Photo

Why Don't People Like GTA IV

60 replies to this topic
cj2400
  • cj2400

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

I always loved GTA IV, in fact it's one of the best games I've ever played. But on these forums there seems to be a lot of hate for it, I'd just like to know why.

roostersrule2
  • roostersrule2

I'm Batman

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

I love it, but I know it sounds weird put people have opinions.

Druffmaul
  • Druffmaul

Dan Is The Bastard

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

There's a lot of hate for it everywhere, across the entire GTA fan base. I myself didn't care much for it the first time I played it, I hated Niko, I hated Roman, I hated all their friends, I hated the driving, I hated the shooting, I hated the social network... but about a year later I decided to replay it and I guess something clicked. I adapted to the superior driving controls and physics, I learned how to master the shooting, the characters all grew on me... I did a complete turn around. After a couple more play thrus it was was favorite GTA. It was one of those things that needed time to be appreciated, to grow on me. It's by far the best GTA in terms of turning you loose in a virtual world. When I look back on the 2008 me who hated it, I think he's a jackass. I honestly feel sorry for people who hate GTA IV. It's their loss.

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

Different opinions I guess, it's my favorite game, until Gta V.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

Do you really expect EVERYONE to like it?

You cant please everyone and remember the minority are usually louder than the majority.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

once you complete it, it gets boring. its repetitive too

it's still better with physics, graphics, driving and shooting though

BigMouthPrick
  • BigMouthPrick

Gta Iv Is better Than San Andreas And Vice city Combined :D

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

because their ignorant assholes who automatically deem it as boring just because it doesn't have some of the unnecessary features san Andreas has and it might be a little bit more realistic than its predecessors personally i think its by far the best GTA so far.

RedDragonsBOOM
  • RedDragonsBOOM

Babes, Bullets, Cars.

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

My only complaint is the money system is purely for burgers,guns, and clothes. I have millions of dollars! GTA V will certainly solve that issue.

THEMANatwar
  • THEMANatwar

Work Hard, Play Hard

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

I don't hate IV, but I dislike the world. The story and characters were great I just felt the city got boring quickly. The openness of SA gave you so much to do rather than just stuck in a city.

bfett21
  • bfett21

The scourge of Carpathia

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

I liked it, took a more serious tone. The expansions were good too. I guess everyone wanted rocket packs and the thug life.

omer19992010
  • omer19992010

Grove Street OG

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

I Loved GTA IV. I liked it more than San Andreas to be honest.

SaVaGe308
  • SaVaGe308

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

People can bitch about it all they want but they still bought the game. That is louder than any complaining anyone does. I liked gta iv. It was a good game. It didnt have nearly as many features as v will have but it did its job. It passed the time while we waited for v!lol Im not a big fan of liberty city. I loved it in gta 3 but in iv i wasnt a huge fan. Im really looking forward to v. Like a said iv was a good game, but it couldnt hold v's jockstrap.

Input
  • Input

Pineapple

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

I liked IV. Albeit it had some annoyances, mainly just the walking/stumbling/falling and maybe the random phone calls. Other than that I thought it was a great game.

tator1
  • tator1

Tator Flowers

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

Too serious for people, and really it didn't bring things that SA had and people got butthurt, people can be childish about video games, but they don't understand the time that is put into it so they bitch and moan but are completely in the dark.

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

Well when GTAIV came out we have never saw physics and graphics like that before (okay maybe crisis was a little bit better) and we looked at what it had which was the best recreation of new york city we have ever seen and great controls and overall game play. It wasn't until a couple of years later that other games were starting to keep up and we noticed how boring the game is. However I felt that way about vice city and san andreas after a little while. Also gta iv still looks pretty good for a game that came out in 2008 the driving was definitely for someone who enjoys racing games and not for 7 year olds who dont realize that you cannot take a corner at 150mph.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:41 AM Edited by redx165, 06 June 2013 - 12:50 AM.

