» «
Photo

Naturism/Nudism

12 replies to this topic
Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:23 PM Edited by Ziggy455, 04 June 2013 - 05:33 PM.

I've never been one to advocate either side of the responses on Naturism. I was talking to a few of my friends today while we were checking out some awesome forest; photo-worthy, but alas, no cameras on us. And we got around, somehow, to the discussion of a hidden naturist reserve -There isn't one, but my friend believed there was- that was hidden quite well in a deeper, but significantly beautiful part of the woods.

In the end, I'm just curious about a few things. The party was spit 50/50 on the opinions of if Nudism is acceptable or not. Personally, in my honest opinion, I really couldn't care whether or not I was talking to a nude person or persons or if I was nude in front of people. It was never something that really bothered me like others things. Some of my friends disagree and say that "Naturism is unethical and bound by sex." Which is something I can understand, but should it really be a lifestyle that is frowned on? Some of my other friends were so strongly set in proving a point that two of them continued to forest journey nude, just to prove a point. Which did weird out my other friends for a small period before they got the hint. I have odd friends, go figure.

Like I said, I'm not advocating. I'm just curious on some people's ideas of Naturism; is it ethical? Is it wrong? Should it be a universal rule? What's your say on it?

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

I do not believe that such a thing as a 'right' or 'wrong' decision actually exist, so any moral argument about it being 'indecent' holds no ground with me.
I believe in practicality, and the truth is that humans are social animals, correct? We require co-operation in order to prosper. What, then, is the worth of those who willingly make themselves pariahs? Who through their own conscious decision reject the norms of society and isolate themselves in this manner?
True, they are hurting no one, but their behaviour is deviant in the natural sense of the word - not the moral sense.

In the end, such people are only guilty of gross stupidity, because only a fool makes themselves a subject of ridicule and public scorn. And, in so doing, they cast a poor shadow on their family. Such is always the way with deviants, whether they be the common rapist or a nudist - their actions weaken their tribe and devalue their family name. So, stupid and selfish.

Besides, human design is such that clothing is a necessity. Whilst the clothing industry IS guilty of objectifying women, the concept of clothing is based on practicality and is not inherently 'oppressive'. We cannot help our design, and the sad truth is that humans are physically frail and weak creatures who require layers of clothing to resist both the cold and the hot. Yes, it annoys me, but we cannot change it.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Of course; I agree. Clothing IS a necessity against the harsh elements. And socialites like humans don't always fit the public norm. However, in a warm temperature, when clothing is not necessary. Take for example, the lovely British summertime, when you can almost, quite literally, sleep outside due to the heat. Is clothing necessary at times like this? In parameters that more than suit these kind of people? I realise that nudism/naturism is NOT acceptable when you throw in cold showers, storms, freezing climates, or colossal temperatures. I meant more for when we are not inclined to wear clothing to protect us as opposed to the necessities needed of it.

To be a nudist all year round would not make any logical sense; we need clothes to survive, like you say. It was more based on nudism in places that are more full of it. Without the argument of the obvious use of clothing. I was more curious in the way it is looked upon to the masses, when it is shown in public.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 17:46)
Of course; I agree. Clothing IS a necessity against the harsh elements. And socialites like humans don't always fit the public norm. However, in a warm temperature, when clothing is not necessary. Take for example, the lovely British summertime, when you can almost, quite literally, sleep outside due to the heat. Is clothing necessary at times like this?

My argument is that if the conventions of society dictate that wearing clothes in the summer is necessary, that makes it necessary. One may disagree with the hang-ups and prudishness of society, but going against them openly is destructive to yourself and those around you.

As society has the power to crush the individual, its prejudices and and traditions must at least be tolerated, if not enjoyed.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

I think the problem with it is just that, you know... Things happen with the body. Everyone wants to pretend that they'd be just fine around a bunch of naked people. Get back to me when you wind up having some guy putting his leg up on a stool and airing his nutsack out around the food bar, and come on guys... I know I've gotten a boner when the breeze blew the right way a few times, how awkward and embarrassing it would it be to be running around with random erections? That's not even mentioning the female part of it... You know, they DO get aroused too and not to mention more lol

Long story short, somewhere at some point in time do to all this awkwardness, we learned that clothes not only help to fend off the environmental factors, but factors of awkwardness and what not in humans. I just don't think that we've gotten to the point as a society where if a man has an errant erection at a dinner party, or a woman's juices start flowing at said dinner part, that people could just excuse it like "Oh excuse my arousal," and move on. You know someone's going to laugh, someone else is going to get turned on and the whole thing will be rife with sexual tension as everybody wonders if it's on the verge of becoming an orgy.

Yeah as you can tell I've thought about these kinds of things. What's more interesting ( and hilarious ) to think about is the fact that at some point in time, some poor unfortunate humans have lived through the embarrassment that makes them cover themselves. I mean, ever wonder why we wear underwear? Here's a hint: It came before toilet paper.

