8 replies to this topic
Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hey,

I've recently been interested in learning guitar, I've already learned my first song (horse with no name) from San andreas tounge.gif
But I need help with a few things.

Firstly How do you keep a guitar in tune?

How do you unstring and restring a guitar?

Where should I start with guitar (like what should I learn first and yeah)

Also my guitar is an acoustic guitar that was re strung left handed for me.

thanks. icon14.gif

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (legend9090 @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 09:03)
Hey,

I've recently been interested in learning guitar, I've already learned my first song (horse with no name) from San andreas tounge.gif

One of these would be a good start. If you are just starting out then the QT-1 would be the best shot as it's fairly cheap and accurate enough for beginners.

Here are some good videos on both Classical and Acoustic (the acoustic can be used as a guide for electric as well

As for songs then you've picked the right one to start off with, I'd say start off with rhythm guitar first before progressing further, as this will increase your sense of timing and also increase your hand strength and toughen up the skin on your fingers.

I started off by finding some guitar chord books on my favorite band just trying to play along from there, after that I progressed onto guitar tab in order to pick up the more subtle nuances of rhythm and lead guitar.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Gareth pretty much said it all. I would say tackle Acoustic first, they're easier and not as complicating as electric if you're going for riffs and what not. My first guitar, I was around 9 or 10 and they came with nylon strings so they're not hard on your fingers.. but I didn't get deep into guitar until my teen years and once my fingers developed some calluses, I was able to play with any type of string.

Youtube videos are very helpful and able to pause and you can see the strings of each chord played. Just learn the basic chords, throw in some of your own creativity and next thing you know, you're on the stage for Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Alot of songs, especially Country use the same chords, so once you learn the basics, you can pretty much play an assortment of songs out there. My favorite to play as of now is Blues and I always followed chord books from my favorite bands as well, Staind, Incubus, etc.

I mainly play electric now because I like to shred like hell. Just buy you a somewhat decent/cheap guitar in the 100-200 bucks range just to use as a learning tool. Good luck man!

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Tuning: As Gareth said, you could buy a tuner such as that one. If you have a decent ear, you could use an online tuner such as this. Personally, a sine wave helps me more than a guitar sound, because then I can hear the little vibrations when it's off-tune. Also, you could use a technique I was taught: Tune the 6th string, then 5th fret on the 6th string, use that to tune the 5th string and so on (except 4th fret when tuning the 2nd string). But I don't think it's the best solution.

Not to steal your topic, but does anyone have tips on learning proper fingerpicking? I want to eventually learn Bleecker Street, but I don't know where or how to start.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 08:22)
QUOTE (legend9090 @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 09:03)
Hey,

One of these would be a good start. If you are just starting out then the QT-1 would be the best shot as it's fairly cheap and accurate enough for beginners.

Here are some good videos on both Classical and Acoustic (the acoustic can be used as a guide for electric as well

As for songs then you've picked the right one to start off with, I'd say start off with rhythm guitar first before progressing further, as this will increase your sense of timing and also increase your hand strength and toughen up the skin on your fingers.

I started off by finding some guitar chord books on my favorite band just trying to play along from there, after that I progressed onto guitar tab in order to pick up the more subtle nuances of rhythm and lead guitar.

Thanks for all your help smile.gif icon14.gif

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (Edmachine @ Tuesday, Jun 4 2013, 04:19)
Tuning: As Gareth said, you could buy a tuner such as that one. If you have a decent ear, you could use an online tuner such as this. Personally, a sine wave helps me more than a guitar sound, because then I can hear the little vibrations when it's off-tune. Also, you could use a technique I was taught: Tune the 6th string, then 5th fret on the 6th string, use that to tune the 5th string and so on (except 4th fret when tuning the 2nd string). But I don't think it's the best solution.

Not to steal your topic, but does anyone have tips on learning proper fingerpicking? I want to eventually learn Bleecker Street, but I don't know where or how to start.

Finger picking can be tricky and abit stressful on the hand after awhile. I would recommend doing some hand/finger exercises. Not sure how to go about teaching but all I can say is practice or perhaps someone else other than me has some useful tips.

About 4yrs ago, I nearly had my right thumb severed, but after a successful patch up, I've lost some strength in it and alittle feeling, so after afew songs, my right thumb causes me to give out. Luckily, I'm a lefty so it doesn't effect my picking but it does tend to be a deciding factor on my chords at times confused.gif So when I'm not coordinated well with my right hand, it tends to f*ck my entire set up. sh*t happens.. Maybe you can watch some youtube vids or find a local friend or someone who plays and get some close up tips icon14.gif

3Hunt.
  • 3Hunt.

Yeah.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

I know how to play 'The Yellow Submarine'.... in Middle School level! My teacher did say I thwacked the strings... icon14.gif

AKalashnikov
  • AKalashnikov

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:38 AM Edited by AKalashnikov, 05 June 2013 - 11:35 AM.

Can't really help with your question, but I had to learn that exact song at school and be assessed on it when I was like 11. Naturally I paid no attention to learning it, but looking back it would've been cool to know how to play. After a few days of 'learning' it we had to sit at the front of the class and perform the song and I just sat there playing anything and looking incredibly awkward. Don't even remember getting my results back for it, haha. To this day the song makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Female guitar players are the best imo. It's like they're just naturally better at strumming. My advice is to get a female tutor, so she can show you how she strums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users