QUOTE (cj2400 @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 00:16)
I always loved GTA IV, in fact it's one of the best games I've ever played. But on these forums there seems to be a lot of hate for it, I'd just like to know why.

I found this: http://www.videogame...ruined_gta.html

It explains why some fans hate it.

I'll also add in my reasons:

1) Friend Calls ( This made me hate the game )
2) Boat like driving ( It isn't realistic )
3) Fighting system
4) Missions ( They're all the same )
5) Radio Stations ( No good music )
6) Lack of anything to do ( I mean its a open world game. It should be the most important thing )

ALeSsAnDrO
  • ALeSsAnDrO

Peon

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

It removed several features loved by many and introduced some unnecessary ones, later hated by many.
Plus it marked a regression in terms of world size and variety, compared to GTA SA.

It def was a technical improvement but many players felt it was severely scaled back.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

Lack of variety (countryside, desert etc)
No flying planes
Monotone city
Serious, mellow-dramatic story.
Whiney protagonist.
Money system useless.
No/sh*t rewards.
Lack of variety in missions.
Took itself too seriously.

Serious lack of free-roam things to do outside the story.

I could go on. Some people like me, who enjoy variety in their lives felt IV was a step backwards. Yes, IV was amazing with graphics and physics but that's a given. Of course they were going to be better but fun activities, options to get creative were lacking also exploration seemed pretty sh*t. One you figured out the city there was nothing else to explore or discover.

cj2400
  • cj2400

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:51 AM Edited by cj2400, 06 June 2013 - 12:54 AM.

QUOTE (redx165 @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 00:41)

I understand where this guys is coming from but... why the hell would you want the cops to be pushovers? That would make the game absolutely no fun, the fact that the cops are actually difficult to kill and escape from is one of the main reasons I like this game. Not to be an asshole but this guys just sounds like a bitch who's butt hurt that the game is making advances in a different direction which is to be expected, the game isn't all that realistic. It has a few things here and there but who wants a game like Saints Row? I think they found great balance.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

It's my favorite GTA game, but I still have issues with it.

-Customization is limited to clothing and nothing else.
-No planes
-No car-modding.
-Repetitive missions
-Third Act drags-on and can be a chore on re-plays
-I felt the soundtrack wasn't all that strong
-The map wasn't built for high-speed chases
-The hidden packages

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (cj2400 @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 00:51)

I understand where this guys is coming from but... why the hell would you want the cops to be pushovers? That would make the game absolutely no fun, the fact that the cops are actually difficult to kill and escape from is one of the main reasons I like this game. Not to be an asshole but this guys just sounds like a bitch who's butt hurt that the game is making advances in a different direction which is to be expected, the game isn't all that realistic. It has a few things here and there but who wants a game like Saints Row? I think they found great balance.

I think they found too much realism. GTA IV gets too much hate for that. No GTA should get as real as GTA IV. You need a balance between fun and realism. I'm hoping V can do that. RDR felt like it did it right for me.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Druffmaul @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 00:21)
There's a lot of hate for it everywhere, across the entire GTA fan base. I myself didn't care much for it the first time I played it, I hated Niko, I hated Roman, I hated all their friends, I hated the driving, I hated the shooting, I hated the social network... but about a year later I decided to replay it and I guess something clicked. I adapted to the superior driving controls and physics, I learned how to master the shooting, the characters all grew on me... I did a complete turn around. After a couple more play thrus it was was favorite GTA. It was one of those things that needed time to be appreciated, to grow on me. It's by far the best GTA in terms of turning you loose in a virtual world. When I look back on the 2008 me who hated it, I think he's a jackass. I honestly feel sorry for people who hate GTA IV. It's their loss.

was GTA IV your first GTA game, or were you full of GTA SA and just had different expectations for IV at first?

seems like most here who hate IV were VC and SA veterans and experienced the loss of abilities, content, etc. that they liked and loved in those earlier games but which were not present in IV.

cj2400
  • cj2400

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 00:58)
QUOTE (cj2400 @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 00:51)

I think they found too much realism. GTA IV gets too much hate for that. No GTA should get as real as GTA IV. You need a balance between fun and realism. I'm hoping V can do that. RDR felt like it did it right for me.

