Quantcast

» «
Photo

Building a PC

2 replies to this topic
Audiophile
  • Audiophile

And your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:29 AM Edited by Audiophile, 25 May 2013 - 02:32 AM.

So I have decided that I am sick of my gaming laptop and I want to get a PC. It's finally time....

I have never built a PC before and I want to do so this time round rather than purchase one in store. I don't want some powerful nuclear reactor PC but I want one that's going to last me a few years and play games decently.

I am a total noob when it comes to this so I am asking my fellow forum members for help. In terms of CPU and GPU I prefer Intel and NVidia.

I've been looking at this site to get the parts: http://www.canadacomputers.com/

I don't really want to order online because I am never home to accept the delivery when it comes and the depot is a good hour away from me on a decent day. So from Canada Computers I will be able to get it in-store.

I have about $700 free right now but at the end of September I will have a budget of about $1.5k.....

So...wat do? Should I just get a store-bought one or try to build it myself even though I am a total noob at that and will more than likely f*ck it up and get a wrong part.

Oh and right now the laptop that I have is:
Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz with turbo-boost
6.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1536 MB dedicated graphics
Windows 8

So as long as it's better than that, I will be happy.

loony979
  • loony979

Homie

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:29 AM Edited by loony979, 25 May 2013 - 09:12 PM.

Heya Audiophile

I also prefer Intel and NVidia.
Congrads on now thinking of moving to PC ,for me lappies are shocking .

So you want to build a PC with a budget NP what so ever i have also done this.

--------tower-------
Ok lets get you started the 1st thing you will need to Build you're 1st PC is a Tower
Find 1 that looks nice for you're likes also keep in you're mind that a nice Tower should not @ all be so expensive look for say around lets say $150 MAX -

With that price range now look for a good brand like Antec - Cooler Master - Corsair (Others may say a different type) But @ the end of the day this is for you & what you like ,& what you like in terms of looks - ( Aesthetics ) ...
Surly you will find a nice looking Tower & hell it may come with a window to be able to view inside it & bling it up (Later) 1st you need a system to get you going.

-------Mother Board-------
With choosing a Mother Board for the 1st time ,have in mind what Brand you like the most or that looks right for you that you ( once again like to look @ - ( Aesthetics ) ...
Now what brands are the good ones (in my opinion)
My choices & recommendation choices for you're build are :

.ASUS
.ASrock
.Gigabyte

In my world of pc building ive only ever used 2 types of Mother Boards my 1st was a ASrock ,Worked like a charm back in the day no issues ,Since this is a build that you mostly don't know what or even how to build it ,ill suggest to grab an Asus Motherboard .
My choice For you would be the : ASUS P8Z77-M
Very affordable @ around $100 & has a heap you can do to it.

-----------PSU-Power Supply Unit-----------
This part can be a slight tricky as i am not 100% sure on what you are going to be running on you're Machine - So lets have a stab @ it anyway & say you got a GPU- graphics Card a decent 1 say a GTX 660 ti ,i would now suggest you get a Corsair - Cooler Master ,there are a heap of brands that can do well .So what you realy need to look for is say a 650w PSU they can cost a bit of money depends so ill suggest this :Corsair GS600 600W Quiet Gaming Series nice price just under $100

-------------CPU------------
Now pls note : that a CPU is you Machines brain it's the part that has to be able to do alot of things ,if the CPU is not that strong it won't run fast ,or even be able to provide you're needs .
So if you do go for the LGA 1155 type build i would suggest a i5 3570K this CPU i have & am running now it's not that much to pick up around $200 -$240 . & if later on you decide to OverClock if has the ability to do so ... that CPU is more than fine to run any game .

-------------GPU------------
Now this part is you're Visual World .So it would be nice to grab a decent 1 for you're Budget ill recommend :Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 ( 1gb But ill suggest getting a 2gb version for extra headroom on Visuals (((This Will Allow Seetings To Be Set Higher ))) ,they are a great GPU & affordable @ around $150

-------------HDD-----------
There are 2 types on witch people use now
SSD-HDD both are great but 1 loads into you're operating system more fast .for you're Budget ill suggest : 1tb 0r 2tb HDD that should be around or less than $90

---------DVD DRIVE--------
this part is up to you ( is needed )
just make sure it's a Burner & cheap should be able to pick 1 up @ you're local dealer for say around $49-how ever dear they go i suggest : Looks over anything as they are all great these days anyway.

Ok so i think ive covered a fair bit for you .if you have any questions Pls do ask .
AS NO QUESTION CAN BE TO STUPID ,believe me - I Know - ive been in you situation b4 starting to learn it & @ the end of the day it's not realy that hard to ...

Good Luck with the hardware choices & do get back to us on how to fit it all in ... Any question on either Components if a bit worried ,don't not ask Do Ask... we all can help you out...

------------------------- biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif ----------------------------

Reincarnated
  • Reincarnated

feels good man

• Members

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

You might also want to check out some other sites that also sell computer parts (may get it cheaper):

Newegg

Tigerdirect

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users