All that being said I could hang out with nudists, but I just wouldn't be into that kind of lifestyle. I don't care how progressive or whatever you are, you can't spend that much time around nipples and so on without it effecting you, and if you actually do desensitize yourself to it... Then that's horrible, why the f*ck would you want to ruin breasts for yourself? There's a reason we have lingerie, we all know what they likely look like under there, the mystery is half the fun.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

I can understand what you mean. I don't mind nudity at all. The very essence of it is a natural way of expression; and I do see the flaws in it. Sometimes, I believe naturism is 'forced'. I mean, nudism is all well and good; but Nudist Discos? Nudist barbecues? (Frazzled sausage anyone?) I do believe that it's a little pushed to its limits when they start trying to form different activities around it.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 03:38)
In the end, such people are only guilty of gross stupidity, because only a fool makes themselves a subject of ridicule and public scorn.

But are they scorned and ridiculed? If you were having a conversation with somebody and they mentioned they were a naturist, would you back away slowly?

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Melchior @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 02:27)
In the end, such people are only guilty of gross stupidity, because only a fool makes themselves a subject of ridicule and public scorn.

But are they scorned and ridiculed? If you were having a conversation with somebody and they mentioned they were a naturist, would you back away slowly?

Would I personally? No.
But the average man on the street? Perhaps. Although their scorn would not take the form of open disgust but rather a private contempt for their lifestyle. The manifestation of their disapproval is slight, but it doesn't change the fact that nudists are roundly viewed as either 'weird' or as a perverted sub-culture.

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Interesting thread. On the one hand, you've got the fashion industry telling people they need to dress, look and act a certain way. And on the other hand you've got nudists expressing their beliefs that clothes are essentially evil by, well, not wearing clothes.

I find myself somewhere right down the middle. While I wouldn't follow the naturalists' way of life, I completely agree with their ideologies about the importance of self-love and self-acceptance. Though their methods are considered extreme by the rest of society, I must admit they make a great point, and a nice contrast to what is fed to the masses through Cosmopolitan magazine.

Personally I have no qualms with letting my junk hang out for all to see... but at the end of the day, that's not going to get me a job. I don't see wearing clothes as a form of conformity though... as others have said, we wear clothes for practical purposes other than "fitting in", ie. the elements. Even the cavemen knew that being naked in the winter sucks.

Ultimately, I worry less about people who choose to wear no jeans than I do about people who think they need $500 jeans.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Vercetti21 @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 06:57)
While I wouldn't follow the naturalists' way of life, I completely agree with their ideologies about the importance of self-love and self-acceptance.

See that's the thing: I feel tons of self-love and acceptance when I dress in clothing I really dig. Specifically tighter clothing, which is probably the opposite of what naturists like. What I'm saying is, I think their self-help philosophy being shoehorned into a movement dedicated to lettin' it all hang out™ is leaving out some of the story. Some people love the clothing they wear, and fashion nowadays is the very epitome of self-expression. I know I'd rather be wearing slim pants than lettin' it all hang™ out in the windy hills of Kansas.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:15 AM Edited by Ziggy455, 16 June 2013 - 02:18 AM.

I think the lifestyle is a bit excessive. If we look at this from a neutral stance. Naturists seem to have warped view of the term 'nudity' and I read up that there's naked teen camps -I expect the FBI to be knocking down my door any day now- and that they have naked discos and naked baseball games. (f*ck that; I don't need a Sammy Sosa wannabe cracking my nuts with a curveball.) But I digress, back to the point here, which is that they are extremely excessive. I mean, nudism should be a freeing thing and I think what's more importance is the acceptance. We don't need constant nudism in every situation, but if somebody wanted to get naked when the climate is just right, sure. Brilliant, I'm not a conformist. But naked discos? Naked congo lines? Naked wrestling? It seems a bit much and like they're trying extremely hard to get their message across, like a gay person splicing in lines like 'Oh, boy, I sure do love penis.' - Generic and a little bit homphobic? Sure, but it gets the point across. If we think of an ideal, it is safe to say that the ideal is being applied 100% of the time because that's just crazy.

I think the idea of nudism has been extremely warped. Nudism should be accepted at times, but then sometimes, it just seems to be constant in a place where it should not. Nobody can be nude 100% of the time, and nobody can be clothed 100% of the time, but nobody need question either way. The only thing I question is the absolute craziness that is the remaining fully nude for a solid week at one of these camps and whatnot. It's mystifying. I believe they've missed the point of nudism altogether and are more involved with the self-acceptance aspect of things, which is good! Lord knows we've got so much social conformity and aesthetic judgment in this day and age that to not conform is sometimes a noble fear. But sometimes common sense also breaks through and you realize that regardless of your stance, you don't need to live and breath it to an extremity because then you'll end up nullifying the very ideal you're trying to enforce.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 21:54)
QUOTE (Melchior @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 02:27)

Would I personally? No.
But the average man on the street? Perhaps. Although their scorn would not take the form of open disgust but rather a private contempt for their lifestyle. The manifestation of their disapproval is slight, but it doesn't change the fact that nudists are roundly viewed as either 'weird' or as a perverted sub-culture.

But I'm just not sure that is the case. There are nude beaches and there's no particular stigma associated with going to one, at least not for people over a certain age.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

I think there's an issue between nudism being a possibility as opposed to being nude all the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users