Quantcast

» «
Photo

Would a movie set in the GTA Universe work?

14 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Seeing as this is a GTA Forum, we're all familiar with the GTA universe to some degree, right? What if, in all hypothetical sense, Rockstar came up with the idea (or someone approached Rockstar with the idea) to make a live-action movie set in the GTA universe. It probably wouldn't be a movie based on GTA to the strictest sense, but nevertheless, it would be interesting to see what kind of movie Rockstar could make with the GTA Universe. I can only imagine a movie similar to "New Kids Turbo" set in Carcer City, being filmed in Rust Belt cities like Cumberland, Pittsburgh, etc. but then again, that's just me. I'm interested in seeing what you guys think, though!

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

How would it be different to any other contemporary crime or action movie?
I think a movie based on the GTA2 or 3 story was rumoured like 10 years ago, but was never picked up. The GTA universe itself is realistic enough not to bother with anyway.

Simoneski
  • Simoneski

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

The writers at Rockstar are talented but I hope a GTA movie never gets made. I doesn't need to be made and I wouldn't trust the movie industry with it anyway. If I want to watch a GTA story and I watch a walkthrough.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (Simoneski @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 16:22)
The writers at Rockstar are talented but I hope a GTA movie never gets made. I doesn't need to be made and I wouldn't trust the movie industry with it anyway. If I want to watch a GTA story and I watch a walkthrough.

Maybe it doesn't have to be a GTA movie, but it could be set in the GTA universe, like, what if Rockstar made a Manhunt movie? It could be a movie set in the GTA universe, like for example, the cars and billboards have GTA branding on them rather than real-life stuff.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

But what is the point? R* is trying to recreate real world in their games, so setting movie in their world wouldn't change much. Couple of different names is all you would get. Not worth it.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

how would it NOT work?
it would be a fairly typical action movie.

I mean, you could basically consider the Die Hard franchise with Bruce Willis to be like unofficial GTA movies and it would make perfect sense.
small-time vigilante uncovers massive criminal plot then proceeds to blow up half the city while taking down the bad guys. sometimes he even clashes with the police. there's car jacking, stunt jumps, car chases, shootouts, explosions, etc etc.

a GTA movie would totally work because it's basically been done a hundred times before tounge2.gif

bluetops
  • bluetops

Chupacabra

• Members

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:10 AM Edited by bluetops, 26 May 2013 - 12:12 AM.

The Houser brothers themselves said that they won't make a GTA movie because it will just look like any other gangster movies out there.

But, I really like to see one. But I can't pick the style. I was thinking that it should be over-the-top like San Andreas just to be different from the gangster movies of 80s-90s, but it will be sh*t. A GTA film more inclined to IV will be great too. If they would make a Vice City like movie, it will just be Scarface. In a fictional Miami.

The thing I'm looking forward to a GTA film is how they will make the set-up for a fictional city. Or, will they use fictional cities at all? I also like to see how will they do the cars.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

Drive is the closest thing to a GTA movie.
Appreciate it.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (Chukkles @ Sunday, May 26 2013, 02:44)
Drive is the closest thing to a GTA movie.
Appreciate it.

This. After seeing Drive I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to see a GTA movie. But if they did it should be similar to Quentin Tarantino's 90's work like Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Just watch Crank 1 and 2 they are very similar.

Simoneski
  • Simoneski

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 22:59)
QUOTE (Simoneski @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 16:22)
The writers at Rockstar are talented but I hope a GTA movie never gets made. I doesn't need to be made and I wouldn't trust the movie industry with it anyway.  If I want to watch a GTA story and I watch  a walkthrough.

Maybe it doesn't have to be a GTA movie, but it could be set in the GTA universe, like, what if Rockstar made a Manhunt movie? It could be a movie set in the GTA universe, like for example, the cars and billboards have GTA branding on them rather than real-life stuff.

Hmm, I still don't want a real life GTA universe, personally. If they do make a movie it should be something unrelated to their previous games.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

There are many films that can resemble the GTA. I remember watching a 1970's film called Across 110th Street, set in New York City (it's about some guys who rob a mafia local and the consequences it has; shootouts in the roofs of these old NYC buildings and a lot of violence) and right after telling to a friend that I think I knew were Rockstar took inspiration to make GTA IV.

Target13Productions
  • Target13Productions

Member of the Row

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Making a movie would just spoil the series.

fridaynightscream
  • fridaynightscream

Lost Kings Street Soldier, Fighting And Making Money.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

I don't think they should make a movie, but if did it could be a really good crime movie

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

I would love to see a movie about the origin of Piggsy.

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users