Rushing Through A Games Story

18 replies to this topic
NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

A thread in the GTA IV section made me want to post this.
This doesn't just pertain to GTA but any game.

Scenario: Person waits 2 +years for a game to release. Release day hits. Spends
all day completing the story. Done.

The only two points I can think of are that they may not care for the story
or just want to get trophies and accolades for finishing fast.(I'm sure it happens) I mean yes I will say you could blaze through a
game then absolutely go back and take it slow etc. that's the great thing about games...but still

I feel like you would lose some of the magic of the experience going hyper speed the 1st time.
GTA IV for example took me a few months to complete. Yes months. Same goes for RDR. That may seem extreme but
I'm not going to rush through a game I waited awhile for. All the hype and waiting. It feels so great to me to take my time
(especially with a game like GTA) exploring, and taking in the atmosphere and details.
If you have time why rush?

I'm not knocking on anyone who may do this. Everyone has their own agenda. Could some people actually
enjoy doing it this way? I guess...possibly? Could be time constraints. So many variables (School,jobs etc.).... But for the
person who has all the time in the world ....and still blazes through a game. monocle.gif

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

dat was mad tekkers bruh

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

I go through the story fairly quickly the first time because I get too carried away.

I take it slow at the start, but then half way through I start doing mission after mission to see what unfolds. On all playthroughs after, though, I take it slow.

I don't mean to speed though, it's just something I can't help.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

I hear ya. I don't think there is ever a reason to motor through a game. Well, a story driven game at least. If you are going to be skipping cut scenes and fast traveling to action sequences you might as well just play any old reflex/twitch game like Space Invaders. Actually, Pac Man is the better example there since it is story driven with cut scenes.

My guess is people just do it for bragging rights. Their loss.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

I don't deliberately race through, if i really enjoy the story in a game i will start it, and before i know it hours and hours have raced by and the game is almost done. I do regret it sometimes when i complete a game too fast, although you can replay it you will never recapture that experience of playing it first time.

I remember when i bought LA Noire on release day, i was meant to be going to see my girlfriend at the time that afternoon. I got so involved in the game i text her saying i had been called into work and couldn't see her, and before it knew it i was deep into the second disc. It was only when i got hungry i decided to make some food that i thought "What the f*ck, I've spent all day on this"

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

Sometimes I have to tell myself to slow down otherwise if it's too immersive I wont stop lol.

With most FPSs I play 2 or 3 chapters and with an openworld game I usually do the the same and just free roam. I'm not one to skip cutscenes, but if it's got me hooked I like to see what else unfolds.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

I sometimes find the story too short compared to the other crap that goes on in some games.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Personally I prefer to take it easy and just absorb as much of the experience as I can on my first play through. Achievements and collectables can wait for the next play through. Worrying about such things on your first play through can really taint the experience, and your opinion, of the game.

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

I beat games pretty quick. I beat Far Cry 3 in a week and did mostly everything in the game.

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.

• Members
  • India

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

It depends on the type of game and the difficulty of the missions.

For games like GTA or Assassins Creed, I do some of the missions first and then explore the city. Currently I'm playing through AC: Brotherhood and I'm exploring Rome to get used to the City.

For games like CoD, it depends on the difficulty, if most of the missions are tough, it'll take a longer time to finish whilst the missions are easy it'll take a shorter time to finish. I'd say I'd finish CoD 4 if I played it non stop in about a day and a half depending on the difficulty and some of the missions are quite tough. So it might be longer.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

I always say i wanna take it easy, but i end up getting carried away and then before i realize it im at the end of the story. but thats just me. i cant play one mission per day or per week, i don't enjoy it like that. months, weeks the point is that i enjoy what im playing. if i like a game then ill just keep playing. dont really care how fast or how slow i finish it.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 09:10)
For games like CoD, it depends on the difficulty, if most of the missions are tough, it'll take a longer time to finish whilst the missions are easy it'll take a shorter time to finish. I'd say I'd finish CoD 4 if I played it non stop in about a day and a half depending on the difficulty and some of the missions are quite tough. So it might be longer.

Every Call Of Duty since COD 4 i have completed on veteran, what i do is play through the campaign once on regular difficulty, and i usually finish the story within a day. Then, go back and replay the campaign on veteran. It takes longer on veteran obviously because you can't run around like a madman, but because you have already played the story you know what to do so it isn't as frustrating as doing it blind.

And tell a lie, i have yet to complete Black Ops 2 on veteran.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Never. The more linear a game is, the more time I take with it. Like finding all collectibles, checking every nook & cranny, appreciating every little detail etc. In fact, that last one means I often see behind the smoke & mirrors that make up most video games. I also rarely feel the need for repeated playthroughs.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 13:06)
Never. The more linear a game is, the more time I take with it. Like finding all collectibles, checking every nook & cranny, appreciating every little detail etc. In fact, that last one means I often see behind the smoke & mirrors that make up most video games. I also rarely feel the need for repeated playthroughs.

Same here. I often try to elongate the game by walking the character instead of running.

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.

• Members
  • India

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (tms_junk @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 17:47)
QUOTE (AceKingston @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 09:10)

Every Call Of Duty since COD 4 i have completed on veteran, what i do is play through the campaign once on regular difficulty, and i usually finish the story within a day. Then, go back and replay the campaign on veteran. It takes longer on veteran obviously because you can't run around like a madman, but because you have already played the story you know what to do so it isn't as frustrating as doing it blind.

And tell a lie, i have yet to complete Black Ops 2 on veteran.

The ship mission in CoD 4 was easy on Veteran for some reason, all you had to do was crouch and let the others do the shooting, that was the only mission I played and passed on Veteran. In San Andreas I played six hours non stop to complete Learning to Fly.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (Zancudo @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 13:28)
QUOTE (jamieleng @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 13:06)

Same here. I often try to elongate the game by walking the character instead of running.

I also find out how good their level design is. Like invisible barriers or parts of a level/map that just aren't finished (because they don't expect players to look there). If I were a developer, I'd have a little surprise waiting for people who took the time to admire my work (little Easter eggs).

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

I watch lets plays of games i can't play. I'll watch the majority of it in one day. I guess that counts as rushing through the story.

I take my time with games i own though.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

I don't rush through a game at all. Even if I wanted to I probably couldn't. With games like GTA or AC I tend to get side tracked by the amount of side stories or other sh*t, this usually keeps me entertained before I realise I have a main storyline to complete.

When San Andreas came out, I remember I got it at 8AM and by 5PM I'd just used the little BMX you get during the starting mission and did probably 4 story missions. I had way too much fun on that f*cking bike. So much so, I had full handling on it by the end of the night.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

It really depends on the game, some games have major unlocks only after you complete the game (like playing through Story mode with another, more interesting character). In which case I finish it as fast as possible to unlock these rewards for more fun in the game.

Also, story modes are sometimes strict tutorials and you can't do certain things until you unlock a certain mission and complete that. So I have to do all those missions first to make the game for fun to play.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

When I first buy a game, I play it slowly, take my time, watch all cutscenese but my 2nd go around.. I'll breeze through it.

I used to be the rushing type when I was younger.. GAME GAME GAME GAME. But as you get older, atleast in my case, I rather see what the story has to offer in games and what not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users