Yeah definitely, RDR was and is my favorite game. Even with it's slower pace I put it over GTA.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

I don't hate IV I just think it's a step back from San Andreas in many ways. Here is some pros and cons. Please remember this is my opinion.

Pros
- Better storytelling - GTA games before IV never had a amazing story however in IV i felt connected to Niko.
- Better physics and graphics - Rag-doll is great I don't care much about graphics but the detail showed more due to them.

Cons
- Not much to do
- The driving - After time I got used to it but I can't say I like it.
- Missions sucked save for three leaf clover
- Map seemed smaller
- Bowling
- Boring

GTA V seems to be a mix of San Andreas with GTA IV and that's a good thing. It seems to be improving on IV in every way and been what IV should have been and that's a step forward for the series rather than back. My favorite GTA game is Vice City been as I'm a 80's child so I'm not been a fangirl when I say what I do.

rickbro
  • rickbro

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

-Repetitive missions (go here and kill this person)
-Didn't like many of the characters (hated all the people that gave missions and the majority of them stabbed you in the back)
-Nothing to do after completing storyline

Catwalk
  • Catwalk

Catch You At The Crossroads

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

I personally love IV. I get why some people prefer SA though. I think gameplay wise (physics, driving, shooting etc) it beats every other GTA game and it's not even close (and yes I've played every major GTA ever). The biggest gripes I have with it are the soundtrack and the map. For those who say there is nothing to do after the story, that's very true if you just play it as a single player game. However the addition of multiplayer fixes this big time for me. Honest question, how many of those complaining about having nothing to do after the story have honestly gone to a private free mode game with friends they know in real life and just wasted time. No other GTA (on consoles) gives you this possibility. Personally I've spent months of my life just playing in private free mode with some of my friends coming up with crazy games and finding every glitch we could, swingset glitch anyone? wink.gif

rampage08
  • rampage08

I do not fear, for you are with me...

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:24 AM

for a first GTA to be developed on a new engine, they did a good job imo, the environment feels more alive than any free roam games that come at that time, the driving is unique, it is something that punish you if you did wrong, the cops were hard and aggresive too (well, for a 2008 game). It's the best GTA yet.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Because it wasn't San Andreas PT 2. It had it's flaws but all over a great game. I have been playing GTA Since III and I loved it.

omer19992010
  • omer19992010

Grove Street OG

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (wwinterj @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 01:12)
I don't hate IV I just think it's a step back from San Andreas in many ways. Here is some pros and cons. Please remember this is my opinion.

Pros
- Better storytelling - GTA games before IV never had a amazing story however in IV i felt connected to Niko.
- Better physics and graphics - Rag-doll is great I don't care much about graphics but the detail showed more due to them.

Cons
- Not much to do
- The driving - After time I got used to it but I can't say I like it.
- Missions sucked save for three leaf clover
- Map seemed smaller
- Bowling
- Boring

GTA V seems to be a mix of San Andreas with GTA IV and that's a good thing. It seems to be improving on IV in every way and been what IV should have been and that's a step forward for the series rather than back. My favorite GTA game is Vice City been as I'm a 80's child so I'm not been a fangirl when I say what I do.

In terms of Gameplay,Story and Graphics GTA IV was a huge step forward for the franchise.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

Actually, GTA IV is generally loved, it's a small community that hates the game, they just preach and complain about how much of a let down and how bad they thought it was that it, as opposed to the fans of GTA IV, there are a lot of GTA IV fans that are just casual fans and don't go on and on about how great it was, almost all the people who hate GTA IV though, complain about it constantly and it just seems like there is more of them then there really is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users