O Mio Babbino Caro soundtrack question

16 replies to this topic
Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

I know it was absent in the PC version. But does it exist in the Xbox and the Mobile versions? Can anybody tell me?
I'm interested - because I have only the PS2 and PC versions of GTA III.

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Ugh, I rarely listen to Double Cleff FM anyway, but I'll try to see if I can spot it when playing GTA III on XBOX.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

It's present only in the PS2 version.

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

I have the Xbox and Steam versions, and "O Mio Babbino Caro" is definitely not there. Shame, it's a beautiful song. It was probably removed from later versions due to a licensing issue. Even 10 years later, Rockstar delayed the PSN release of III due to problems getting clearance for a song, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same track.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:54 PM Edited by NCONiall, 03 June 2013 - 01:04 PM.

It's on the mobile version as well. On second thought, it doesn't seem to be there. A shame, it's an absolutely beautiful piece.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Claude94 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 15:34)
I have the Xbox and Steam versions, and "O Mio Babbino Caro" is definitely not there. Shame, it's a beautiful song. It was probably removed from later versions due to a licensing issue. Even 10 years later, Rockstar delayed the PSN release of III due to problems getting clearance for a song, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same track.

Hm! Who would possibly create a licensing issue for that song, I wonder?

Thanks for the information. A shame really - this song, as I view it, is the 'heart' of GTA III.

Oh, BTW, what about the PSN version? Is it present there?

Tony.
  • Tony.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

I know, it is strange how that song alone creates issues. At first I thought it was maybe something to do with people in the record company that own it not liking it associated with such a game, but it's probably it's just a hassle to get the rights to begin with and Rockstar didn't jump through all the hoops required for proper clearance. They probably forgot about it, seeing as the original final build from 2001 was the one first submitted to the PSN store, with that song included.

I wish I could find out if it was still in the PSN version or not. It wouldn't surprise me if they removed it yet again. Apparently, "Running with the Night" by Lionel Richie caused similar issues for Vice City, and now the first PS2 version is the only one to contain that track. And last year, they actually took the game off of Steam due to more licensing issues and removed almost a dozen other songs (including both Michael Jackson tracks and the Ozzy Osbourne song). And from what I know, none of those songs were on the PSN version.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE (Claude94 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 17:50)
And last year, they actually took the game off of Steam due to more licensing issues and removed almost a dozen other songs (including both Michael Jackson tracks and the Ozzy Osbourne song). And from what I know, none of those songs were on the PSN version.

That sucks if that's true. sad.gif Listening to MJ in GTA was awesome.

Tony.
  • Tony.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 22:30)
QUOTE (Claude94 @ Monday, Jun 3 2013, 17:50)
And last year, they actually took the game off of Steam due to more licensing issues and removed almost a dozen other songs (including both Michael Jackson tracks and the Ozzy Osbourne song). And from what I know, none of those songs were on the PSN version.

That sucks if that's true. sad.gif Listening to MJ in GTA was awesome.

It is, sadly. I have the Steam and iOS versions, and neither MJ songs are to be heard. Some songs from Wildstyle and Espantoso are gone, too, plus an Emotion song. Here's a list of tracks removed.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the information you've been able to provide! I appreciate that.

One word about VC: No matter how I tried, I could not understand: how would Michael Jackson's songs be the subject of copyright issues? Jackson's dead, as far as I know... So the question is: who is the rightholder of MJ's songs now?

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Wednesday, Jun 5 2013, 18:45)
Thanks for the information you've been able to provide! I appreciate that.

One word about VC: No matter how I tried, I could not understand: how would Michael Jackson's songs be the subject of copyright issues? Jackson's dead, as far as I know... So the question is: who is the rightholder of MJ's songs now?

The record label he was with. Right after he died, I think it was Sony who paid something like $200 million for the rights to his songs for x number of years and to release x amount of more albums.

I'm not sure how the business works, but I don't think any of the big artist actually own their songs themselves. Those rights are always with the record label who publishes them.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, it's tricky.

Copyright expires between 70 and 90 years after the owner's death, and the work enters the public domain and is free to manipulate and use by anyone. In the case of record labels, I don't think copyright ever expires unless the label is closed down, the owners die and the remaining years pass. I think labels can renew copyright indefinitely.

Tony.
  • Tony.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Basically what they said. It's all up to the record label for licensing rights to people who want to use their music in media (unless the music is public domain, and in Michael Jackson's case, his songs will enter public domain in 2079 unless the label renews it). Rockstar doesn't go to the artist directly and pay them cash, it's through the company that owns the song.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

So there's the trick, eh? I personally thought that the label companies lose the song rights after the artists' death immediately... But it's 70 years instead.

ED-E
  • ED-E

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

I can't believe "Michael Jackson - Billie Jean" was cut.

It was always the first song to play when getting into Ken's Admiral for the first time with Flash FM playing.
  • abccba123 likes this

Niall
  • Niall

Mad Monkey

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

wow.gif

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:06 AM Edited by GTAKid667, 15 June 2013 - 10:10 AM.

QUOTE (Niall @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 22:36)
wow.gif

Now, I know I'm British and that but I watched that episode of AGT and I could not believe that audition

P.S Hello everybody, I haven't been around in a while (as you probably have known)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users