Quantcast

» «
Photo

Xbox One AND PS4 both have DRM check ups.

48 replies to this topic
ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:56 PM Edited by ChatterBoxFM, 11 June 2013 - 07:57 AM.

EDIT: Only Microflaccid has DRM.

Sony reveals used game policy, crowd goes WILD! E3 2013 -

PlayStation 4 - How You Share Games on PS4 -

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

You do realize that there's topics for both consoles, right?

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

This is a specific topic sarcasm.gif

If you don't have an opinion on it then don't reply.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

This is General Chat. You should of posted it in Gaming Chat. You're actually wrong.

Gaming Chat link: http://www.gtaforums...hp?showforum=36
Official PS4 Topic: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=545932
Official Xbox One topic: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=536391

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

I honestly think they're completely f*cking oblivious. Is it all about the money, or freedom of gaming?

@Sgt.Foley - Oh shut the hell up. Like Chatter said, if you don't have an opinion then leave. This will get moved. Calm your tits down you mop.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Mockage @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 19:25)
I honestly think they're completely f*cking oblivious. Is it all about the money, or freedom of gaming?

@Sgt.Foley - Oh shut the hell up. Like Chatter said, if you don't have an opinion then leave. This will get moved. Calm your tits down you mop.

I need to shut up? Look at your own posts man. Get a life and stop bothering me.

I'll post my opinion when this topic gets moved.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

wow that's the fastest ive seen a thread get trolled

SickBoi
  • SickBoi

Formerly, KFranchise. I wanna change my name back to it tho...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

I say false for the PS4, but if this "rumor" turns out to be true, I'll end up buying a PS4 anyway because XBOX ONE's 24 online connection bullsh*t

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (KFranchise @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 15:35)
I say false for the PS4, but if this "rumor" turns out to be true, I'll end up buying a PS4 anyway because XBOX ONE's 24 online connection bullsh*t

Sony hasn't said yet if they are going to do the same thing tho confused.gif

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 23:38)
QUOTE (KFranchise @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 15:35)

Sony hasn't said yet if they are going to do the same thing tho confused.gif

They said that the console won't need an Internet connection but the experience will be "enriched" with Internet connectivity, obviously referring to multiplayer and other things like Netflix and youtube.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

OK good lol

source if you dont mind?

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 23:48)
OK good lol

source if you dont mind?

Check the gaming section, lol.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 23:48)
OK good lol

source if you dont mind?

Don't remember where I read the enriched experience thing but here are two sources that say it won't be always online
http://www.cinemable...-One-56264.html
http://www.vg247.com...ck-drm-yoshida/

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:12 AM Edited by epoxi, 09 June 2013 - 12:20 AM.

Microsoft have made probably the most confusing set of reveal moves in history.

"No used games without paying full price."

"No used games without paying a price."

"Used games, some you will need to pay."

"No fees for used games...from Microsoft (publishers can if they want to)."

Regardless of how much DRM the XBone actually has, Microsoft have managed to alienate every potential consumer in the space of two weeks.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

I gues Sony was forced by MS. All about the money.
And you know what that mean. They will increase prices by 10-20 € and you cant even buy a cheaper used game...
That means about 80 € for a game. You can get the same PC Game 3 times for that money.

The funny thing is that like 3 years ago they said game would be cheaper if the used game marked wouldnt exist...
Plus the easier development with the advanced PC similar architecture...

Now if EA doesnt announcss 1080p@60fps for BF4 im out and totally in for PC

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

i honestly don't have a huge issue with DRM because im already used to it on PC. i never bought a single used game my entire life and my internet is always stable. however what bugs me and made me make the decision of getting a PS4 is the fact that xbone needs the internet every 24 hours.

theres a good article about this at PA
http://penny-arcade....ied-about-yours

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 08:51)
i honestly don't have a huge issue with DRM because im already used to it on PC. i never bought a single used game my entire life and my internet is always stable. however what bugs me and made me make the decision of getting a PS4 is the fact that xbone needs the internet every 24 hours.

theres a good article about this at PA
http://penny-arcade....ied-about-yours

If PS4 and X1 games would becme as cheap as PC games, I guess noone would complain

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

This topic is going to confuse allot of people.

PS4 does not have DRM and you can use used games.

I will update this link when I have the Source.

Edit:

1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.
2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.
3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store or remote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.
4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection.

Source:
http://www.cinemable...-One-56264.html

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (ClaudeSpeed1911 @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 09:40)
This topic is going to confuse allot of people.

PS4 does not have DRM and you can use used games.

I will update this link when I have the Source.

If publishers have the option they will do it... simple as that. EA did not cancel their online pass system for no reason

you should btw read the actuall interview of that article. theres no confirmation at all

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (kudoboi @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 06:51)
i honestly don't have a huge issue with DRM because im already used to it on PC. i never bought a single used game my entire life and my internet is always stable.

This is the I'm-so-f*cking-cool-and-my-sh*t's-better-than-your-sh*t attitude that MS will be hoping saves its ass next gen. It's a lack of empathy and fellowship that in part comes from the competitive nature of gaming, but also is promoted by the manufacturers. They aren't just selling software - they are selling attitudes.

"E.A. Sports...s'in the game!" EA has said that in the same hard ass tone of voice at the end of its sports game commercials, ever since they went online multiplayer. What does it mean? It means I f*cked you over but it's OK because "It's in the game"

Seriously, some people need to step out of their selfish little 'f*ck you' bubble and see the bigger picture. Games are popular because you can share them. I have games that were given to me, and the only reason that I have them is because they were free - Godfather II, Assassins Creed I, Fable 2. Because I got AC1 for free, I found I liked it and bought ACII new (as part of a trade in of old games) and Brotherhood (new) and pre-ordered AC: Revelations.

