Photo

The Inspiration Topic

30 replies to this topic
Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hello! Having floated the idea through our main discussion forum, people seem to like it - so let's get started.

People here enjoy to write, we like stories, we like pushing ourselves and challenging ourselves until we have a finished product we can look back on with pride. But so much of our work is derivative. Don't believe me? JRR Tolkien, the master of fantasy, took a great deal of inspiration from the opera of Wagner and Beowulf. Shakespeare used English history to commentate on the internal issues facing his nation in the dark days of the Tudor dynasty. No matter how great or small you are, no matter how talented or how awful, the things we write inevitably stem from some external stimuli, some other tale or song or work that speaks to us, that makes us want to make our own contributions to the world of literature.

So, this thread is basically for discussing what is inspiring you at the moment. As you write - whether it be original work or fanfcition - tell us what you're looking at for ideas, what you listen to as you write. This thread isn't for publicising your stories, but if you want to detail the specifics of characters or settings - I would be truly thrilled to take a peek into your mind.

So, let's begin, shall we?

A great source of inspiration for myself has been my home town of Southend. Specifically, a Saxon burial mound in which was buried a King of great renown. His treasures sat for a while in our city, before being moved to London. At the moment, plans are being drafted for a museum to hold the Saxon gold. A museum that would be built inside the cliffs along the Thames - in a manner reminiscent of the Barrow in which they were discovered.
And it is the Barrow - the burial practice of our ancestors - that truly intrigues me. To this day, a man could walk over a hill and never suspect the vast labyrinth that could lurk beneath his feet.
After visiting the British Museum, I was overawed by the ancient Egyptians and their culture of death, the importance they placed on tombs for their rulers. The Barrows are OUR pyramids, incredible constructs, full of secrets and hidden stories, a grand way to send off old rulers.
This has really helped me in the story I'm currently writing.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

I like this idea. I think a lot of my past writings have heavily been inspired with what I'm currently interested in. When I originally wrote the very first Heart City gamescript, if anyone's watched Prison Break, I think the inspiration turned in to full-fledged some mother f*cka gettin' sued up in this bitch.

Right now I'm quite inspired by the on-going various feuding drug cartels in Mexico. It's pretty intense reading/viewing some of what goes on - especially how executioners eliminate low-rung drug peddlers of the other cartel.

Also on a lighter note, I've been re-watching that t.v. show 'The O.C.'. It makes me wanna write a similar story in which the protagonist is abandoned as a whole and someone offers him salvation. Plus my man-crush on Ben McKenzie probably doesn't help matters.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

I do like Southend (apart from the a13). Many great holiday memories there
And the beach front always played the same song: it's on the journey on gtaiv

It's a favourite holiday destination of mine and the gfs

As for inspiration, it's a hazy dream

As I mentioned in the other topic, I find it comes in disguise, and I have to look for it often. Like a diamond in the rough, I have whittle away the dirt when an idea forms and often I'm left with little enthusiasm

Sometimes there is inspiration that hits me clearly
I think that's why I like fanfiction; the ideas hit me while playing
Example:
My fallout project. I played through 3 3 times and nv twice now (nearing the end of the second on nv) and midway through my second play through of 3, with more knowledge of the game, I realised it was beneficial to be the bad guy- steal and double cross etc
Then I played the other end of the spectrum; as a good girl and the contrast formed the idea of a story: two characters, new to such a world, and how it impacts them and changes them
I wanted to make the girl naive and good natured, clever and timid and the guy brash and cold, selfish and kinda dumb. I really wanted to play on the opposites; exploring such parts of the human psyche.

City of lies was inspired by spy films like Bourne identity and the like, and the film Eagle Eye. I loved the idea of a mysterious person giving such orders.

Jif actually came from batman and Michael Caines line 'some want to watch the world burn'

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

What you say rings pretty true for most, Mokrie. We often find inspiration best when we're confined to a set limit. It's weird, but rules really do help the mind flourish. When we're perceived to be completely free we often stagnate. In my case, it's because I think I can always "do better."

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

18 Months was inspired by 18 Months (the dance album by Calvin Harris) tounge.gif

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:31 PM Edited by Vercetti21, 05 June 2013 - 03:34 PM.

