of missions) and so I tend to keep a car I like for a long time.

I have one mustang convertible from GTAIV that I kept throughout the whole game.

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Good question, OP. I guess we will be able to keep the clothes.. if we aren't controlling him for a certain amount of time. But if we don't play as or switch over to Michael for like one week or longer (ingame), his clothes might have changed (to the default ones?) and his cars as well?

Of course it's for the best if that doesn't happen.

lightningun
  • lightningun

...Rage...

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

OP, nothing to worry about, I think this is actually a great opportunity to show us active and stuff we might not know are in the game, iv had so many features I didn't know about till recenty, I don't think R* would code them to ruin your customized and saved items that would make customization redundant.

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

I personally don't like the idea of say, spawning into Trevor in free roam, outside of a mission and he's in the middle of a drug war.

In free roam I want to relax and do my own thing, not have the game force me into these situations.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (shadyslady @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 13:40)
I read the usa today article about GTA V.
It points out what we heard and read elsewhere already:

When we switch to another protagonists, he will live his life. F.E. And the characters won't be sitting idle when they aren't on screen, says Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies. "The player might switch to Michael as he's shopping with his wife, or to Trevor as he's being chased by the cops, or Franklin as he's chilling in front of the TV. The player might then take Franklin out to rescue Michael from the shops and go for a drink, or help Trevor deal with the cops."
source: http://www.usatoday....etails/2127429/

What's your opinion on that?

I mean, it's cool. It's realistic, it gives us opportunities. I guess the very first time it will be funny as f*ck. But I have a feeling that it can also turn out to be annoying. Let's say, you have your favourite weapon, car, safehouse, clothes, whatever you customize about your player...how will this switching affect it?

Like, we know Michael drives this Sentinel XS. Will he stick to that while switching? It can go further, like, if he lives a scripted life, will he only stick to things Rockstar wrote for the character?

I just hope our individual customization of the player doesn't vanish by that switching. Like, Rockstar heavily scripted missions in TLAD. I often took a different bike than the Hexer to a mission, sometimes even a car. Yet we got forced to that very Hexer after a cutscene.

I really don't see how it would effect customization. What you speak of in TLAD is a cutsence/mission placement. Besides, that your own damn fault for driving a cage to gang business , I understand the annoyance of switching bikes though but I guess the story really wants Johnny on that sweet ass Hexer that he is so proud of. On the matter of character switching, I doubt they would reset or take your garaged car. I think Rockstar understands the annoyance in that matter.

Kevert
  • Kevert

Ain't criminality exhilarating?

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (aaronimpact @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 15:14)
I personally don't like the idea of say, spawning into Trevor in free roam, outside of a mission and he's in the middle of a drug war.

In free roam I want to relax and do my own thing, not have the game force me into these situations.

This icon14.gif

Backfire6
  • Backfire6

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I would hate this. Randomly end up flying a plane or driving...I don't want to be surprised when switching over. I don't like surprises, especially in a GTA. Or switch over and I'm half dead during a shootout, if I'm surprised or startled I may end up instantly dying right there.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Backfire6 @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 16:04)
I would hate this. Randomly end up flying a plane or driving...I don't want to be surprised when switching over. I don't like surprises, especially in a GTA. Or switch over and I'm half dead during a shootout, if I'm surprised or startled I may end up instantly dying right there.

... Guess that is the flaw of this design. People want to do what people want to do.

bfett21
  • bfett21

The scourge of Carpathia

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

I like the idea, will have to see how it plays out, I doubt they are going to drop you into someone with no health though rolleyes.gif

Leafy Hollow
  • Leafy Hollow

Chief Marketing Officer for Trevor Phillip's Interprise

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

Love it, it will make this game even more amazing.

RemiClarke
  • RemiClarke

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Wonder how long it will take for the transitions to get a little stale. Aslong as their is a variety I think it's great idea; how well it's executed, we'll have to wait to see.

dxbrandon
  • dxbrandon

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Glad this is finally happening.

HoleInTheSky
  • HoleInTheSky

Dullard

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:04 PM Edited by HoleInTheSky, 10 June 2013 - 05:07 PM.

It's unreasonable to be thrown into a high-octane police chase when you switch characters, only to be bound to the chase, considering that you're unable to switch back once you have a wanted level, and we don't know how tough the cops, and wanted system, will be.

To run the risk of having to evade a hoard of law enforcers only because I switched characters, would be enough of a deterrent to not switch.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (aaronimpact @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 09:14)

icon14.gif

Now, if this happens at set times during a storyline, I'm OK with that. I'm figuring each player is going to have his own stuff, and you might customize his weapon inventory to his strengths.

Doing this with player characters is something I'm just going to have to wait and see about. I really like the idea of NPCs actually doing things outside of cutscenes, even to where they can get killed etc. like Skyrim, Fallout etc. It can be frustrating when they die permanently, and they can due to bugs and AI quirks but this brings a game world to life to me. It seems silly, but actually having them eat and sleep at certain times, going outside and traveling somewhere, it makes digital people just a little more human, and the player character isn't necessarily bound to the same routine. Flavor can be just as important to these types of games as the gameplay itself.

Besides, it's fun to wake a merchant out of his bed in Fallout 3 because it's 4 a.m. and you need a rocket launcher.

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (Nameless Foot Soldier @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 15:31)
I really don't see how it would effect customization. What you speak of in TLAD is a cutsence/mission placement. Besides, that your own damn fault for driving a cage to gang business , I understand the annoyance of switching bikes though but I guess the story really wants Johnny on that sweet ass Hexer that he is so proud of. On the matter of character switching, I doubt they would reset or take your garaged car. I think Rockstar understands the annoyance in that matter.

