How do I permanently block a website?

10 replies to this topic
xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

I am in need of some help here. I want to know if it's possible to completely block a certain website from being accessed in any shape or form. I'm not looking to be made fun of here, but I just want to let you know that I have Asperger's and am having some OCD-related issues in which I can't stop looking up stuff on some racist website. What I need to do is to block it completely so that I can't access it again. I want to be able to block results from Google search and I also want to be able to block the site from being accessed through the "Cached" option.

I am using Google Chrome just so you know. I am aware that there are certain apps that let you block results and sites. However, I have a habit of just disabling the app whenever I get a crazy urge. There is a text file called "robots.txt" out there that supposedly lets you block aspects of your own website. I want to know though if it blocks URLs all together.

I know I sound crazy but believe me, you don't know how it feels. Please don't question me, I'd just like any help you can suggest. Thanks. icon14.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

Tons of ways.

I like to use the built in windows host file.
CODE
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

In that directory there is a file called 'Hosts'. It has no extension, but it is just a text file that you open in notepad.

This is what the complete file looks like. The last two lines are what is used to prevent this computer from being able to access 'activate.software.com', and 'preactivate.software.com'

CODE
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1       localhost
# ::1             localhost
127.0.0.1    activate.software.com
127.0.0.1    practivate.software.com

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Nah, sorry dude. Great suggestion, but it didn't keep to work for me. I can still access the page through Google Cached, anyway to solve that?

Presuming the hosts.txt solution has worked for you, does it block the results and the cached copy or does it just block the site itself?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Surely any method you could use to block them would also allow you to unblock them at your will?

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Gst0395 @ Sunday, May 26 2013, 10:57)
Nah, sorry dude. Great suggestion, but it didn't keep to work for me. I can still access the page through Google Cached, anyway to solve that?

Presuming the hosts.txt solution has worked for you, does it block the results and the cached copy or does it just block the site itself?

Naturally you would be able to pull up the cached copy since that is stored on your computer. If you clear your cache all would be fine.

The method I presented will just prevent any new calls to the URL/URI.

edit...ahhh Google cache...missed that little detail. Well - you could always add googlecache(or whatever it is called) to your list in the Host file.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (trip @ Sunday, May 26 2013, 16:21)
Well - you could always add googlecache(or whatever it is called) to your list in the Host file.

I'll give that a try, thanks Trip.
Surely any method you could use to block them would also allow you to unblock them at your will?

You do have a point. Like I said though, I wanted to use a .txt file to block the sites and then put a password on the file (one I can't remember) so that I can't alter anything.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Right, this might sound long and drawn out, but it might stop your from being able to do it.

1) Download K9 Web Protection and set up a custom block list for the site you want blocked. This will block not only the site but any attempt to draw cached information from it. Secure this with a random, at least 24 character password created using...
2) KeePass password manager. The role of this software is to produce unique and computationally infeasible passwords for different sites, whilst still allowing access to all these passwords using a master password. Then...
3) Delete KeePass. You're unlikely to remember a 24-character randomly generated password, and even reinstalling KeePass won't recover them. You can only uninstall K9 using the password you set it up with, or nuke it using various nasty means that risk other data too.

That's the best I can offer. To make it better you could deny yourself admin privileges on your own computer, set up the block list as an admin using another random password and then delete KeePass.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Alright, I'll give that a try. Thanks mate.

I'll keep this forum updated on how it turns out.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:15 PM Edited by Gst0395, 26 May 2013 - 09:41 PM.

Okay so I downloaded K9 Web Protection. Although I'm a bit disappointed that you can't use the program on an entire network, I find it very user-friendly and useful. Although adding sites to a custom blocklist did not stop the site from being accessed through Google Cached, adding the name of the website to list of URL keywords to block instantly solved that problem. All I need to do is to get someone to write a password I don't know and I'm good to go.

I didn't mention before, there was already a blocker by TalkTalk broadband that my dad put on for the entire network in my house. However, it did not solve my issue with Google Cached, I just needed a blocker that could. As for the search results still showing up, I guess I'll just have to put Chrome's Personal Blocklist app on and try not to resist unblocking it. Otherwise, thanks for the help Sivis, and thank you as well Trip even though your suggestion didn't work for me.

UPDATE: A password was put on by my mum.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

Don't really wanna be *that guy*.. but seriously just learn some self control. You telling yourself you can't stop because you have OCD/Asperger's is an excuse.

That's like saying it's impossible for a smoker to quit cigarettes. All they have to do is not light up a cigarette. It may not be easy, but it sure is possible. You have the freewill to come here and ask for help, you're obviously aware you have a problem, the only thing missing is your actual will to quit. Just blocking yourself from access seems the way to drive yourself insane, actually making a conscious effort to quit when you know you can still access it is the way to go.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Monday, May 27 2013, 02:48)
Don't really wanna be *that guy*.. but seriously just learn some self control. You telling yourself you can't stop because you have OCD/Asperger's is an excuse.

That's like saying it's impossible for a smoker to quit cigarettes. All they have to do is not light up a cigarette. It may not be easy, but it sure is possible. You have the freewill to come here and ask for help, you're obviously aware you have a problem, the only thing missing is your actual will to quit. Just blocking yourself from access seems the way to drive yourself insane, actually making a conscious effort to quit when you know you can still access it is the way to go.

You know, you are absolutely right there. People have often compared my situation to giving up smoking. I have had ups and downs from time to time, sometimes managing a good full days without worry. I've had to receive counselling and see doctors throughout this experience which has mostly helped. You do have a point though. In the past when I've made attempts to block it I've often found alternate ways to get myself onto the site. What I need to do is to work at trying to resist. The problem is that is I don't look at it when I REALLY feel the need to, I keep getting excessive thoughts which stop me from being able to enjoy myself.

I wouldn't say my Aspergers/OCD is an excuse exactly. It was happening even before I was fully aware it was an Aspergers/OCD related issue. I do need more self-control though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users