I draw a lot of inspiration from movies, probably moreso than books. Films like American History X, Casablanca, Star Wars, Wizard of Oz, Road to Perdition, Blow, A Beautiful Mind, Dark Knight, Fight Club (I know this was a book but I liked the movie better) and several others were huge influences on my writing over the past decade. I wrote a lot of short stories with a cinematic soundtrack and a film noir atmosphere in mind.

That said, I've had "writer's block" for 2 years now... so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Reading makes my mind sharper as a writer, but movies are what made me want to pick up the pen in the first place.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Inspiration for me in general comes from real life experiences. I find that any inspiration I get from films, music, books etc is just me mirroring the events/ story from whatever I'm drawing inspiration from.
Matt Groening said something like if you want to work in TV then don't spend all your time watching TV. It makes sense as the best Art or stories I've created has always come from or at least been based around real life events I can draw from. When I first read the first law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie I was massively inspired by it however what I ended up writing was pretty much my take on the first law trilogy so I ditched it as it lacked my voice/ style I suppose. I still haven't found my voice/ writing style when it comes to story telling but in other creative areas I think I've found my style to work with.

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

I think my biggest influence comes from listening to music, really. sh*t like this:

Just that rawness man. That emotion you can feel in the lead's voice, and the disorienting percussion and guitar work.

Stuff like this, the uniform, sterile sounding stuff that kind of sounds like you're in a dream or some surreal place.

But yeah you get the point. I like writing along with this stuff on repeat. Drowns out the other stuff and lets me really hone in on the emotions I'm trying to put into the writing. That's how it's been for a long time. I could never understood how people wrote in silence. tounge.gif

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:24 PM Edited by orbitalraindrops, 05 June 2013 - 09:29 PM.

I do find, especially when writing, that music with lyrics distracts me too much. I much prefer broader songs that conjure up certain themes with no lyrics.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 15:47)
Matt Groening said something like if you want to work in TV then don't spend all your time watching TV.

This definitely rings true. I write often and a lot, and I do try to make sure my grammar and spelling is on point, but I've only read... I dunno... under ten books. moto_whistle.gif

Dr-Mayhem111
  • Dr-Mayhem111

4th Generation Corsino Capo Crimini

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Trailer Park Boys and Dukes of Hazzard was the inspiration to Sons of Montgomery.

TPB+DoH= EPICNESS

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Dr-Mayhem111 @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 21:53)
Trailer Park Boys

What? You own space? No. Naysa does. Rocket people. Perhaps you've heard of them?

EveryoneWearsThisInJapan
  • EveryoneWearsThisInJapan

'GTA: Liberty City Secrets' mod team leader

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Well right now I'm extremely depressed, I'm considering suicide. What inspires me is basically everything I see that surprises me, anything that shows me there's more out there to be discovered, be it a good piece of music or a nice haircut, and that it might be a bad idea to stop making that painful effort to keep breathing.

EDIT: Oh whatever, I can't talk all smarta­ss like you guys xD Basically life sucks and what inspires me is trying to make something different to surprise all the sheep (read: people) around me the same way a very tiny few things still surprise me. I hate how everything is so dull and everyone is a freaking zombie sheep. Ughhh

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

A cure to depression certainly isn't coming in to a topic of someone's poetry, calling people silly teens for offering their slab of knowledge in certain areas someone may lack.

What pisses me off, is kids just venturing in to this side of the forum and starting sh*t for no reason. I'm not going in to your map modding topics and saying how wank your Ray Machowski '87 mod/storyline looks and seems, home boooy.

Nvm. Lol'd @ b&.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (TonyZimmzy @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 23:36)
Lol'd @ b&.

LOL @ Who he probably was.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Vercetti21 @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 15:31)
I draw a lot of inspiration from movies, probably moreso than books. Films like American History X, Casablanca, Star Wars, Wizard of Oz, Road to Perdition, Blow, A Beautiful Mind, Dark Knight, Fight Club (I know this was a book but I liked the movie better) and several others were huge influences on my writing over the past decade. I wrote a lot of short stories with a cinematic soundtrack and a film noir atmosphere in mind.

