Motion Scan

13 replies to this topic
johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Despite LA Noire being a pretty lame game overall one thing I loved about it was the facial recognition. It was awesome, I was blown away once I saw how well it added life to the characters. Seriously, interviewing people and watching out for the little nuances that they give away when lying was so much fun. It adds a whole new layer of emotional connection with videogame characters that is you never get.

Of course its too late to use this feature now for GTA V; it is almost out the door. However I want this being used in next gen GTA VI. Its high time that we connect on a greater level with characters in the GTA world. Don't get me mistaken here I think the animation in GTA has always been top notch even back to III days. But think how much cooler it would be if they include Motion-Capture? At one point during 2010/11 I think I was among those that wanted GTAV to have facial recognition like LA Noire.

I literally cant tell you how much Im looking forward to the day this dream is realized in GTA.

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

user posted image

We haven't played GTA V yet and people are going on about VI.. mad.gif

Don_Corleone
  • Don_Corleone

Carpe Diem

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (johnny_zoo @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 10:09)
Despite LA Noire being a pretty lame game overall

Stopped reading there

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Don_Corleone @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 09:18)
QUOTE (johnny_zoo @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 10:09)
Despite LA Noire being a pretty lame game overall

Stopped reading there

I was mildly exaggerating. biggrin.gif It was good but was too restricting most of the time. Anyway my following argument still stands.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Motion Scan is just not necessary. It was used as a gimmick in LA Noire, but I loved it because it produced some of the most believable acting(cutscenes) I've ever seen in a game, especially the newspaper articles.

The reason I say it's unnecessary is because the technology is extremely limited and it just isn't needed when you consider the higher polygon count next gen consoles will be able to produce. Motion Scan is basically 3D high definition video being played on the surface of each character's face. This is why the characters look exactly like the actors who voiced them.

Next gen consoles will be able to produce a similar level of detail just by using better motion capture technology. Something like what Avatar used would be much better, because both facial and body animations are captured at the same time, which isn't possible with Motion Scan. This eliminates that weird disconnected look the characters in LA Noire had sometimes.

RaduG
  • RaduG

Is it fall yet?

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 12:52)
Next gen consoles will be able to produce a similar level of detail just by using better motion capture technology. Something like what Avatar used would be much better, because both facial and body animations are captured at the same time, which isn't possible with Motion Scan. This eliminates that weird disconnected look the characters in LA Noire had sometimes.

Actually, it is possible to scan the entire body, but I don't know if next-gen is able to handle the level of detail (and it's probably pretty expensive now). I remember Brendan McNamara said they will try to Motion Scan the entire body for the next game (Whore of the Orient!?).

Watch this from 4:50

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:36 AM Edited by lol232, 03 June 2013 - 10:58 AM.

L.A. Noire had pretty awesome motion scan:

I guess that GTA VI will to. Hell, maybe even V.

Wug
  • Wug

Burrito Lover

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Motion scan is just a minor detail if it were to happen in GTA. It would take a helluva space on a CD that L.A. Noire did not take up.

Romans Cousin Niko
  • Romans Cousin Niko

Troll Patrol

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (johnny_zoo @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 09:09)
Despite LA Noire being a pretty lame game

user posted image

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Rockstar wouldn't use MotionScan© anyway, mainly because they don't own the tech & probably wouldn't want to license it from whoever currently owns it (KMM or Warner Brothers I think). They might use something similar, but they would probably want to integrate it into a brand new game engine, like Natural Motion's Euphoria was part of the RAGEngine from the very start.

PHOENIXZERO
  • PHOENIXZERO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Motionscan was the reason the XB360 version of the game was three discs.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:08 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 29 June 2013 - 04:32 PM.

There are technologies out there that are certainly better than Motion Scan and that, above all, need less resources while having both: facial and body animations. Chances are that they will be used for next-gen videogames, including the next Grand Theft Auto.

Jordando
  • Jordando

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (Polish_Trucker @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 09:11)
We haven't played GTA V yet and people are going on about VI..  mad.gif

Holy sh*t get over it. People can talk about it if they damn well please. What the hell is wrong with this forum? Its full of tight asses.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:50 AM Edited by GTASAddict, 05 June 2013 - 05:53 AM.

I've answered this question (and similar questions) so many times, and I don't have any intention on doing it again.

Here are my answers:

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062508629

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062538394

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062508634

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062463846

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062314261

http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1062403425

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users