About Johnny:

Sure he is a biker in an outlaw mc and meant to ride his personal bike. And that Rockstar switches from a car to a bike, once you start a mission. But still, this kind of scripted event isn't one I appreciate.

You can't even ride another, maybe rare bike, to your mission. Like, you get a nightblade, drive all the way up to Bohan to do missions for Elizabeta, only to find your rare bike is gone after the initial cutscene and Johnny is back on his Hexer.
At the very beginning of the game it also says "this is Johnny's bike, it's the only one like that in LC..." which is bollocks.

A Hexer usually always spawns at the safehouse(s) and you start with it at the beginning of missions. There are also Hexers in the streets, parked. And apart from the paintjob, the performance of the bike is always the same. Speaking of the paint job, you can even get Johnny's paint job at a pay n spray I think.

The Hexer isn't too bad, still it's not my favourite bike. I'd even prefer the regular Zombie from GTA IV.

About GTA V:
It's realistic, some kind of realism at least, having them three protagonists living their lives. I hope the customization doesn't suffer here. Let's say, you play as Trevor, get yourself your favourite car, e.g. a Sabre GT, you customize it the way you want, you dress Trevor the way you want. Then you switch to another character. Then back to Trevor, only to find him in some deserted place, with a different look and without your precious car. I hope Rockstar didn't screw this up.

Or if we play one of the trinity, do side missions, sub stories, then go to a "main mission" with all three involved and they look completely different from how we customized them.
Many people complained about that in GTA IV. That Johnny, Niko and Luis look how Rockstar wanted it. Niko is always dressed i his default clothes or the grey suit. Luis and Johnny in default clothes.

I'm not too worried about the clothes that way, I mean, I would stick to default clothes anyway. But since we know we got much more customization possibilites this time, I'd try them and hope they will stick to the player.

Talon724
  • Talon724

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

rockstar better dont mess this up.

junkpile
  • junkpile

Liberty City, it's over! Next Stop. Los Santos.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Talon724 @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 15:20)
rockstar better dont mess this up.

Sure thing.

It certainly will be something new, having all three living their lives. But you're right, what effect will it have on customization?

We steal our favourite car, switch to another protagonist only to find the car is gone when switching back. Even if we save it in a garage, let's assume we play Trevor, get ourselves a Sabre Gt, customize it, save it and stay at the safehouse.
We sitch to Franklin and back to Trevor and he's at the other side of the map, naked and w/o the car.

What's the sense of customization then? I hope R* didn't screw this up, you're right.
No need for the hotrod or custom clothes too, if the characters do what they want if we ain't playing them.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think people are exaggerating

If you spawn as Trevor mid chase, it won't be a five star one but a Single cop on a misdemeanour, easy to outrun
Michael will be shopping (I actually want to complete that activity to see what happens) and we can just split (Amanda: f*ck off then, I'd rather spend you money on my own)
All this talk that the game will force stuff on you is silly; you think we'll switch to franklin who's robbing a store? Actually I like the sound of that but we wont switch into something big
It'll be a small scripted side activity, and I like the sound if it
I like knowing that I could be going into a sleepy tv situation or an arguement (I expect to see a lot of these when switching into Michael) or a fight

They might even make it like the sims, where you can turn off 'free will'

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 10:33)
I think people are exaggerating

If you spawn as Trevor mid chase, it won't be a five star one but a Single cop on a misdemeanour, easy to outrun
Michael will be shopping (I actually want to complete that activity to see what happens) and we can just split (Amanda: f*ck off then, I'd rather spend you money on my own)
All this talk that the game will force stuff on you is silly; you think we'll switch to franklin who's robbing a store? Actually I like the sound of that but we wont switch into something big
It'll be a small scripted side activity, and I like the sound if it
I like knowing that I could be going into a sleepy tv situation or an arguement (I expect to see a lot of these when switching into Michael) or a fight

They might even make it like the sims, where you can turn off 'free will'

I agree with this. It will just be minor situations that you can just walk away from. and if you switch to someone and they don't have your favourite car immediately. Well how much of a hardship is that really? You could just steal another one, and then go and drive back to your garage where you left your customised car. I doubt they'll deviate from their little areas. Michael will most likely always be in Hollywood or whatever, and even if they do happen to be on the other side of the map, you could just take a taxi home. It's not like it's a massive imposition, and i think it adds to the immersion. I think it will be great to think i wonder what Franklin's up to and know he won't just be standing at his house like a robot waiting for you.

Also it will be great to be able to actually go and find the other two characters doing their thing on the map, so you could be driving up to Salton Sea and then all of a sudden you see a police chase speeding towards you, only to realise it's Trevor being chased by cops and driving like a maniac.. Nobody can tell me that wouldn't be awesome.

It sounds like an awesome feature to me.

mas negro
  • mas negro

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Just watched the trailer and I might get a lot of hate but I HATE IT.

I HATE the fact I switch and Michael deals withhis fat son.
I HATE the fact I switch and Trevor has 6 stars wanted level.

I know, I have to accept it. Still, for now, I HATE IT.

KingJames37
  • KingJames37

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think the characters will keep customizations we choose for them, except in extreme cases, like trevor waking up in his underwear... but the clothes you have for him will still be available. Also when you customize a car for one of them, they will continue to either drive it around, or park it in their garage or leave it in the appropriate place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users