That said, I've had "writer's block" for 2 years now... so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Reading makes my mind sharper as a writer, but movies are what made me want to pick up the pen in the first place.

I'm glad you mentioned that. The way i write is; i imagine a film in front of me. I let that film play out, and try to describe it.

I'm aware this is a common tactic among writers, both pro and amateur, but I find the notional ability to pause the film and look around is priceless. Just sit there and shut your eyes.

I also have a hugely short attention span (can be a problem with work), and when I'm not doing anything or doing something mindless (doing the laundry for eg) i find myself talking to myself - only i'm in character as one of my protags or something. sad maybe but it's how i fleshed out Rami in JIF, and i find it useful to explore my characters.

Also talk of music; i have a project named "indestructible" inspired by the album "indestructible" by disturbed. That whole album gave me this concept of a being that is invincible, and how he grows into something he learns he doesnt want to be and how he shun his own people. That story also is inspired partly by several things, like x men and even Heroes.

There's also creative depression - ive made some good songs and poems from that. One or two of them are in my sig.
I'm a firm believe in turning your sh*t into something creative.

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 17:10)
There's also creative depression - ive made some good songs and poems from that. One or two of them are in my sig.
I'm a firm believe in turning your sh*t into something creative.

"The good writing of any age has always been the product of someone's neurosis, and we'd have a mighty dull literature if all the writers that came along were a bunch of happy chuckleheads." -William Styron

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyREnIMmIuQ

Coat.
  • Coat.

god bless the dead

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (methods @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 05:01)

That was real and beautiful and meaningful.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

I just finished reading (again) A Scanner Darkly, and Loved how dark and sad the ending was. There were glimmers of hope, but it's an example of a story having no happy ending, or sorts. Such a heavy price to pay, and i felt it was reflective of drug addiction, and quite harrowing.
I felt a bit of inspiration in such a story, if that makes sense. The twists, and characters, none of them with clear motives, is well done imo - there's no black and white, just dark.

I find the best writing inspiration comes from such places - books and films and games; other stories.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

@Mokrie - I haven't read that book, but you speak really highly of it so I'll give it a read. smile.gif I'm reading Dunwich Horror (recommended by Ziggy) now and that's an interesting short story. tounge.gif

I think the movie Inception is very inspiring and that the director could have further developed the story.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

If you want books to read check the topic in my sig.

I do recommend it. Harrowing and a great read.

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

Did someone mention Philip K Dick?

Tyler is pinged through his subdermal implants when this happens

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 20:10)
Did someone mention Philip K Dick?

Tyler is pinged through his subdermal implants when this happens

Hell yeah I did
I gotta check amazon for more of his books.

Gotta thank unoriginal44 for suggesting it in this topic

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:27 AM Edited by Zugzwang, 02 July 2013 - 06:40 AM.

Watch People Die was inspired by the metareddit watchpeopledie where you can actually watch people die. I chose the setting to be in South America because of all the videos on there were you can watch members of the cartel cut each others heads off.

Ward was inspired by my time at a "wilderness therapy program" and how I wish I could get revenge on my former 'field supervisor' Xela.

Virtue is based on how throughout my life I've tried to desensitize myself to everything from fear to pain. One character is also influenced by the poem Ozymandias.

The Convict and His Humanity is based off my experience with some of my loved ones going to jail and realizing that people don't see the criminals of society as humans, just problems to be dealt with so in this story I tried to depict a criminal who is likable, unique, and very human.

Also Exsanguination was inspired by my girlfriend breaking up with me but retrospectively I don't think it's a very good poem

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

That Unoriginal44 guy sounds like a total assbiscuit

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 07:01)
That Unoriginal44 guy sounds like a total assbiscuit

What the hell? Is he you or am I going crazy?

PerceptortheShootist
  • PerceptortheShootist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

I'm currently inspired by comedic, light-hearted documentaries. This Is Spinal Tap is a great example.

Belaphron
  • Belaphron

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

When I read Phillp K Dick I just feel really disappointed. I mean the ideas behind his books, the whole premise are usually fantastic; but I just don't think he is able to do his ideas justice, his prose is just not good enough. This means his books are usually a let down. On the bright side we have all these movies based on his works, which are all better than the books they are based on, which not something you see everyday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users