Quantcast

» «
Photo

Xbox One AND PS4 both have DRM check ups.

48 replies to this topic
Bernard Jazz
  • Bernard Jazz

Dud dats not gas, dats a chikn.

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

The problem is that this sets a precedent for consumer rights.
If people just bend over and allow companies to fiscally fist them then the trend is going to continue. Microsoft are clearly catering towards developers and publishers this gen by allowing them to milk the last lumpy dribble of profit from a products tit.

Consumers will be screwed over:
  • If your internet connection is cut off for an extended period, you essentially have an ovepriced bluray player.
  • The odds of discounted games in the online store are slim if they have a firm stranglehold over the used games market.
  • The servers won't stay up indefinitely, there will come a time where the "Xbone" won't be capable of playing games.

It's fair enough to argue the same about Steam, but they offset it somewhat with their massive discounts, Steam work shop (mod support), extensive list of demo's, ability to play games offline and even free games. Valve do at least acknowledge the consumer whereas Microsoft show blatant disregard.

I hope their console fails spectacularly.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:23 AM Edited by ChatterBoxFM, 10 June 2013 - 09:13 AM.

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 00:24)
Can someone explain to me why not-always-on DRM bothers you so much? I get the resistance to the always-on types that means people with dodgy or intermittent internet connections can't game much of the time, but what's so intrusive about the "register once, play forever" approach unless your aim is to subvert the terms of the EULA or engage in piracy? To be honest, in my view it won't be too long until the entire console marketplace is a Steam-like entity where everything is delivered digitally.

You know those guys that have been in prison for so long they don't want to leave? It';s sotra like that.

Just because someone is doing it doesn't mean it's right or the best thing for them. they have been menipulated into thinking that way.

EA has been voted worst company TWO years in a row because of the selfish, greedy business tactics they implemented in their games.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 18:22)
QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 10:08)
Sivispacem: You've always struck me as someone who lives in a selfish little bubble, but you know what? A lot of people don't, and their choices have consequences.

What, I'm selfish because I don't understand why people object to having to register products once in order to use them? Care to explain this? It's pretty common with most goods and services.

You don't have to register books, DVDs, CDs, toys, clothes, furniture, appliances, TVs, electronics, etc... What makes video games so special?

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (Dick Valor @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 18:33)
Sivispacem: You've always struck me as someone who lives in a selfish little bubble, but you know what? A lot of people don't, and their choices have consequences.

What, I'm selfish because I don't understand why people object to having to register products once in order to use them? Care to explain this? It's pretty common with most goods and services.

You don't have to register books, DVDs, CDs, toys, clothes, furniture, appliances, TVs, electronics, etc... What makes video games so special?

Good points, it doesn't really make Sivis a selfish person though, simply because he doesn't mind the DRM.

Saliva
  • Saliva

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

I think PS3 had DRM for games, just none of the developers really used it.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 08:11)

Good points, it doesn't really make Sivis a selfish person though, simply because he doesn't mind the DRM.

I never said anything about him being selfish, but he is wrong that "most goods and services" require a form of user registration.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Dick Valor @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 19:30)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 08:11)

I never said anything about him being selfish, but he is wrong that "most goods and services" require a form of user registration.

I didn't think you did, I was using your points to reply to Joseph X who most likely has similar points and implied them when he called Sivis selfish, I was wondering how those Implied points which you outlined made Sivis selfish/warranted calling him out for it.

Sorry If I confused.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

On PC we have this since 2008-09, since the rise of Steam and majority got used to it, seems like they aren't giving a damn about inability to resell games. And contrary to your beliefs, PC market has been only rising since.

That's why people like kudoboi or sivispacem aren't selfish - they just got used to it after many years. And you will too.

Statements like:
If gaming industry push their customers too far then people would just stop playing games, after all that is just not that important in life.

are ridiculous. Addicts Gamers would rather adapt than ditch. + see my PC gaming example above.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 08:01)
On PC we have this since 2008-09, since the rise of Steam and majority got used to it, seems like they aren't giving a damn about inability to resell games. And contrary to your beliefs, PC market has been only rising since.

That's why people like kudoboi or sivispacem aren't selfish - they just got used to it after many years. And you will too.

Statements like:
If gaming industry push their customers too far then people would just stop playing games, after all that is just not that important in life.

are ridiculous. Addicts Gamers would rather adapt than ditch. + see my PC gaming example above.

well i already have a PC so why would I buy a new console?

Don_Corleone
  • Don_Corleone

Carpe Diem

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:57 AM

End of gaming lol. I think that in the long term discs will 'disappear' and the steam system will show up on consoles.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

So Sony has said there is no restrictions, no need for online connection and no used game stranglehold.

Easily buying the PS4 now.

The reason the online connection sucks is if I havent turned my console on for 24 hours, I come home and my internet is down, I can't even play f*cking Pac Man. They have your games held hostage. Server downtime, maintenence and issues like that will stop you from playing.

If I buy a game that is online only, that is the choice the developers designed it for, for a good reason. And by buying it I choose to buy into their ideas. But having the console require it makes no sense and is just another way to f*ck us in the ass.

Not that it will be for years now, maybe even a decade, but there WILL come a time where they shut down the servers and support for the Xbox One and then all you have is a paperweight.

It is the principle of it, that I am buying sh*te that I don't even fully own. It may as well just be an on demand streaming service.

We can have singleplayer mixed with multipler right now, it is not that games with persistent worlds can't be done if it doesnt require an internet connection, I mean you are allowed to be offline for 24 hours so the games MUST run without the connect, so why force it?

It is just to control us, so f*ck them, PS4 it is.

Kinda sucks I have to pay for online gaming on PS4 but I have been doing it on 360 for years so there is no issue, being able to play offline and no used games bullsh*t will just kill off the Xbox One unless they change their sh*t real soon.

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

Could we close this? Or atleast edit the OP?

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

Ps4 crushed Xbox 1's specs. Xbox One is down!!!!! I repeat: XBOX ONE IS DOWN!!!!! Quick someone call an ambulance Wii U Wii U Wii U Wii U.

Mr.Mordecai
  • Mr.Mordecai

To be, or not to be. That is the question.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 23:42)
Ps4 crushed Xbox 1's specs. Xbox One is down!!!!! I repeat: XBOX ONE IS DOWN!!!!! Quick someone call an ambulance Wii U Wii U Wii U Wii U.

Oh, how original. sarcasm.gif

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Mr.Mordecai @ Tuesday, Jun 11 2013, 07:44)
QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 23:42)

Oh, how original. sarcasm.gif

Not mine but I did find it funny. Guy in the comments wrote it.

karaokequeen3
  • karaokequeen3

O.A.P.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:49 AM Edited by karaokequeen3, 11 June 2013 - 07:54 AM.

I'll be buying the PS4 out of the principle that a company shouldn't be treating its customers as an afterthought, which seems to be Microsoft's game plan.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

Sony reveals used game policy, crowd goes WILD! E3 2013 -

PlayStation 4 - How You Share Games on PS4 -

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 16:01)

Statements like:

You are not limited even on steam,can always sell your account thanks to the fact that is not limited on only one pc,probably possible with PSN and XLive acc:

http://www.pik.ba/ar...legalna-steama/

And newer games don't make that many addicts anymore.Everybody still talks about FF7 or original Mafia,but not many people really cares about most of the games from last 5-6 years.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

So if we are forced to do something for long enough we will end up liking it? Yeah, if you are a weak minded human. (or American)

He sounds like the government.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users