» «
Photo

Game stutters, Claude loses health

4 replies to this topic
j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:20 PM Edited by j7n, 04 June 2013 - 03:22 PM.

GTA SA is working for me. Thank you for the fix. icon14.gif

I'm trying to run GTA3 now and have a weird glitch in it that makes the game unplayable at the very start.

Frame rate stutters once about every second, time seems to jump forward a frame or two. This can be easily observed when driving a car. But when Claude is on foot, he sometimes gets flung forward with considerable force and crashes either into himself or the ground, loses a lot of health and may get Wasted.

Cars are jittery during the opening cinematic, without ill effects. But I died at the first safehouse, and then several times while running around by the hospital.

Newly installed GT 610 / GF119, 1.6 GHz Conroe-L, 3 GB of RAM, Windows XP.

Running at 1024*768 at 75 fps, smooth until a jump occurs. I tried so far changing nVidia Tripple buffering and pre-rendered frames, to no effect.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ Anything 80's ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Have you tried turning on the frame limiter in the game menus? I don't think the games are made for running at 75fps and I believe I've read about people experiencing strange bugs when it's running faster than it should.

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

The stuttering was actually caused by a network service running in the background.

With or without it, using the Frame Limiter did away with the problem. That's a shame because 75 fps looked real sweet, like NTSC versus streaming video, running in circles permanently on Steroids.

Even with the faulty service closed, the jumping continued to occur occasionally while on foot. I spent the evening driving to the broken bridge and trying to jump it with the newly acquired force. I got thrown in the Staunton sea once, but not on where I wanted to land. lol.gif

Vice City seemed to run fine when I tried it last month. But that was a different, less powerful system. Perhaps it couldn't do as much "work" while "waiting" for the next blanking interval.

Alright, frame limiter it is.

Shao Kahn
  • Shao Kahn

The Emperor of Outworld (Formerly Voit Turyv)

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Actually, I am wondering why the frame limiter is in. Sure, the game has an awesome FPS value when turned on but this gives an insane amount of glitches. Maybe its purpose made sense back in 2001...

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

Actually, it's the other way around. The framerate limiter is on by default and there are less glitches with it, as Andreaz1 said. Each frame then lasts an the same amount of ms, and it may be assumed that a given amount of virtual game time has also passed. I've noticed that some game rules are tied to the current frame rate. In San Andreas, the player's car travelled slower if the framerate fell below the limit. Swimming speed was affected. It may be that the crazy highways are also influenced.

Up until yesterday, I had not actually "died" because of it.

They could have implemented doubling of the rate, though, especially with San Andreas, when everyone must've learned that video cards get better over time. And they did allow to scale the graphics up somewhat compared to console releases with the Draw Distance setting. My copy of SA actually runs slower at 25 fps, whereas GTA3 is 30 fps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users