When you multiply this by the millions of people in the world who share games, you start to think that maybe a large reason these games are getting made is because of sharing. If I didn't get AC1 for free, I wouldn't have bought any of the others in the series.

Sorry kudoboi, but attitudes like yours are making a lot of people abandon hope for the future of video games.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Faceless, Nameless, Endless War

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

Can someone explain to me why not-always-on DRM bothers you so much? I get the resistance to the always-on types that means people with dodgy or intermittent internet connections can't game much of the time, but what's so intrusive about the "register once, play forever" approach unless your aim is to subvert the terms of the EULA or engage in piracy? To be honest, in my view it won't be too long until the entire console marketplace is a Steam-like entity where everything is delivered digitally.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

@sivispacem

It bothers me because if I wanted to take my console with me on a vacation then I won't be able to play my games if there was no internet since we must to go online everu 24 hours or because my internet might stop working so that means I can't play it whenever I want.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

This is the same as this generation, the publishers could enforce drm if they chose to, like.EA.
This time there is checkups, that sucks, Microsoft have to tone down the frequency, 24 hourly is f*cking bullsh*t, my internet has gone out for longer periods than that many many times.

I'm not sure of the legitimacy of Sony having it though

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 08:24)
Can someone explain to me why not-always-on DRM bothers you so much? I get the resistance to the always-on types that means people with dodgy or intermittent internet connections can't game much of the time, but what's so intrusive about the "register once, play forever" approach unless your aim is to subvert the terms of the EULA or engage in piracy? To be honest, in my view it won't be too long until the entire console marketplace is a Steam-like entity where everything is delivered digitally.

Part of the reason is that people expect some return from their games. If you buy a game for 60-70 euros and later sold it for lets say 30 euros it is easier than buying every game in full price. Hell,most people i know consider me crazy when they hear how much i pay for games. Also,when you pile up some games that you wont play anymore what you gonna do with them,throw them into garbage?After you pay them that much. Not even give them as birthday present becouse they are locked. And also people buying and selling things since stone age, why would games be so different? Nobody complains when people sold their old cars, cellphones,TVs, furniture,even gaming consoles. Hey,i sold my PS2 so i can buy PS3. And also even if they go fully online people find ways,i know people sold their Origin and Steam accounts with games on them,or PSN and Xlive acc so that other people could DL games on their consoles.
If gaming industry push their customers too far then people would just stop playing games, after all that is just not that important in life.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (acmilano @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 08:49)
If gaming industry push their customers too far then people would just stop playing games, after all that is just not that important in life.

This right here.

Some games - many games - are only worth getting for free or at massive discounts. It's also important that you can get rid of games you don't want anymore. That's what people factor in when they buy a game. Those are choices that are being taken away and will have massive implications for future sales.

Sivispacem: You've always struck me as someone who lives in a selfish little bubble, but you know what? A lot of people don't, and their choices have consequences.

corvettelover
  • corvettelover

Still D.R.E.

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:54 PM Edited by corvettelover, 09 June 2013 - 05:59 PM.

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 09:08)
QUOTE (acmilano @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 08:49)

This right here.

Some games - many games - are only worth getting for free or at massive discounts. It's also important that you can get rid of games you don't want anymore. That's what people factor in when they buy a game. Those are choices that are being taken away and will have massive implications for future sales.

Sivispacem: You've always struck me as someone who lives in a selfish little bubble, but you know what? A lot of people don't, and their choices have consequences.

Don't get sh*tty games then?

I really don't see this as a huge deal, especially since the majority of console gamers play MP games anyways which obviously requires a network connection.

Shame Steam got so big almost, since they made internet "DRM" okay in most peoples eyes, if you're okay with Steam/Origin/Uplay then what is the issue? I assume a large portion of GTAForums users play PC games, so you should be used to this stuff, atleast XB/PS will be better from that standpoint.

Not saying it isn't stupid, but it isn't half as bad as it was rumored to be, DRM (all of it, including Steam, /uplay/Origin) is dumb since it doesn't combat piracy really, just gives people false reasoning to pirate really.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Faceless, Nameless, Endless War

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 10:08)

What, I'm selfish because I don't understand why people object to having to register products once in order to use them? Care to explain this? It's pretty common with most goods and services.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 18:22)
QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 10:08)

What, I'm selfish because I don't understand why people object to having to register products once in order to use them? Care to explain this? It's pretty common with most goods and services.

but what's so intrusive about the "register once, play forever" approach unless your aim is to subvert the terms of the EULA or engage in piracy?

Because people don't buy games to play them forever. And the reason many of them are willing to pay £40/$60 for a new game is because they can reclaim some of that money back when they've finished it.

in my view it won't be too long until the entire console marketplace is a Steam-like entity where everything is delivered digitally.

Then it won't be the console marketplace anymore. The vast majority of console gamers just want to throw in a game and kick back on the sofa and play it. They aren't so beholden to games that they are willing to make the sacrifices microsoft are asking them to make with the xbox one.

To not be able to see that perpective shows a lack of empathy on par with the people who designed this mess.

Don't get sh*tty games then?

@corvettelover: I won't. I may not risk buying a potentially good game either and neither will many, many others. This is what we are facing - a large number of people saying, "f*ck that, games aren't that important to me". And it's their money that has allowed all the games we have enjoyed over the years to be made.

gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

I don't like sharing my games anyway.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (gtamad8 @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 19:28)
I don't like sharing my games anyway.

Well then the Xbox One is just for you. Enjoy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users