Photo

Grenade bug

16 replies to this topic
typicalgamer
  • typicalgamer

Sniper

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:42 PM Edited by typicalgamer, 31 May 2013 - 05:50 PM.

If I throw a grenade to the shortest distance possible(by hitting the fire button quickly(it's the left mouse button, as I'm on PC)) it will sometimes bounce one time and then fall through the ground and explode inside Blue Hell. Has it happened to anyone else?
No mods, no chests.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:10 AM

There are many hidden "holes" throughout the game which lead to various hidden interiors. Not a "bug" at all.

typicalgamer
  • typicalgamer

Sniper

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:27 PM Edited by typicalgamer, 13 June 2013 - 08:24 PM.

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 04:10)
There are many hidden "holes" throughout the game which lead to various hidden interiors. Not a "bug" at all.

Blue hell is not an interior. It's part of Heaven K(the exterior world).

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Nonetheless, you never stated where you were when this happened. The only Blue Hell entrance I'm aware of is in Tierra Robada.

Chips237
  • Chips237

A less rational man might think he'd been abducted by aliens

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (King Andreas @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 13:48)
Nonetheless, you never stated where you were when this happened. The only Blue Hell entrance I'm aware of is in Tierra Robada.

There's two more, one at the Mulholland safehouse and one near Doherty.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

I located these others: Las Venturas Airport, Come A Lot, Dillimore, Temple and Saint Marks Bistro. So did I leave any out?

typicalgamer
  • typicalgamer

Sniper

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (King Andreas @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 13:48)

It happens anywhere in San Andreas.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

It doesn't just happen anywhere on my game, so I recon you might have a bugged game after all. Luckily, many bugs have fixes; this might too.

Additional: Hm, I just did a Google search and this result from GameFAQs caught my attention: http://www.gamefaqs....wers?qid=289318

A question someone posted:

Every time I shoot from a heat seeker and RPG, the missile comes out and it disappears. Same with grenades, I throw them and they disappear.

A respondent said this:

That's a glitch in the game, maybe you bought/downloaded a pirate version or incomplete version.

typicalgamer
  • typicalgamer

Sniper

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:07 AM Edited by typicalgamer, 21 June 2013 - 12:17 PM.

It doesn't disappear, it explodes normally. The thing is, If I throw it to the shortest possible distance, it may fall through the ground after bouncing once, but this doesn't always happen.
If I toss the grenade a safe distance away(by pressing LMB and holding it for about half a second, instead of just hitting it quickly), it does not happen.
Interestingly, if I disable the frame limiter, the glitch won't happen at all(grenades will never fall into Blue Hell, even if I throw them to the shortest distance possible).
Maybe it happens only in version 1(which I have) and was fixed in v2. Or it happens on PC but not on consoles.
EDIT: this seems to happen in GTA: Vice City as well(I've just tried), but far more rarely.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

It isn't a glitch, or an issue stemming from a pirate version, or any other stuff like that. It's much more simple, in fact.

The world of GTA consists of various patches of matter, shall we call them 'tiles'. Each tile has a solid portion and the covering texture. Now, even a simple object like a 10 yard road consists of like 50 'tiles'. Now, in between these tiles, in the conjunctions, there are small 'holes' - places where the solid portion does not exist. Now, every object that is smaller than the width of the hole is liable to falling through the texture, while other, bulkier objects cannot go through.
The grenade is small enough to fit into a hole like that, so it freely falls through.

This works in any III era game - from GTA III to GTA VCS.

Hope this helps.

typicalgamer
  • typicalgamer

Sniper

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

That doesn't explain much, because:
-as I said, disabling the frame limiter prevents the glitch;
-it doesn't happen at all in GTA3, GTA Liberty City Stories and GTA Vice City Stories, I've tried(I have GTA3 on PC and the Stories games on PSP);
-the grenade doesn't fall through the ground if I toss it a safe distance away, instead of the minimum distance.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Well, it seems I forgot to mention that I was talking about the situation where the frame limiter is turned off - as the frame limiter "keeps" the tiles together - everything is synchronised. When the frsme limiter is off, lots of weird stuff begins to happen right away. The disintegration of the tiles being one of those effects.

The Stories have the frame limiter automatically on, and it can't be turned off - so basically you can't perform the bug there. Same with GTA VC and GTA SA on PS2, as a matter of fact. GTA III is built on a different engine - that is why glitches that worked there wouldn't work on later III era GTAs and vice versa.

And last, the game only 'reads' the tiles closest to your position. While it loads the basic texture and the solid portion of every tile, the tiles' syntopy is only loaded for the little area around the player - else the memory cache would be filled up with unnecessary information.

If something is still unclear - go ahead and ask. I'll do my best to explain.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

I often have grenades disappear underground. (PS2 v1).
They will explode and not hurt the enemy. The explosion might leave some black dust on the surface, that's all.
Maybe it happens more often when the grenade is threw a short distance, but it can happen on medium distances. I don't know how often it happens, but I believe less than 1 of 20 (5%) of the grenades fall underground.

typicalgamer
  • typicalgamer

Sniper

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:31 PM Edited by typicalgamer, 16 July 2013 - 03:46 PM.

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 19:50)
Well, it seems I forgot to mention that I was talking about the situation where the frame limiter is turned off - as the frame limiter "keeps" the tiles together - everything is synchronised. When the frsme limiter is off, lots of weird stuff begins to happen right away. The disintegration of the tiles being one of those effects.

The Stories have the frame limiter automatically on, and it can't be turned off - so basically you can't perform the bug there. Same with GTA VC and GTA SA on PS2, as a matter of fact. GTA III is built on a different engine - that is why glitches that worked there wouldn't work on later III era GTAs and vice versa.

And last, the game only 'reads' the tiles closest to your position. While it loads the basic texture and the solid portion of every tile, the tiles' syntopy is only loaded for the little area around the player - else the memory cache would be filled up with unnecessary information.

If something is still unclear - go ahead and ask. I'll do my best to explain.

You didn't read my post carefully. It's the other way around. Let me make it more clear:

Frame Limiter ON==>glitch happens
Frame Limiter OFF==>glitch does NOT happen

What do you mean "GTA III has a different engine"? All 3D era games(from III to VCS) use RenderWare.

Frenzzy
  • Frenzzy

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

It's rare. It happened to me once when I was testing the explosionproof ability of FCR-900. This happened below the intersection (where Jizzy's ho is in danger and near a bribe). I think the bug can happen anywhere.

^^^ And yes, the bug happened when Frame Limiter was ON.

typicalgamer
  • typicalgamer

Sniper

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Rare? If I have frame limiter ON and repeatedly toss grenades to the minimum distance, it will happen in approximately one third of the cases.

Frenzzy
  • Frenzzy

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (typicalgamer @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 21:20)
Rare? If I have frame limiter ON and repeatedly toss grenades to the minimum distance, it will happen in approximately one third of the cases.

Well, it doesn't happen as frequently in my game as you're stating. Anyways, it's not a big deal, since there's no good use to put it to. Neither is it dangerous. I am sure you are not going to throw grenades so close to yourself, unless you have nothing better to do. tounge2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users